HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at getting a sub 600 le trade in or used uspc and I want to have it refinished to look as close to the stainless models. Will all the factory markings still be intact after doing so? If so should I just bit the bullet and find a uspc ss?

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
If you really want something that looks like a stainless, then you better get a stainless. There are a lot of cool finishes and plates out there, but I haven't seen anything that replicates a stainless slide. And most finishes and plates will obscure most of the factory markings.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
From what I hear. And im not positive on this. NP3 is sorta like a charcoaled or almost carbon colored stainless. Looks pretty sweet IMO. I believe it is a Teflon-infused Nickel/Chrome type Finish??
Ive heard both good and bad about it. Some people say it is a pretty slick finish. Some have said they have seen wear within a few months. I definitely like the look of it and to me, judging by the composition, I would think it would last... But idk. Im kind of on the fence myself.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Im looking at getting a sub 600 le trade in or used uspc and I want to have it refinished to look as close to the stainless models. Will all the factory markings still be intact after doing so? If so should I just bit the bullet and find a uspc ss?
Do the math. All these numbers are approximate ad off the top of my head but pretty close. If you get a $500 USPc and send it (figure $75 roughly to ship) in to have a $300 dollar refinish where are you at? You'd be @ $875 for a used gun that's like the stainless one you want but not the stainless one you want. If you want a USP45c SS CDNN has them new for I believe $799 and the USP40c SS for $749. If you're looking for a 9mm then you'll have to do some looking. The last couple I found were south of $700.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Not all finishes are created equal. Some are harder/thicker than others. I think hard chrome is still King of so called 'white finishes'. I have some USP top ends in Cobra Chrome by Tripp, its pretty thin and ultra hard. All the factory marking show up against the hard chrome. Some finishes like any nickel based, may obscure them all together, like one Pinion327 showed me of one he had done thats nickel based. Mahovsky will hard chrome an auto pistol top end for $78, thats very reasonable, add shipping of top end only, its a great finish for a great price, and they do very high quality work. Cobra Chrome on a USP .40sw - all HK markings are visible

·
Registered
1,785 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Not all finishes are created equal. Some are harder/thicker than others. I think hard chrome is still King of so called 'white finishes'. I have some USP top ends in Cobra Chrome by Tripp, its pretty thin and ultra hard. All the factory marking show up against the hard chrome. Some finishes like any nickel based, may obscure them all together, like one Pinion327 showed me of one he had done thats nickel based. Mahovsky will hard chrome an auto pistol top end for $78, thats very reasonable, add shipping of top end only, its a great finish for a great price, and they do very high quality work. Cobra Chrome on a USP .40sw - all HK markings are visible
Nice looking USP but then again i like character marks.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When you ship out the slide, would you pull the firing pin and extractor and everything out so they dont have to mess with it?

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
When you ship out the slide, would you pull the firing pin and extractor and everything out so they dont have to mess with it?
No, but make sure if you want new sights to ship them with the slide, and also make sure in your Work Order, what you want plated/what you dont. I had Tripp hard chrome the slide/barrel/slide release

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, but make sure if you want new sights to ship them with the slide, and also make sure in your Work Order, what you want plated/what you dont. I had Tripp hard chrome the slide/barrel/slide release
who did the serrations?

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Virgil Tripp did the serrations before he applied the Cobra Chrome. He has just opened the door to some pistol smithing, never hurts to ask. But the only way to get his Cobra Chrome, is to have him work on your pistol. Tripp Research Inc. Pistolsmithing | Mahovsky's Metalife hard chrome Metalife | Metaloy hard chrome Metaloy, Industries - Professional Gun Finishing - hard chrome, blue and polymer finish | Do a search for others, Im using Metaloy now since Tripp stopped taking orders on Cobra Chrome

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Can also check out Robars NP3+

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
metaloy replied to my email within hours with a quote for hk slides of 155. that includes the fpb, firing pin, extractor. forgot to ask about slide levers (and safties for my p30s). i just saw the hc'd p30 and now im debating if i should send her in as well.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Very cool Vdub5818! Metaloy does top shelf work, you wont be disappointed. My smith, Steve Morrison has my $4000 custom Colt 1911 Govt Model at Metaloy for their Metaloy hard chrome finish as I write this ... the 4 yr wait is almost over! =)~

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Grats sir make sure you post some pics of it when you get it back,

1 - 16 of 16 Posts