HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,
I send off my form 1 for a MKE at-94k that I have been sitting on the past few weeks. While Im waiting for the tax stamp. I have done some research and decide to make it a reverse stretch K. my only issue is, is there a way to get the Reinforcement tabs off and refinishing it. I have search but cant find any way to do it?
any help is always appreciated.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Just removing the tabs is not enough to make a reverse stretch. You need to weld another receiver section about an inch long to the rear of the k.

·
Premium Member
1,156 Posts
I think most people think of "stretch" as a SP89 or MP5K with MP5 front end and "reverse stretch" as an MP5 with SP89 or MP5K front end. Either way there still kinda cool.

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
DO NOT remove the tabs. This has been cover more times than I can count.

The dimensions of a K-gun is different. The bottom push-pin hole is higher up than on a FS-gun not to mention a standard stock will not even fit because the rear sight base and upper push-pin bushings. Stocks fit the inside of a K-gun which is the primary reason for the tabs... Reinforcment. This was required for the shorter back-end of the receiver. Stocks fit the outside of a FS-gun which is why tabs are not there.

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts

·
Registered
10,256 Posts
Mr. Kid?

·
Grand Chazzar
3,353 Posts
I do know of at least one SW reciver built k without the "tabs"
Don't know who built it .
But it runs flawlessly with sear .

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
I do know of at least one SW reciver built k without the "tabs"
Don't know who built it .
But it runs flawlessly with sear .
Lack of tabs isn't going to make the firearm not function. Has to do with preventing the receiver from distorting ;)

·
Grand Chazzar
3,353 Posts
I understand what we *think* the tabs are for .

But honestly ,
Has anyone removed the tabs from a k gun to see just what distorting effects it does have on a reciever???
I remember the thread a long time ago , but didn't have a k at the time so I didn't pay much attention to it .
I could see if we were talking a 223 or 308 .......
But 9mm ???
I would think the reciever rails alone , were enuf for structural rigidity.
The k I posted a pic of doesn't have the tabs .....
It has been shot A LOT ......
I don't see any distortion of the reciever on that particular k gun .....

·
Registered
10,256 Posts
Has anyone removed the tabs from a k gun to see just what distorting effects it does have on a reciever???

Heh... no.

But I did consider chaining one to the bumper of my truck and letting it slide all the way back to my other home in CT as an art performance...

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
I understand what we *think* the tabs are for .

But honestly ,
I remember the thread a long time ago , but didn't have a k at the time so I didn't pay much attention to it .
I could see if we were talking a 223 or 308 .......
But 9mm ???
I would think the reciever rails alone , were enuf for structural rigidity.
The k I posted a pic of doesn't have the tabs .....
It has been shot A LOT ......
I don't see any distortion of the reciever on that particular k gun .....
I *know* what the tabs are for as I specifically asked and was specifically told. The fact that the harness utilizes the tabs is an after-benefit, not the primary design. You will probably never push (or abuse) that firearm to its limits so the importance of the tabs may not be apparent to you.

Anyhow, your gun (or whoevers) do as you please.

·
Grand Chazzar
3,353 Posts
Knowing to me would be a little more than
Someone telling me .
I know of 0 HK smiths that have built a k gun without the tabs, then tested it until the reciever distorted so bad the gun failed .
I'm not trying to prove anyone wrong .
But telling everyone , Omg , do not remove the tabs ......
When you have never built , much less, seen, a k gun without the tabs .....
Or seen one fail due to reciever distortion caused by lack of tabs .
I'm assuming, your knowledge of the tabs came from a design engineer from HK.
That's great .
I work with engineers all day everyday,
They do a lot on paper .
The point I'm trying to make is
I don't think anyone *knows*
The only k I've seen without the tabs , I posted a picture of .
Imo, if the tabs were that important to the structural aspects of the reciever, the gun I posted a picture of would show some signs of distortion.
Why don't you build us one in your free time so we can test it :)

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
If we go by your logic, there may be many things we do not *know* when it comes to HK's then. Such as the effectiveness of the reinforcing rails on a PSG1 or MSG90, whether or not the MSG90 barrel profile really does improve accuracy, the effectiveness of the extended trunion on the PSG1 and MSG90, and the list goes on.

Fact is, there is really no one left from the roller-lock era. So no, I did not speak to an engineer however I did speak with someone in repair whom I trust for the information to be correct. That said, you are 100% correct in that I have never built a K-gun without the rails. Fact is, I probably never will. Why? Because the gun needs them to add strength to the back of the receiver.

And as to criticize me with...

"But telling everyone , Omg , do not remove the tabs ......
Or seen one fail due to reciever distortion caused by lack of tabs"

I am shocked at you Samot! This is a firearm! What if the OP went ahead and removed the tabs and for whatever reason he/she was injured as a result. Would you still show your photo of that K-gun without tabs as say "look! this one doesnt have tabs and it has been shot a lot!".

The OP wanted to attach a full-sized stock. Tabs or not, a FS stock will not fit directly on the receiver simply do to differences in the firearm. I only mention the reinforcing fact as an additional cautionary measure so that someone else reading this thread doesn't choose to remove the tabs for other reasons.

But hey, what do I know? I'm just and IT guy pretending to be smart with guns ;)

·
Grand Chazzar
3,353 Posts
Don't take it too personal Mr. kid ........

I wasn't trying to criticize anyone.
Only discussing with like minded persons .

& yes I may have went off on a tangent about the dang tabs ....
But only because I have often wondered if they were completely necessary ........
Also
I didn't suggest anyone put a stock on anything ..........

& yes I would still show the picture of the k gun without the tabs if someone else removed thier tabs & "got injured"
Be shocked
That has nothing to do with gun I showed a picture of .
Sorry to the op for thread derailment

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
I didnt take anything personal. Your comments were indeed directed at me and you are entitled to your opinion, however it should have been left out this discussion as your opinion on this topic could result in someone making modifications to their firearm that could damage the firearm and/or cause injury. While you do not see my being "told" as proof enough for you, sharing what I was "told" does not create the potential for harm (to the firearm or the operator).

The comment about the stock was about the OP; he/she orginally asked about the tabs in hopes of putting on a stock. I was simply reminding you that this thread was NOT orginally about the reinforcing of the receiver.

My appologies as well to the OP and to the other readers. I am done here.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
If we go by your logic, there may be many things we do not *know* when it comes to HK's then. Such as the effectiveness of the reinforcing rails on a PSG1 or MSG90, whether or not the MSG90 barrel profile really does improve accuracy, the effectiveness of the extended trunion on the PSG1 and MSG90, and the list goes on.

Fact is, there is really no one left from the roller-lock era. So no, I did not speak to an engineer however I did speak with someone in repair whom I trust for the information to be correct. That said, you are 100% correct in that I have never built a K-gun without the rails. Fact is, I probably never will. Why? Because the gun needs them to add strength to the back of the receiver.

And as to criticize me with...

"But telling everyone , Omg , do not remove the tabs ......
Or seen one fail due to reciever distortion caused by lack of tabs"

I am shocked at you Samot! This is a firearm! What if the OP went ahead and removed the tabs and for whatever reason he/she was injured as a result. Would you still show your photo of that K-gun without tabs as say "look! this one doesnt have tabs and it has been shot a lot!".

The OP wanted to attach a full-sized stock. Tabs or not, a FS stock will not fit directly on the receiver simply do to differences in the firearm. I only mention the reinforcing fact as an additional cautionary measure so that someone else reading this thread doesn't choose to remove the tabs for other reasons.

But hey, what do I know? I'm just and IT guy pretending to be smart with guns ;)
+1. I wouldn't think to roll a flat and them not bother to put the reinforcement bushing in the stock pin location would not be a good idea. Again, HK put that reinforcement in there for a reason. I'd imagine a roller locked gun could be built without that reinforcement. Why would you? Even if used with a sear it might hold up to several thousand rounds of use. But if it did fail, at minimum the gun would be damaged. At worst someone would be killed. I'd imagine most every member here would be legally considered an adult. As such, you have the choice of what to do and responsible for the consequences of those decisions. YMMV. To OP, welcome to the forum. I'm sorry for my off topic comment, but I feel very strongly about this subject.

well that good to know i guess i'll just go with a folding stock. the bad part know is i want a reverse stretch k lol
To be clear a reverse stretch is a full size receiver with a K front end. So using the nomenclature a "reverse stretch k" to me would be a K receiver with an even shorter barrel that a K. I don't know how you'd build a cocking tube any shorter that a K without some serious custom work. Good luck with your MKE project.

Scott

1 - 20 of 30 Posts