HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Replacing straight cocking tube with HK ribbed tube on SW5?

I have an early SW5 (2000) that has the straight cocking tube. Can a gunsmith replace the straight tube with a HK ribbed tube such as the one in the picture that Adam Webber has for sale? Also, would I have to replace the cocking tube support? I haven't removed it so I'm not sure if it is a German or SW.

Approx. how much would a gunsmith (such as Jayson) charge to replace a cocking tube and barrel on a SW5?

I should of just bought a new Coharie clone to SBR but I already have paperwork submitted for my SW5.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am not sure how SW type receivers are built, but with HK receivers it can be done and it takes some skill to do it.

Removing the spot welds and being very careful with a dremel type tool to cut the weld without going through to the inners of the cocking tube is about all that has to be done, then weld the new one on while using a heat sink and fixutre to keep it aligned.

Not sure how much a smith or machine shop would charge though.

·
Registered
242 Posts
P.M. sent.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
P.M. sent.
Once again, THANK YOU!

My SW5 will just be a shooter so I doubt I will ever change the cocking tube as it is purely cosmetic. Now, I may have to replace the barrel one day if I mess up the lugs getting the fake suppressor off but I would probably just pick up one thru Rim Country.

Instead of spending more cash on the SW5 I would rather pick up the CA89K and SBR it into a MP5K-PDW clone as this is my dream gun after shooting someone's suppressed full auto. :)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Once again, THANK YOU!

Instead of spending more cash on the SW5 I would rather pick up the CA89K and SBR it into a MP5K-PDW clone as this is my dream gun after shooting someone's suppressed full auto. :)
You're welcome and +1 on the CA89K-I've got one of the CA89Ks on order right now, they called me a few days ago requesting a copy of my dealer's FFL. Should be getting it pretty soon!! Can't wait!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You're welcome and +1 on the CA89K-I've got one of the CA89Ks on order right now, they called me a few days ago requesting a copy of my dealer's FFL. Should be getting it pretty soon!! Can't wait!
Wish I could order one also. Two kids, house needs painting and the wife needs a new car first. Although, our 10th anniversary is coming up, maybe if I buy her some diamonds she might buy me a CA98K. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts