HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been recommended several options on refinishes available from different companies for my new P7 from their previous work on HK guns..
So far I am interested in these:

http://www.robarguns.com/np3.htm (20% off special right now until Dec 31, 07...comes with teflon coating option and numerous technical mumbo-jumbo that sounds very convincing)

http://www.ccr-refinishing.com/hg.htm (very attractive pricing)

http://www.trippresearch.com/osdoc/chrome.html (most recommended so far)

Also, according to the site it makes it sound like I can ship the firearm directly to them and then they will ship it directly back to me....is this really the case? No need for FFL?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
472 Posts
One other option...

All the ones you have listed are excellent, but the one missing is www.arizonaresponsesystems.com. This outfit is the company actually used by HK for refinishing work in the past.

Just another choice--good luck;

ARKAY

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All the ones you have listed are excellent, but the one missing is www.arizonaresponsesystems.com. This outfit is the company actually used by HK for refinishing work in the past.

Just another choice--good luck;

ARKAY

I don't see hard chrome look in any of the photos offered. Is this something that they do well? I kinda want the satin finish. Thank you for adding another choice.

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
I don't see hard chrome look in any of the photos offered. Is this something that they do well? I kinda want the satin finish. Thank you for adding another choice.
If you want hard chrome, look at fordsguns or Tripp research. If I ever have one redone, I'll go with Tripp.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone have anything on Melonite QPQ process?

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Tripps Hardchrome! I had debated the same thing recently but went with Tripps Hardchrome for my P7M8 and couldn't be happier. It looks so much better in person then in pics on the web. Excellent customer service and communication and it took exactly 12 days from the time I shipped it out to when it arrived back to me.

You are correct that no FFL is required to ship to them. As long as a person has a valid FFL then you can ship the gun directly to them yourself.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My VP70Z is being redone by Robar as we speak. So if you can wait a couple more weeks(it's been there for 4, and I think it takes a total of 6) I'll be posting lots of pictures.

·
Registered
221 Posts
this is how i plan to have my psp look.
http://www.fordsguns.com/index-gun19.htm

i'm still deliberating between all chrome or brushed flats and matte rounds. i really like the brushed/matte combo so it's not so bling, but the jury is still out.

trip is my second choice.robar guns np3 is a great finish but not as shiny as you probably want. trips is a brighter finish from what i've seen and heard.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My reason for not going with Fordsguns is because they only have 1 year warranty with the purchase. Only reason why I want to spend ~$250 for P7 is because I know this is one gun I would keep if I got rid of the rest and that lifetime warranty from Robar is very appealing.
I do like the fact that Fordsguns offer various finishes.

·
Registered
221 Posts
how bright of a chrome do you want? really shiny? or would you rather have a little duller finish but it does act as a lubricant?

btw, fords did bigbore's p7,IIRC. why don't ask him how it's holding up...

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am looking for dull finish at this time as I have had bright chrome finish guns before and they were not practical shooters.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Tripp Research Cobra Chrome, have it on 2 USP's and 1 Colt 1911. Polished steel produces a bright shiny finish - my USP's are all in matte, its very non-reflective with no oil on it - the Colt has all has brushed flats, matte on the rounds. Bead/media blasting will produce a nice looking dull matte finish.

I took the USP's into a dark room with the outside lights coming thru the window - they dont reflect any light at all off the flats, in the dark, the matte hard chrome is as good as any matte black finish...it disappears. My NP3 finishes are not holding up much better than blue

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Anyone know if a Robar treatment would void HK's lifetime warranty?
Not sure but of all the aftermarket finishers Robar is the only one recommended by HK USA.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have tried several refinishers over the years and Robar is the only one today I have full confidence in. That is not to say that there are others who also do fine work.

Robar's customer service is unmatched. They are a pleasure to deal with. And they will expedite for LE.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts