HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have the VP9 now, and am already thinking about my next HK. I want to stick with 9mm.

Am I correct in assuming that the most well proven and rugged 9mm HK handgun is the USP?

I must admit I a bit confused by the P2000 and P30, trying to place them on a scale of pro/con.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Depends on what your wanting to do with it. USP9 Expert for a range tool. Any P7 variant for a carry would be my recommendations.

·
Super Moderator
6,045 Posts
I would go USP9 or P30. The single action on the P30 is the only sticking point. But the P30 is an amazing gun other than that, my favorite of the P30's being the P30L. I'm also interestingly going to direct you towards the P30SK, the best subcompact out there, if you're looking for a backup gun or deep concealment piece....that runs off of P30/VP9 mags. The USP9 is a fine shooting pistol, and overall a tank like gun.

P2000 is kinda like the bastard child between the USP and P30 series. Which is kind of an over characterization of the situation. But it had the least amount of time in the spotlight before being pushed aside by another model. It has the same caca SA reset as the P30, but it's USPc 9mm sized. It's almost identical to the HK45c in size, and Identical in grip texture. The benefit is P2000's are cheap as all get out now. There's places selling them for $450-500 now. Big box stores are around $550-600. Which given the price point they originally came in at, is a screaming deal..

Honestly, you can't lose in an HK 9mm......unless you get a VP70....stay away from that gun.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Am I correct in assuming that the most well proven and rugged 9mm HK handgun is the USP?
I would say there's little to no difference between them in terms of ruggedness or being "proven," as they are all direct descendants of one another, down to nearly identical internals.

The USP has been around the longest, followed by the P2000 (different grip shape, replaceable backstrap, ambidextrous slide release), then the P30 (most ergonomic grip shape, replaceable side panels along with the replaceable backstrap, decocker on the DA/SA version moved to the rear of the slide, ambi slide release, different slide "styling"/front slide serrations, larger magazine release tabs).

The P2000 and P30 "inherited" the USP's "proven" design. FWIW, the P30 was the subject of a test that ended at 90,000 rounds.

I must admit I a bit confused by the P2000 and P30, trying to place them on a scale of pro/con.
There's no real "technical" reason to rate one above another, so the choice is personal preference -- you really have to put them in hand and see which one "speaks" to you. To me, the only significant difference beyond the feel of the grip is the P30's movement of the decocker to the rear of the slide -- which is not an issue if you start with an LEM trigger version. As to the rest of the controls even as a left-hander, I'm so used to operating right-hander USPs and 1911s with my left hand that the addition of an ambi slide release on the P2000 and P30 wasn't a reason to prefer one over the other.

Disclosure: I have .45 USPs, and P30/P30SKs in 9MM. This is not a caliber-based preference between the models, it reflects the availability of different models at the time of acquisition over the last 20 years, and the specific use cases. For example, in 1999, the USP was the only choice and at the time I was shooting mostly .45. Flash forward to this year, and I have a USP Elite .45 because they became available in a short production run. If a 9MM USP came along at the right price, I'd grab it, but when I decided to go 9MM I chose the P30L for the ergonomics, and yesterday picked up a P30SK for on-body CCW (actually, our 2nd SK, as my spouse decided the first SK was hers!).

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Think about what you want to do with your next pistol, before you buy another. There are features that I insist on for certain uses, an example being that I want a hammer on any carry pistol, so I can have my thumb on it as I holster. For any kind of range pistol, I shoot them a lot better if they fill my (big) hand, and I like simple black sights. You may have such strong feelings. In the alternative, most people that do a lot of shooting have two pistols that are as close to identical as possible, one for practice, and one for competition.

It is nice to have fewer calibers to stock ammo for, but during the depths of each of the last several firearms panics, .40 S&W was still easy to find, and 9mm was not.

Before you buy another pistol, you might want to look into caliber conversions. For several 9mm pistols I have .22 and .40 S&W conversions. H&K makes 9mm and .40 S&W conversions for the .45 USPf (they just don't send them here), and there are aftermarket .22 conversions.

·
Registered
841 Posts
So, I have the VP9 now, and am already thinking about my next HK. I want to stick with 9mm.

My P2000 and P2000SK are my favorite carry guns, and you can get the grip extensions to run your VP9 mags in them (all compatible). My P30L is my favorite overall gun, but for compact purposes, the P2000 is about the size of a Glock 19, so its the easiest "large" gun to conceal and carry, plus they are pretty cheap right now ($550 from CDNN I think). If you don't have a sub compact, the P2000SK (or P30SK) is also inexpensive and incredibly comfortable for a small handgun.

Do you need two full size guns, or are you looking to get different sizes? I like to have at least a full size, compact and sub compact for every occasion, now that I do, I just buy more full size guns for fun shooting.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'd go with either a USPc or P2000. Like the look more than the P30 especially with the finger rest base plate. Look so cool. For carry I'd go with the P2000 as the USPc has pretty aggressive grip texture. The P2000 is merely an evolution of the USP. I also kinda like the decocker on the rear of the slide. The P30 has a more similar grip to your VP9 though so that may be a factor for you. Can't go wrong with any of the three though.

·
Registered
266 Posts
usp or p30 imop ..Seen some good deals on them esp the usp ie cop trade in guns ditto mags only issues is the rail on the older USP ...Or you could go classic and find a p7m8 but they are a bit pricy now

·
Registered
73 Posts
I agree with Navyman.. It's hard to pass up a P2000 right now at current prices. My local dealer is blowing them out at $499. I am seriously thinking of picking up a 2nd one at that price. The fact that they take VP9/P30 mags is a bonus.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'm seriously considering the P30SK.
I really like my p30sk. For the P2000 vs P30, as everyone says it's personal preference. I give the edge to the p30 platform because of the universal rail in case you want to mount a light for nightstand duty. But if Steve is right and you can get a new p2000/sk for under $500 I would jump on that!

One other thing to consider is shot show 2017 is coming up and I wouldn't be suprised if they released a VP9sk.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts