HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newb question here.

What's the purpose of painting the recoil spring of the P2000 red?
I bought the pistol new. After a thorugh cleaning and oiling, the red paint began to bleed.

I've fired approx 500 rds through the pistol and cleaned it three times. The red paint is nearly gone.

What's the purpose of the paint?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Identification at the factory. Used to tell differences in springs.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Red paint on the recoil spring signifies 9mm and I think the .375 SIG also, rated springs. Larger calibers use higher rated springs and are not painted red.

·
Registered
18,642 Posts
Red paint on the recoil spring signifies 9mm and I think the .375 SIG also, rated springs. Larger calibers use higher rated springs and are not painted red.
Yeah, I thought that was the case, too, until I looked at my P2000SK .40. It has a Red recoil spring.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hmmm, I forget which site it was I was just on a few days ago checking the parts because I have a .357 SIG barrel on the way for my USPc .40S&W and was checking the differences in the springs. I think it was HK Parts. But I looked at the recoil springs on there and they were listed as different because of the red paint mark. I not an expert but my USPc in .40 does not have red paint but my P30 and P2000sk in 9mm does.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I might be mixing up my recoil springs on the USPc and the P2000sk. I'm away from home right now so I dont have them in front of me to compare but the parts site shows only one recoil spring for the P2000sk in all calibers and instead of a plastic bushing there is a second spring over the rod like you shown in your photo.
Yeah, I thought that was the case, too, until I looked at my P2000SK .40. It has a Red recoil spring.

·
Registered
18,642 Posts
I might be mixing up my recoil springs on the USPc and the P2000sk. I'm away from home right now so I dont have them in front of me to compare but the parts site shows only one recoil spring for the P2000sk in all calibers and instead of a plastic bushing there is a second spring over the rod like you shown in your photo.
There is only one recoil assembly for both 9mm and .40. They're identical, down to the part number. The P2000SK is the only modern HK gun that has this unique 2-part recoil assembly, if I am not mistaken. The majority of them have the plastic buffer over the spring, and the full-size USPs have the dual recoil springs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts