HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious about what types of problems can refinishing cure. It is obvious that deep scratches and mars cannot be repaired by polishing and then refinishing. What else? What kind of results (good and bad) have you experienced? I am not only looking for who does the best job. What kind of finish problems are not good candidates for a refinish?

I recently purchased a P2000 with minor holster wear for $ 446.00 shipped. It came with night sights, Blackhawk holster and one magazine but no box or papers. It shoots great and was quite a bargain. I also see some P7's available which could benefit from refinishing. Also my Python which I carried for over 10 years. Is there one source for all or should the HK's go to one place and the Python back to Colt?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
The best pistols for refinishing IMO is the gun with a bunch of holster wear or finish scratches that you did not put there, ie used gun. However, some folks get worried about corrosion protection after they wear their finish down, and decide to refinish after that.

I don't think any guns once the metal is actually cut, dented, gouged, or pitted are good for refinishing unless the end user is simply looking for some cover up to the imperfection. These issues will still be present, but just have a layer over it. Little lipstick on a pig, if you will.

Refinishing only adds value if you have a severely corroded gun that you are trying to stop rusting/cover up, or you finish the gun in the exact manner that your buyer wanted (read as getting a common, popular finish applied). The guys that finish in urban camo with pink undertones are killing resale value, but in the end--resale only matters when you sell it.

·
Registered
818 Posts
The P2000 just needs a black oxide treatment. Since the slide has a nitrocarburized finish that is into the metal at least 0.100 + deep into the slide, the black is all that needs done.

The Colt? See if they can refinish it & send it to them no matter that cost. It will come back as NEW!! Will be worth every penny.

Unfortunately, any large imperfections into the metal will need polished out. No other way to prepare for the final finish. Can't fill it. There will ALWAYS be an imperfection. No spray on coating such as Duracote or Cerakote will hide it. You MAY try to spot finish the gun with either of those coatings & try to sand it smooth it but do not the final finish will hide it. When we coat a barrel in our shop, the only way to get a perfect finish is to polish it out.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your input. None of my guns are that bad. I generally only buy LNIB guns. My Python was carried in a Safariland elk lined holster. It is not that bad. I could not pass on the deal on the P 2000. I am planning to buy another P7 and see that they are in mediocre shape or astronomically high in price. I'd like to buy a nice used p7 and have it redone to like new shape.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts