HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to buy 1 HK rifle. Only can afford one. So no buy more comments :)

What are prices for a nice HK rifle, caliber really don't matter, I'm open to as many suggestions as you can muster. Thank you

Not so much price checking, as recommending a good HK rifle for purchase

·
Registered
157 Posts
IMHO I would really consider the HK 91. That is if caliber truly doesn't matter. The magazines are plentiful and don't cost a fortune. You can find a clean HK 91 for a pretty decent price these days and they are holding their value. The HK 93 is a good option as well but the cost goes up for ownership. The limited availability means a higher up front cost, and as it seems, that cost carries over. The magazines cost more and seem to have limited availability as well. That being said, If you do want a rifle with less recoil and lower ammo cost, go with the 93. I know that these two aren't your only choice but these are the two that are in my collection.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I actually agree with GFarmer, but have another thought as well. I would buy an HK93, a parts kits, and build an HK53. It will be worth a decent piece of change, plus it shoots cheaper .223 ammo. Just my $.02.

Sean

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Agree with above recommendation...the best version of an AR out there IMO. Incredibly accurate, wonderful fit and finish and plentiful ammo, some milspec AR parts do cross over. Not to mention a likely value increase over time. With HK stopping import of MR556A1's until 2017. Combining that with the way election looks to be shaking out that may never come to fruition so values should continue to rise.

Only negative I see may be proprietary parts availability going forward if an import ban happens. JAT

·
Premium Member
2,638 Posts
Of course all that is said on MR556 is correct, it's a wonderful weapon. That said, the classic HK rifle is the G3/91. If I could have only one as an enthusiast, I would pick up a 91. If this is your only SHTF weapon, the 91 would still do fine, but the MR would have an edge. 91 parts are plentiful and cheap; MR ones are not and they are like all things HK $$$.

·
Registered
8 Posts
IMHO I would really consider the HK 91. That is if caliber truly doesn't matter. The magazines are plentiful and don't cost a fortune. You can find a clean HK 91 for a pretty decent price these days and they are holding their value. The HK 93 is a good option as well but the cost goes up for ownership. The limited availability means a higher up front cost, and as it seems, that cost carries over. The magazines cost more and seem to have limited availability as well. That being said, If you do want a rifle with less recoil and lower ammo cost, go with the 93. I know that these two aren't your only choice but these are the two that are in my collection.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
123 Posts
I only have one H&K rifle, the USC. I've bought all the parts to do the UMP conversion and just waiting on saving the money to have it converted. I know the USC's are hard to come by now, but I would recommend a USC.

·
Registered
6,398 Posts
If you just want a safe queen, get a 91. It represents the G3 and that will always be the one that started it all. The mags are dirt cheap but doesn't matter much because you don't need very many, cause it's painful to shoot very much.

The 93 is a blast. It is extremely shootable and uses more economical ammo. The mags are a bit expensive but non HK versions are available that work well. If you want a shooter that is also a legacy, the 93 is the way to go. And if you ever make a new friend who has a sear, or get the right numbers in the lotto, you can rock and roll.

The MR 556 is a great rifle, but it's still an advanced AR. Nothing wrong with that, but it's not a legacy HK like the 9x series.

The USC is nice but still a pistol round, and needs to be converted to a UMP to gather much interest. Tack on an extra chunk for that. And it was meant to replace the MP5 via cheaper manufacturing and simple blowback, so no delayed roller locking bolt.

Then there's the SL8 which also needs a conversion to get it somewhat G36 like. Otherwise, to me, it's kind of ugly and seems to mostly represent a bench rest target shooter.

So, in a nutshell, and if you don't want to commit to a conversion:
Hk91 for maximum power and overall badass weapon battle rifle
HK93 or MR556 for great shooter and SHTF functionality

Just my opinions. I'm sure I'll piss someone off but that's sort of the risk with honest opinions.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
If you are looking for the real HK experience then go with one of the roller lock rifles, preferably in .308 as the 93 is a 9 pound rifle in a weak caliber.

The 416/417 are simply overpriced AR clones.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I own an early slim forearm HK 91, HK SR9TC, HK MR556, HK MR762 and owned an HK 93. It was the only one I ever sold. Just couldn't get it to shoot well. Sold it shortly after i got it. Get the MR556.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I want to buy 1 HK rifle. Only can afford one. So no buy more comments :)

What are prices for a nice HK rifle, caliber really don't matter, I'm open to as many suggestions as you can muster. Thank you

Not so much price checking, as recommending a good HK rifle for purchase
I would go with either a 91 or 93, both nice quality rifles.

·
Registered
188 Posts
In this order:

HK94
HK91
HK93
HK USC
HK SL8

·
Registered
59 Posts
I don't have any MR556 experience, but I love my 33K clone. Cheap ammo, reliable, and has that classic HK look! Magazines are a bit expensive, but how many do you really need? The MKE mags are only $35, so if you can stand not having HK brand mags, inexpensive options are out there.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Glad to hear that you are finally ready to buy the best.
In my 40+ yrs of collecting firearms one thing I have learned is don't wimp out by saying" that's too expensive".
If you do , then in time you will be saying" I wish I would have bought it back then"...
This is especially true with HK weapons.
Buy original German in the best condition you can find.
When you hear your thoughts telling you..." wow that's too expensive".
Ignore it! Sell something , borrow, trade , find the money.
In time you will never regret it.
Go for the rare hard to find. Don't think you can't shoot it. Just because it's rare. Go ahead shoot the NIB old stock 94, 93,91 etc.
If a firearm is too rare to shoot then it belongs in a museum not locked away in a safe waiting for the value to go up.
It will gain value regardless of being used or not.
Just take care of it... and in the future your life will be richer.
Oh yeah just a heads up.... once you have one others will follow.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Glad to hear that you are finally ready to buy the best.
In my 40+ yrs of collecting firearms one thing I have learned is don't wimp out by saying" that's too expensive".
If you do , then in time you will be saying" I wish I would have bought it back then"...
This is especially true with HK weapons.
Buy original German in the best condition you can find.
When you hear your thoughts telling you..." wow that's too expensive".
Ignore it! Sell something , borrow, trade , find the money.
In time you will never regret it.
Go for the rare hard to find. Don't think you can't shoot it. Just because it's rare. Go ahead shoot the NIB old stock 94, 93,91 etc.
If a firearm is too rare to shoot then it belongs in a museum not locked away in a safe waiting for the value to go up.
It will gain value regardless of being used or not.
Just take care of it... and in the future your life will be richer.
Oh yeah just a heads up.... once you have one others will follow.
Well said. Sage words, no doubt borne of experience.

You could freely substitute "Winchesters", "Colts", or even "chainsaws" for "HK weapons".

1 - 20 of 22 Posts