·
Premium Member
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received some 30 rnd straight mags marked:

SD
Mp5 HK
11/74

They are part of the package deal for my MP5K. Are there any known issues with these feeding properly compared to the "curved mags".

I thought I read so on another thread but can't seem to find it.

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

·
Registered
63 Posts
They should work fine with FMJ/ball ammo. HK developed the curved mags to help with feeding hollowpoints and other non-ball types of ammo.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
+1 for the money they make great shooters. Personally have never had a malfuction with any of my used straight magazines.

I have read that they don't reliably feed hollowpoints; I would not know as I have only used FMJ ammo.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Have found that some guns don't like straight mags even with FMJ, includes a couple stock HK hosts guns and one friends factory stock MP5 (i.e. dealer sample).

My SP89 (which I got NIB) would work 99+% with over half the straight mags but always appeared to like the curved mags a little better. Was using factory NATO spec ammo for the most part and 115 grain S&B for the rest. Ended up getting a several dozen German factory mags and selling off the straight mags to friends at cost with a trial period so they knew that the mags worked well enough for them in their guns (back in the dark days of the AW ban days).

The straight mags are a great deal if they work, but life's too short if they jam ;-)

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have been using 30 of those '70s vintage MP5 straight mags in my MP5 for about 5 years. I, too, use S&B 115g FMJ ammo (it is pretty "hot" for non +P)because every feed and function problem was traced to ammo. I let a lot of people shoot my MP5 and after tens of thousands of rounds, never had a failure to feed or a failure to fire with the S&B. In single, 3round, and, full mag dumps. In fairness to other brands, since I know this works and I can find it reasonably priced (under $160/1000) I quit trying other brands. My MP5 seems to like Remington 147g. subsonic when the can is on. Just my opinion, but I think the gun is far more ammunition sensitive than magazine sensitive. My HK53 is the same way it will shoot Federal XM193 out of anything. None of my other HKs care what ammo you put in them or how.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts