HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an SP89 with an MP5K-N barrel and paddle mag release in pristine condition. Plan was to sell it (have it in the handgun WTS section now), but if it doesn't sell I might end up getting it registered as an SBR or get a registered sear. What are the costs involved in setting it up with a registered sear or lower receiver??

·
Registered
138 Posts
13-15k

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
You need to get or already have in addition to the registered sear in a SEF trigger pack (which costs north of $12K) the following:
- SEF Trigger Housing for a MP5K
- Full Auto Bolt Carrier
- K front grip (more or less optional but really needed for full auto)
- PDW Stock (again optional but a lot better with a stock)
- Lastly most of the guys go with the MP5 aperture sight once they add a stock

And once you go that far need to consider a suppressor of your N barrel.

·
Registered
10,274 Posts
I can set you up with a registered trigger box. The advantages are numerous. Reliability for one thing. The registered trigger box comes with all original German machine gun parts inside... no American made parts needed or required. Advantage two, cheap replacement parts, again... no American made parts like the sear or a retimed, modified hammer for more reliable shooting. There are no timing issues... everything is HK original, there's nothing to adjust, no modifications to the trigger box to set it up for full auto... it always WAS full auto.

If interested, gimme a PM. I do NOT own them. I'm helping out a bud who has them for sale. I've been helping guys get set up with these now for over a couple years. Nobody has complained yet.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Have to say that a registered trigger box would never be a bad option and they are getting low (Shattered I am guess Doug has will under a half dozen left by now, maybe only a couple?). This would be a near factory as one typically can get for a MP5K-PDW.

·
Registered
10,274 Posts
Doug is finally getting low. Yeah, I'd guess somewheres in the half dozen range, thereabouts. I'll have to hawk Browning 1919A4s after he runs out. Or Sten/Sterlings...

·
Registered
10,274 Posts
So far, Doug is holding the line on 15K. He mentioned raising the price at one point as they were running out, but so far, they are still 15K.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
is that barrel in it a factory mp5k navy barrel? If so that barrel is super rare and hard to come by. When you do find them they cost like $1400, I would take that into consideration if you decide to sell it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's an original one piece HK barrel, rifling goes all the way out to the muzzle as it should with no seams or interruptions. I'm open to offers but in no rush to get rid of it. If I don't sell it will eventually turn it into a SBR at least.

·
Registered
279 Posts
It's an original one piece HK barrel, rifling goes all the way out to the muzzle as it should with no seams or interruptions. I'm open to offers but in no rush to get rid of it. If I don't sell it will eventually turn it into a SBR at least.
Yours may be an original Navy barrel (I hope it is for you b/c as stated above, they are super rare and valuable). However, converted barrels also have rifling that goes all the way through them uninterrupted. Mine is a converted German 94/MP5 barrel I think and what they do is cut the barrel down and then thread about 1"+ of the end of the barrel. Then, a 3 lug adaptor is threaded and silver soldered on and the thread protector goes on the end. They look and work great when correctly done. I think Jayson at IGF has a good description on the process and the adaptor on his website. About the only way to tell it is a well done conversion is by the barrel markings I think.

Either way, good luck with whatever you decide to do with your gun. It looks nice and the MP5K-N is one of my favorites. Mine is my main sear host. Thus, I just left it as an SP-89 pistol pretty much just like yours. However, most of the time it wears the sear, buttstock, and K-grip.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So when putting a registered sear or sear pack into an SP89 you don't have to do any extra paperwork to add the stock and grip?

·
Registered
67 Posts
No, you don't, since as long as the pack is in it, it's a machine gun and MG's don't have any barrel or overall length restrictions, or restrictions on putting foregrips on them.

ETA: If you want to take the pack out of the gun, you must first remove any stock or VFG you have on the gun, so as not to have an unregistered SBR or AOW.

·
Vendor
2,037 Posts
Gray51...

When one has a registered sear installed... that trumps all SBR/AOW issues. This is particularly useful in the SP89 platform. Remove the foregrip and stock ( and "sell " it to a nearby friend for $1 for the day, etc) and you back to just a pistol when the sear isn't in it. A lot of SP89s have the sear "married " to the pistols. All this means as far as the SP89 is concerned is that the receiver itself wasnt also registered as an SBR....and when the sear is in there...you are good to go. Watch out for "constructive possession" issues...meaning you are at the range and that precious sear is in another gun...while your SP89 pistol is lying there with the stock and foregrip on/near it, etc. Could cause issues. Use common sense and you'll be fine.

Sears...I bought my last one (in an SEF pack) in Dec 2010 for $10,000 flat. They have crept up some since then...I've seen one here listed for $12,800 (raw sear I think). That seems to be about the going rate. The DLO boxs like shattered mentions apparently command $2k-$3k premium. Both will work fine for your SP89 and you shouldn't expect to have to replace any parts in either setup for a very , very long time.

If you can afford the sear/box and enjoy full auto fun...an SP89 + registered box/sear is very hard to beat dude....I'd personally keep the SP89 and try to work into a sear/box.

HH

1 - 15 of 15 Posts