HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm thinking of buying a V-93, being a California resident, as long as the gun has a flash hider on it, I will be limited to mags that only hold ten rounds. I need one with a fake flash hide or muzzle brake.

I want to go featureless (California term) so I can use standard capacity mags that I currently own, this means I need to swap out the FH for a muzzle brake, thinking of a IGF brake like I have on my SAR-8.

I read that they are pinned and or welded ? to meet minimum barrel length, has any one removed one? My SAR-8 had a small set screw/pin and it was welded or silver soldered over, after making that gun 922r compliant it was easily removed by just twisting it off with Vise Grips, the pin was so soft and shallow, the threads just basically cut it and it was
removed without damaging any threads. not sure hot o legally remove it anyways since once it's off, for the few minutes it would br off, the gun barrel would be too short?

Are the Vectors flash hiders installed the same as my SAR's was? Or are the FH actually welded to the barrel?

If I can be done, I plan on installing the brake with a set screw and spot weld or silver solder over the screw, just like my SAR-8 was,

·
Registered
66 Posts
If the V93 has the US barrel (16.1"), the flash hider will screw off. An IGF brake will then screw right on.

If it's pinned/welded on, the barrel is the shorter 33 version (15.35" ?) and you'll need to pin/weld your brake to get it back to the legal length.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the V93 has the US barrel (16.1"), the flash hider will screw off. An IGF brake will then screw right on.

If it's pinned/welded on, the barrel is the shorter 33 version (15.35" ?) and you'll need to pin/weld your brake to get it back to the legal length.
Yes it is shorter than 16" so I know it is permanently attached, and the brake will have to be when it goes on, my question is, has any one removed one? I don't know how far they go in welding them on.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
There are a couple ways its done. First is a blind pin. A small hole is drilled through the flash hider and slightly into the threading of the barrel and inserting a pin and welding over the hole. 2nd i've seen is tac welding the flashhider at the back of the barrel. 3rd is using silver solder on the threads

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are a couple ways its done. First is a blind pin. A small hole is drilled through the flash hider and slightly into the threading of the barrel and inserting a pin and welding over the hole. 2nd i've seen is tac welding the flashhider at the back of the barrel. 3rd is using silver solder on the threads
Yes my SAR-8 was done the first way, it was very easy to remove.

I talked to a Vector supplier today ( Kelly enterprises?) and he is going to talk to Vector and see if they will make me one with a fake FH or a brake, but it will be probably be $100 more than ordering from Atlantic Firearms. But they also have vented forward hand guards and they say they can do a finish on it to match my SAR-8.

I will also call Atlantic on Monday and see what they can do, money is tight, so I May just have to order from Atlantic and worry about I later.

Not familiar with Kelly Enterprises? I hear nothing but good things about Atlantic Firearms.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts