HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I was enjoying that other thread for the info about coats...please continue here please.

Alan

ORIGINALMESSAGE:
I have an old Benelli 121-M1 that was imported by HK back in the days,
Which professional refinisher do you recommend - Robar, Arzona Respose System, Lauer and etc.?

I personally used IGF. My MP5 is a beauty.

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
I have an HK Benelli M1 Super 90 that needs to be refinished due to it being mishandled by a local SWAT department. I also need advise on who wold do a good job refinishing it. I hope they do not close this thread also! It seems that when there is a little healthy drama the forum police brings the hammer down. Maybee that is their job. This is a great site after all!

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
11,656 Posts
Folks,
This was not about squashing a good topic. If that was the case, the thread would have been deleted. There was obviously a lot of off-topic stuff at play and it needed to be stopped. As long as the thread stays HK focused, which this really isn't right now, it stays.

People can view this as heavy-handed forum police action. This forum stays on topic and professional. That's the way it is. Now, I shall go back to cleaning the MP5 and wondering about some refinishing, myself!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Do you want it refinished or painted? These three "Robar, Arzona Respose System, Lauer" pain on finishes, no matter how much you dress up the terminology, those are painted on finishes. If you want to refinish it, as in a newly applied finish like it originally had, you need to send the receiver to someone like US Anodizing to be stripped and anodized. Many people could strip and matte blue or parkerize the steel parts, I have seen both on Benelli parts.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
No need to apoligise SG, that topic was derailed to doom.

As for the refinishing, i'll still put up my idea for parking it and have an "applied" finish on top (i originally said powder coat, but was corrected).

I think ARS is still a good idea, they have the "HK black" type finish that they use on the MP5's and such. If you get it parkerized before, it should be a very durable, and good looking finish! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Most quality refinishers will park and coat the steel parts and then anodize the aluminum receiver (with the huge caveat) IF they can remove ALL of the steel parts from the aluminum receiver.

Steel does not do well in aluminum anodizing tanks and a steel roll pin will BURN A HOLE in an aluminum receiver when submerged in the acidic solution of the anodizing.

Friend of mine, with over a decade of refinishing experience, had to buy a customer a new sig once, when he forgot to remove the knurled roll pin that serves as the load leg for the sear spring...the frame got blasted and sent to anodizing, came back with a big hole. Customer ended up getting a brand new pistol. Friend ended up with a pile of parts and a frame with a big hole in the side. " 'Experience' is the name that people give to their mistakes..." he said.

There's also the issue with hardness. Aluminum receivers on shotguns and rifles don't need to be as hard as steel, but bare, or "Type 2" anodizing does not impart any hardness to the surface of the aluminum. Correct re-anodizing requires "Type 3" or "hardcoat" anodizing to preserve the integrity of the softer aluminum component. A simple spray/bake coating, while sufficient on steel parts is not sufficient, IMHO, for aluminum parts. Opinions differ.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts