HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thinking of selling my current XD-M to get an HK. I like the idea of the smaller grip on the USPc... and though I know the full size is only about 3/4 of an inch longer, how much better does it shoot accurately? Especially with follow up shots?

Sorry if it's a stupid question, but does the USPc also have the same recoil reduction system on it?

I ask these questions because my Wife will need something that is comfortable in her hand as a CCW. We've both held the USP 9mm and it's fine for me... not the most comfortable gun I ever held, but I want something fast and accurate on a draw if necessary, especially since I am going to take some self defense courses with this gun.

The XD-M just has to much recoil for her and pushes her back, as well as it being a 5.25" barrel. It shoots very accurate, but just a little to big... about an inch longer than even the FS USP I would imagine.

·
Registered
589 Posts
There are several old threads about the differences in recoil spring systems and recoil behavior between the USP fs and c models. Newer HKs use recoil springs similar to the c.

Both the fs and c recoils are very manageable. People who are skilled enough to perceive the differences tend to report that the fs recoil response resembles a figure-8 movement ever so slightly, while the c moves more straightforwardly up and down.

My primary is the USP .45 fs, while my wife chose the USPc .45, because, like the 9mm siblings, the c has a slimmer grip. Both are delightful to shoot.

Good luck to you and your wife on your eventual choice. Either will be very enjoyable.

·
Registered
596 Posts
+1

The USPc recoil system, while different, is still quite comfortable.
The USPc's are plenty accurate as defensive firearms. My USPc .45 was a duty sidearm for one of the local police forces who carried them for many years. Good enough for the pros, good enough for me.

·
Premium Member
5,017 Posts
Before you spend any money, take a class. Guns don't make you fast, it's the person running the gun that makes it fast.

On another note, a full size USP will be difficult to conceal and it is definitely difficult to find a firearm that suits two shooters.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you kindly for the replys all. With my Wife... I want her to be able to keep it in her purse and when she gets out of work have her hand on the trigger and be ready to shoot through it if necessary, for me... really whatever gun fits my hand, tends to also fit hers quite well. If I have to i'll buy 2 of them. With her safety I don't mind the extra money obviously.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
If shooting from the inside of the purse was the plan, then recoil shouldn't be a problem because I highly doubt the gun will function after the 1st shot.

Keeping the finger on the trigger while walking around with no target might not be the smartest thing to do, either.

·
Premium Member
5,017 Posts
Thank you kindly for the replys all. With my Wife... I want her to be able to keep it in her purse and when she gets out of work have her hand on the trigger and be ready to shoot through it if necessary, for me... really whatever gun fits my hand, tends to also fit hers quite well. If I have to i'll buy 2 of them. With her safety I don't mind the extra money obviously.
Are you being serious?

·
Registered
589 Posts
The wags around here, and I count myself as one, would assert that there is no such thing as buying only one HK, though we accept not necessarily at one time. So, if you buy one, the second is by definition in your future.

One recommendation might be that if your wife's CCW is to be a purse gun, you and she might want to give the P2000SK a look. The USPc 9mm is absolutely a wonderful CCW, but, depending on how your wife operates, it may be just large enough or heavy enough for her to wish for the SK when carrying a purse.

If you are able to buy two in a short time, a USPc and SK would be outstanding choices and cover many CCW possibilities.

If I had to have and live only with one HK (we're being PURELY hypothetical here), my choice would have to be our USPc .45, because my wife and I like it and it fits us (the USP c .45 is slightly larger and heavier than the USPc 9mm/40 cal). But I do have an SK for some CCW and were she to want to carry in a purse. It is a wonderful, fun shooter with surprisingly and very well controlled recoil. When we go to the range with women friends, they all get a hoot out of shooting the SK. They like its size and easy recoil. Hitting the target is no problem either, but, joking aside, it is wonderfully accurate, too.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what I mean is not like ready to shoot as in cocked and not locked so it's a hair trigger, but to be ready. Both of us will be taking classes on defensive training at a local place, so that won't be an issue.

Leicar7... I do like the .45, as I do feel like a bigger hole will just do more damage with a nice ranger T or gold dot in it. The 9 mm ammo is just soooooooooo much cheaper though. It also carries so many more rounds than the .45 (not that in a defensive situation you would likely need more than 8 shots anyway.. but you know for just target practice and such. I feel the 9 would do it's job well.

I guess it's more of a USP FS vs USPc in terms of carry I know one is smaller, but it just doesn't seem like 3/4 or so of an inch shorter that the USPc would make much of a difference... I guess when it comes to carrying it does though huh?

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Here's my $0.02, which didn't cost you anything.

I'm no professional, if you're looking for something that doesn't have as you call a "hair trigger", for your wife to carry in her purse, for the purpose of shooting through the purse, then buy her a small frame revolver and slap some 38+p rounds in there. I do not agree with a woman carrying a gun in her purse, it's the first thing the thieves look to take off of a female. You just loaded her purse with a gun that can be used against her or others, not a bright idea by any means.

As for the gun being ready, cocked and locked is ready for the V1 USP's, works like a 1911. Instead of being paranoid about the safety, or how heavy or light the trigger is, as has already been mentioned, get some training (both of you).

Most places have a gun you can rent for the class. A firearm is a decent expense, and one that should have much more thought put into it than most give it. Learn how to shoot first, put yourself in an environment where you will shoot under stress, with one hand, with just your weak hand, etc, and have to draw from a holster. Then go look for a gun to BUY.

You wouldn't buy a car without test driving it right, so go learn how to shoot, then if possible take a range day with the wife and rent a few different guns and shoot them side by side to see what you guys do or don't like. This is the best way (IMHO) to go about this. It will save you a lot of money in the long run because you won't be buying a gun that isn't right for you and then selling it basically brand new for a few hundred dollars less than you paid just to offset the cost of a new firearm that you "think" you want.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks all for the advice.... a couple of things however.

1. She and I both know how to shoot and have shot plenty of rounds with 1911's, 9mm's .40's and of course the .45 we own. I do know what cocked and locked is which is why I stated that I personally feel safer having a gun that the safety is like the 1911 style. I just like the idea better.

2. I have stated a few times that we BOTH do intend to train at the place local to use that teaches how to shoot under ALL types of conditions... so that's not an issue.
3. As far as the purse thing goes... i'm not worried about someone stealing her money... i'm more concerned about her getting raped or beaten.
4. I asked about the recoil, because shooting multiple rounds with some guns accurately is sometimes more difficult that with a smaller caliber such as the 9mm. Though I have a .45 now it's just flat out to big of a gun.

I was just wanting to get some opinions on how one gun shoots compared to the other... in this case being the USPc vs. the USP FS. I'm sure the full size would be more accurate in the hands of someone trained than the compact just because the HK's are known to be accurate guns with lower recoil. So basically, would I be ok as far as with a USPc 9mm or other caliber for that matter when it comes to the recoil. My XD-M gives quite a kick and not a gun I would like to use if I ever or she ever had to do so.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Thanks all for the advice.... a couple of things however.

1. She and I both know how to shoot and have shot plenty of rounds with 1911's, 9mm's .40's and of course the .45 we own. I do know what cocked and locked is which is why I stated that I personally feel safer having a gun that the safety is like the 1911 style. I just like the idea better.

2. I have stated a few times that we BOTH do intend to train at the place local to use that teaches how to shoot under ALL types of conditions... so that's not an issue.
3. As far as the purse thing goes... i'm not worried about someone stealing her money... i'm more concerned about her getting raped or beaten.
4. I asked about the recoil, because shooting multiple rounds with some guns accurately is sometimes more difficult that with a smaller caliber such as the 9mm. Though I have a .45 now it's just flat out to big of a gun.

I was just wanting to get some opinions on how one gun shoots compared to the other... in this case being the USPc vs. the USP FS. I'm sure the full size would be more accurate in the hands of someone trained than the compact just because the HK's are known to be accurate guns with lower recoil. So basically, would I be ok as far as with a USPc 9mm or other caliber for that matter when it comes to the recoil. My XD-M gives quite a kick and not a gun I would like to use if I ever or she ever had to do so.
The V1 one cocked and locked is just like a 1911. It has a safety. There are other variants that don't but that's another discussion. As others have stated the recoil will be marginally less with the compact versus the full-size, but IMHO not enough to change how "shootable" the gun is. Smaller guns are more difficult to shoot accurately, period. If you guys are use to the 45 then the 9MM should be a non issue as far as recoil goes. My wife loves the 1911's as well, so I understand exactly where you're at. She likes 9MM and 45 and if you giver her a choice any day at the range she is looking for the first full size 45ACP gun we took that day. As for the stolen money thing, I was not necessarily referring to that, just stating the facts. People trying to walk off with a womans purse is more common than one would think, it would be better if your wife carried the gun on her instead of in her purse.

The USP's are built like tanks and you can't go wrong with either size. For repeated fast and accurate shots a compact 9MM is hard to beat for a female user.

Again just my opinion.

FM

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
If you teach her to shoot from the purse, then the USP (or any semi auto) will suffer a stoppage on the 1st shot and she will be raped by an even angrier person who's bleeding on her. If she's planning on making shots from inside the purse, she needs a revolver. Period. Count me strongly in the on-body-carry camp, but if this is the method she's chosen then she needs the right tool for the job, just like someone who's plan calls for making shots from a pocket.

If the gun is only planning to be carried in the purse and drawn, not fired from the purse, then I think a more suiting choice would be the P2000sk. The P2000sk has a dual spring recoil assembly like the fullsize USP......many HKPRO members consider it more pleasant to shoot/easier to control than a P2000 or USPc.

what I mean is not like ready to shoot as in cocked and not locked so it's a hair trigger, but to be ready. Both of us will be taking classes on defensive training at a local place, so that won't be an issue.
The problem isn't that it's a hair trigger or not.....the problem is you stated placing the hand (I assume that meant finger) on the trigger. You don't walk around contacting the trigger. Nor does placing your finger on the trigger before appropriate enable you to fire appreciably quicker. Good read on this: pistol-training.com » Blog Archive » The Finger

Enjoy the training!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
does anyone here CC a full sized USP? Harder obviously to conceal, but it seems like it wouldn't be much more difficult that the USPc given it's just a little shorter, or does that make a big difference? Perhaps the HK45 is a possible choice along with the others?

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Please get some training under your belt before or right after your wife and you purchase a pistol.

Are you being serious?
LOL. I too was like :eek:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I mean it looks like a very nice gun... a little more pricey than I was looking to spend, but I don't mind if it's the typically reliable HK. For me I think recoil and accuracy are the 2 biggest things with the later obviously being mostly the person shooting the gun.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts