HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says, I'm relatively new to HK. I have a passing familiarity with HK products (I can identify most of them on sight, but that's about the extent of my knowledge), but for the most part I'm a Mosin collector, and this is only my second major foray out of Russian weapons (first foray being a semi auto Mk.1 Bren gun which I'm still tinkering with).

Anyway, I'm kind of tossing around the idea of getting a Century C93 and having Ghilliebear work his magic on it to start me off (eventually I plan to land either a V51 SBR or some kind of proper HK21E clone if I can ever find one that doesn't cost a second mortgage to acquire...), but before I go doing that I'd like to get an expert opinion on that course of action.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Talk to Ghilliebear on what it costs to get a custom built rifle, will be surprised on the reasonable cost and and delivery time. If you are thinking SBRs can think of at least two other possible options of interest that combines the projects. I always found that one nicer rifle is better than the same money in two or three OK rifles.

Option 1: A drum cut 32 or 52 build by Ghilliebear, the 7.62x39 is splits the difference between the 223 and 308 and is probably a better choice than 308 in sub foot long barrel (unless you really are after the muzzle blast ;-) and one can end up with a SBR using low cost metal drums and reasonable cost ammo (at least now days compared to 308).

Option 2: Instead of low cost HK21e (which is going to be hard to find now days) go with with either a 11 or 13 clone and use beta mags or the 308 drum. If you got a K version then would fill in for the SBR. Change to the full length barrel and one has a rifle that for the first 50 to 100 rounds will keep up with the HK21e and mag changes will be faster than the belt change from most of us anyway, at least until you run out of loaded mags ;-).

Good Luck and looking forward to photos in the clone section when you get it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Welcome! A C93 isn't a bad spot to start. They're great if you plan to add optics, if you get one without firing issues. Watch for sight alignment issues.

The Mosin Nagant M91/30 was my first REAL (read: non-.22LR) rifle. Great rifle, especially for $100...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I always found that one nicer rifle is better than the same money in two or three OK rifles.
My thoughts exactly. There's no reason to buy 2-3 questionable rifles when you can get more enjoyment out of one single really nice one. I learned that from the Polish PPS43C... bought it because $350 seemed reasonable, hundreds of jams/slamfires/failures to feed/failures to eject later, I sold it for $100 and went and purchased the SMG Corp PPS43 SBR. Cost me $804.50 total (since I live right down the road from their shop it form 4d right to me) and after 4000 rounds I still haven't had a single failure that wasn't caused by my stupidity (touching the barrel after dumping 100 rounds through it comes to mind) or by bad ammo (milsurp is cheap, but there's often a reason for that)

Option 1: A drum cut 32 or 52 build by Ghilliebear, the 7.62x39 is splits the difference between the 223 and 308 and is probably a better choice than 308 in sub foot long barrel
The 39 really does sound like a good option, especially for the recoil and price factors (Tulammo for $5 a box of 20... can't beat it with a stick). Though it might actually be easier just to buy one of the demilled kits (eliminates any possibility of a major Century screw up... I still remember the Tantal incident... and the CETME... and of course the SG43... which was a HUGE disappointment when we got it out on the reenactment field and it just kept jamming) and have him build from that if I'm going that route.

(unless you really are after the muzzle blast ;-)
One of these days I'll try to get a good picture of the muzzle blast off of my Obrez (Mosin 91/30 with butt stock cut down into a pistol grip and a barrel that's cut down to ~7.5 inches). That will show y'all what real muzzle blast is :41:

Option 2: Instead of low cost HK21e (which is going to be hard to find now days) go with with either a 11 or 13 clone and use beta mags or the 308 drum. If you got a K version then would fill in for the SBR. Change to the full length barrel and one has a rifle that for the first 50 to 100 rounds will keep up with the HK21e and mag changes will be faster than the belt change from most of us anyway, at least until you run out of loaded mags ;-).
I'm liking that idea a lot... I always thought it would be neat to have the belt fed system, but looking at the prices and the amount of work involved to convert it over (and after making it 1/3 of the way through an MG34 build before throwing up the white flag and selling the whole kit at a loss), I think it would actually be a lot safer just to do the 11 or 13...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts