HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just pickef up my AAC 762SDN-6 suppressor today, and being its rated for 7.62, I was considering trying it out on my v51.. Has anyone here done this yet? I plan on running a break, to act as an extra baffle, but I am curious to the stability of the .308 coming out of a 9" barrel.

Thanks,

R

·
Registered
754 Posts
Its not really recommended with bbl's that short. A lot of unburned powder in the can. Bullet stability is questionable because you dont even get a whole rotation before it leaves, which could lead to a baffle strike. There was a guy who had posted a few things on suppressing his 51 a few weeks ago, try a search on it.

·
Premium Member
1,724 Posts
not recommended. Most suppressor makers want at least 10" of barrel. Stability is marginal, you risk baffle strikes, and you're burning about 30-40% of the powder in the can. Its going to get REALLY hot in just a few mags.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'm willing to bet that AAC will not warranty your can for use on a 51 since a barrel that short will be very hard on the can. You would be much better off suppressing a G3K or a 91 style rifle, both from sound reduction and lifespan of your can.

·
Registered
229 Posts
For the record the 762SDN-6 was designed and manufactured specifically for the AAC 300BLK which is configured and available in both a Title I 16" barrel and a Title II SBR (or pistol length Title I) 9" barrel so that "'10' of barrel" isn't entirely accurate given the hardware being discussed. That being said the 300BLK is also designed for a 1:8 twist whereas the 51 is a 1:10 so I'd question the stability of the projectile inside the can as has been stated by tmbrwulf and jdonovan.

·
Registered
6,398 Posts
When you're going to start a thread like this, you might want to list the suppressor model number in the title. That will get the attention of more people who know something about the specific one you're wanting to know more about.

I have one of these on order. Should get to my dealer within the next month or so. So I'd be interested in what you think about yours.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Pretty sure AAC recommends 10.5" for 5.56 and 12.1" or 12.5" for 7.62x51. I contacted AAC a year ago about a can for G3k full auto. They recommended AAC 762SDN-6 but I think the 12.69" barrel was near the limit of shortness. If you screw up the can AAC will probably fix it if they can. But might take a while and if they can't, ATF wait time is around 5-6 months for another can.

·
Registered
344 Posts
don't no about your particular can but would not recommend it. i ran an rdts 308 can on my 51 built by ralph with an 8.5 in barrel on f/a. originally had a problem with a baffle letting go which caused about 5 rnds of f/a 308 to get stacked in the suppressor with no exit or eternal damage to the suppressor or gun ! ptl ! ralf then changed the thickness of his baffles , returned it and ran it without issues . however my gun was designed for this suppressor with a 2 pnt gernade type mount to keep it secure in f/a . if the suppressor is right for the gun and the gun is rt for the suppressor it won't be a problem but both had better be rt in this package. with subsonic 308 this thing was super quiet. ranit most of the time f/a with supersonic. did help alot with flash and noise .

·
Registered
269 Posts
For the record the 762SDN-6 was designed and manufactured specifically for the AAC 300BLK which is configured and available in both a Title I 16" barrel and a Title II SBR (or pistol length Title I) 9" barrel so that "'10' of barrel" isn't entirely accurate given the hardware being discussed. That being said the 300BLK is also designed for a 1:8 twist whereas the 51 is a 1:10 so I'd question the stability of the projectile inside the can as has been stated by tmbrwulf and jdonovan.
The 300 blackout does not have near the gas volume that 7.62X51mm ammo does. That's like saying a 22 rimfire pistol can should work just fine on a 22 hornet since the bore diameter is the same. The amount of gas a suppressor has to deal with is very important and that's why I can use subsonic 300 blackout in my Trident. I would never try supersonic loads through that can, let alone anything more powerful.

I could be wrong but I think AAC recommends 12" or longer barrels for 308 guns..

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Decided not to do it, not worth the risk of screwing up the can.:( besides whats the v51 without the shock and awe of the fireball...

Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
The 300 blackout does not have near the gas volume that 7.62X51mm ammo does. That's like saying a 22 rimfire pistol can should work just fine on a 22 hornet since the bore diameter is the same. The amount of gas a suppressor has to deal with is very important and that's why I can use subsonic 300 blackout in my Trident. I would never try supersonic loads through that can, let alone anything more powerful.

I could be wrong but I think AAC recommends 12" or longer barrels for 308 guns..
+1. Subsonic ammo in the 7.62 +/- caliber has so much less pressure and volume. As I recall in 7.62X39 subsonic 500 ft/lbs at the muzzle. Full power AK is around 1,700 ft/lbs. Step up to .308 you'd still be at 500 ft/lbs for subsonic. Full power would be 2,800 ft/lbs. What is the big difference? The amount of gas pushing the bullet. The can has to deal with all that volume and pressure. As stated above, 1/2 the powder will be burning in the can. That doesn't sound like a good combination. YMMV.

Scott

·
Registered
229 Posts

I think you misunderstood my post brother, I was trying to say specifically that the 762SDN-6 was designed for the 300BLK NOT the 7.62x51NATO and was pointing out that AAC makes a 9" upper for the 300BLK but that it was a 1:8 not 1:10 so no matter which way you slice it the OP was really talking about two totally different animals that just HAPPEN to be 30 caliber rounds. Guess I should have been a little more specific eh? :D

·
Registered
102 Posts
I think you misunderstood my post brother, I was trying to say specifically that the 762SDN-6 was designed for the 300BLK NOT the 7.62x51NATO and was pointing out that AAC makes a 9" upper for the 300BLK but that it was a 1:8 not 1:10 so no matter which way you slice it the OP was really talking about two totally different animals that just HAPPEN to be 30 caliber rounds. Guess I should have been a little more specific eh? :D
Brother, that is not true at all. The AAC 762SDN-6 was designed as a full auto rated 7.62x51 can. If I remember, AAC says it's good on barrels down to 10.5" FA. It just works really well with the 300BLK.

OP, if the bullets are not keyholing, and AAC says the barrel length is fine, I'd use the Brakeout as a sacrificial baffle and go for it.

If you decide to do it, it really tames that 8" barrel. I don't run my 53 without it now.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Brother, that is not true at all. The AAC 762SDN-6 was designed as a full auto rated 7.62x51 can. If I remember, AAC says it's good on barrels down to 10.5" FA. It just works really well with the 300BLK.

OP, if the bullets are not keyholing, and AAC says the barrel length is fine, I'd use the Brakeout as a sacrificial baffle and go for it.

If you decide to do it, it really tames that 8" barrel. I don't run my 53 without it now.
Really? go figure LOL....I thought the SD was an indicator of the fact that the 300BLK and 9" barrel plus 762SDN-6 combination was supposed to make the MP5SD obsolete (saying that's prolly going to get me crucified here isn't it) personally though I'm going with the 762 Cyclone for my 300BLK build because a thread on will be easier to take on/off of the 9" barrel under a full length hand guard since the SDN has a latching mech for the QD mounts that you otherwise wouldn't be able to manipulate. Either way I learned something new today.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts