HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm updating my cast receiver SW5 to a HK34 configuration because the front sight is too close for my aging eyes to achieve good focus when I'm wearing glasses for nearsightedness, and I otherwise want a less cheesy cocking tube on it.

It came with the factory unthreaded barrel sans chamber flutes of unknown quality but low mileage. Bolt gap should increase from .15-.20mm to 35mm-.40mm when I move from the included -2 to +2 rollers.

There's no real muzzle flash or recoil to tame with a muzzle device although I wouldn't mind something there to protect the crown.

Is there a good reason to install a RCM HK 34 barrel instead of putting a bushing on my existing barrel at the appropriate front sight location?

·
Registered
6,409 Posts
Depends on what you want. Shattered has billions of rounds through his SW barrels. My SW5 SBR cast gun is mostly a safe queen. I don't think the Urbach barrels had flutes and they worked great. So it's mostly a personal preference. If you think someone will be picky about which barrel is in an SW5, you need to take up a new hobby like applying lipstick on pigs. :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Personally, if it is an "aging eyes" issue, I would install a rail or have a rail welded to the top of the receiver and use a red dot sight. Will making the sight radius longer help right now? I would think so, but what about three years, five years, or even ten years from now? I'd be willing to bet, this issue will get worse rather than better. With a red dot you focus on the target area. Put the dot on the target and pull the trigger. Rebuilding your rifle to a 34 configuration would require a fair amount of custom work. Which to me sounds like a lot of money. To me a 34 conversion for "aging eyes" is a "band-aid" for the issue you describe. I think the optic rail/red dot would be a longer term solution. YMMV.

Scott

1 - 3 of 3 Posts