HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just did this. Under the spot weld there is a blind pin that holds it on. Grind down the spot weld, until you can see the top of the pin, but not far enough to hit the barrel. I was able to get the remaining pin piece out by tapping on the fake brake. At this point the fake brake should pull off, may have to tap or press it off. The will be a little hole in the barrel from the pin, about 1mm deep.
FYI, there are no threads under there. I got a US made HK style brake and in my case the barrel was just the right diameter that with a bit of smacking with a plastic mallet the new brake "pressed" on perfectly, very tight fit. The brake ain't coming off with out a press. I will redo the blind pin just in case though.

Here is a pic of the finished product. Original paint under there, so I did not need to refinish. I just put a dab of paint in the pin hole.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Well if you get lucky (or unlucky depending), just shoot the rifle enough, and the flash hider will eventually blow itself off.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Well if you get lucky (or unlucky depending), just shoot the rifle enough, and the flash hider will eventually blow itself off.

Holy crap!!!

·
Registered
346 Posts

That looks like someone messed with it. That's not a fake flash hider and it looks like someone tried to solder it on without the blind pin. I've never seen a factory SAR8 like that.

·
Registered
346 Posts
It comes off like FarmerTed said but once you get it off, there are no threads and you have that blind hole a couple inches back from the muzzle. The barrel isn't thick enough to thread 15x1 until the triple tree which makes it under 16". Some smiths will thread there and pin the flash suppressor on for legal 16" requirement. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
17 Posts
That looks like someone messed with it. That's not a fake flash hider and it looks like someone tried to solder it on without the blind pin. I've never seen a factory SAR8 like that.
Looks more like JB Weld.

Another option is the turned down barrel is the perfect diameter for a 14mm left hand thread like a AK47. There are tons of different brake/suppressors made for the 14mm AK thread. Some are pretty close to the HK suppressor. I was going to go this route until I found the 15mm HK brake would press on the SAR8 barrel.

·
Registered
139 Posts
yeah, the SAR8 flash hiders are solid:

I removed mine using the cut and twist method. Threads were screwed but I'm planning on using it for a G3K build anyway

·
Registered
370 Posts
Who says quality is dead in today's manufacturing world??
And we actually get on aircraft and FLY and drive cars and motorcycles capable OUT OF THE BOX/OFF THE LOT, good for 175-200 MPH!
Actually it serves as an effective means of helping thin out the GENE POOL without the Abortion issue ever being mentioned!
Civil War Re-Enactors are forbidden to use ramrods to load because so many were flying downrange!! (They are FAIRLY easy to dodge because they generally tend to fry end over end) You CAN SEE THEMif headed your way!

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Who says quality is dead in today's manufacturing world??
And we actually get on aircraft and FLY and drive cars and motorcycles capable OUT OF THE BOX/OFF THE LOT, good for 175-200 MPH!
Actually it serves as an effective means of helping thin out the GENE POOL without the Abortion issue ever being mentioned!
Civil War Re-Enactors are forbidden to use ramrods to load because so many were flying downrange!! (They are FAIRLY easy to dodge because they generally tend to fry end over end) You CAN SEE THEMif headed your way!
Huh???

1 - 13 of 13 Posts