HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed my Meprolights last week and took it to the range today. I've got the sights right where I want them now - but they're a bit easier to adjust than I want them to be and I'm afraid they'll get knocked out of line at some point.

I know you can put blue locktite on when first installing them, but I did not do that (and if I had I would have broken the bond adjusting them today anyway).

Is there something I can squirt in there now that will help keep them from moving - but that won't be permanent and won't prevent future adjustments?

They're not loose or anything - they're just not quite as tight as I'd like them

Thanks!
Glen

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm... that looks like it might work. It's difficult to tell how it compares with the blue (242) and red (262) normal stuff based on the data sheets.

I wonder if you can get that in auto parts stores... I think I've seen green in there before.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I used guntite on mine and it worked great and has resisted all the cleaning chemicals so far.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Loctite solves all sight problems.

Loctite's threadlocker products come in different grades of strength, to suit the particular application.

Blue Removable No. 242, 243, 246, 248, 2432 & 2440 - Used for things you may want to unscrew with minimal hassle. It cures into a brittle, glassy bond that takes one good twist to break, but removes cleanly after that. Preferably to be used with Valve Covers, Water Pumps and Oil Pan Bolts.

Red High-Strength No. 271, 262, 266, 268, 272, 277 & 2760 - Used on things that you don't want to take apart for a long time. It requires heat from a torch or iron (to 250° C) to loosen its grip. It cures into a thicker, sticky bond that holds up better against vibration and shocks. Preferably to be used with automotive and mechanical operation such as nuts and bolts on Cars, Motorbikes, Ski-doo's and Boats.

Green - penetrating grade No. 220(blue), 290 & 294 - Used for use on parts that have already been assembled.

Purple - low strength grade No. 222MS & 222 - Used for set screws.

For Plastic threads - No. 425. - Used for small plastic threads.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Shouldn't need any glue. . .

You shouldn't need any glue. . . the bottom of the sight should have a hollow area on the part that fits in the dovetail. If you look at it closely, you will notice that the hollow has one thin wall which can be bent in or out to make it fit tighter or looser in the dovetail. If you put the sight in a bench vise (after wrapping it in paper or something to protect it from the jaws of the vise), you can tap the thin wall out a bit with an ordinary hammer and a flat-head screwdriver. . . that will make it as tight as you want. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts