HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm almost to the point of assembling my PTR-91 build, and want a finish that will work besides parkerizing. I say this because my barrel is an 18" stainless, and we all know what heppens when you mix manganese phosphate with stainless steel. It has the metal for a snack :( Anyway, what kind of Gun-Kote or other finish does anyone here recommend? I will not be finishing the bolt, or trunnion face. I was thinking Gun-Kote, as it seems to work well with the other weapon systems I have finished before; just no experience as to how it works with the G3.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Melonite.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Ghilliebear 2000, I had leaned towards the Gun-Kote. As for the Melonite, could anyone clue me in as to what I need to finish it in this? And, since I do not have a full shop at home, how feasable is this as a do-it-yourself project? I've used the Gun-Kote before with only minor wear on moving parts, and it's been a very tough finish. I mainly like it's rust resistant properties, which is why I would use it; I prefer low maintenance, though I still clean my weapons regularly.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I'm almost to the point of assembling my PTR-91 build, and want a finish that will work besides parkerizing. I say this because my barrel is an 18" stainless, and we all know what heppens when you mix manganese phosphate with stainless steel. It has the metal for a snack :( Anyway, what kind of Gun-Kote or other finish does anyone here recommend? I will not be finishing the bolt, or trunnion face. I was thinking Gun-Kote, as it seems to work well with the other weapon systems I have finished before; just no experience as to how it works with the G3.
Nothing happens to stainless steel when you place it into a parkerizing tank. Almost everyone who parkerizes use a stainless steel tank/pan. Small park projects can go into an all glass pot. If you place aluminum into a hot park tank, then say good bye to your parts. I would blast the entire gun and parkerize it, then finish it with Gunkote. You can lightly coat the interior with an overspray mist. It won't hurt anything. If your gun cannot function with a light coat of paint on the inside, then your parts are off. I do this all the time no problem. Place a few drops of CLP on the interior and wipe it down.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Classic blueing, IMO. If you feel the need for something more modern, then any version of a cera-kote.

·
Registered
10,256 Posts
Blueing doesn't affect SS either. I for one, agree with jfk. All my stuff has have always been parked and then painted. Almost bulletproof... kinda, maybe.

And I've used Gunkote also, even have it as issued eons ago in a rattlebomb can. Still have three or four, unused... whether it's still good now, I have no idea. I'd prolly be better off draining the cans and using the stuff outta an airbrush.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts