HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after shooting for over five years now including one in IDPA, I am now at the point where my fundamentals are strong enough to realize that my equipment is not ideally matched to my shooting style or physicality. Put another way, I think my guns may be holding me back.

I have an M&P9 and a CZ SP-01, both of which fit my little hands much better than the blocky grip of my USP Expert. The Expert is a stunning shooter, it was just not designed for my little mits. I find myself grabbing the other guns more often, which has demoted the Expert to safe queen status. Rather than try to adapt to it, I have decided that my efforts are better spent focusing on one manual of arms (SA only - consistent pull) and possibly one type of gun (polymer, steel, striker, 1911), still working on that.

I have also come to realize the efficiency of learning and attempting to master one pistol, much like a golf pro has one set of clubs best suited to him/her. I am thinking I should own one competition gun and one carry gun and take the money saved and spend it on instruction.

So I am selling my Expert (see post in for sale section) and possibly moving beyond H&K unless a new model with a more ergonomic (for me) design comes along with a better out of the box trigger. I have not handled a P30 yet, but I suspect it will still have the long trigger pull of all H&K's. They may be fantastic military side arms, but the current design is not for me.

Has anyone else thought about consolidating down to just one or two guns around the same manufacturer/model?

·
Registered
3 Posts
moshooter,

I had a couple SP-01's before moving to the 45 paltform. Fit like a glove, almost no recoil, 19rds, reliable. Really miss them. How does the M&P9 compare?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My SP-01 has been fully customized by Matt Mink, a shooter for CZ. Its trigger is down to 4 lbs double action and about 1.8 lbs single action. Its almost scary to shoot, but as you said, recoil is minimal and it fits great. Unfortunately, it need to go on a diet to meet match weight. My local non-sanctioned matches don't care, but it will require some surgery before I go to a state or national match.

Now to your question. My M&P is great. I also had a trigger job done that smoothed out and decreased the trigger pull. It is still about 4lbs, but does not have the notchiness of a stock trigger. These are very cheap to work on by the way. The trigger job cost $50 and only required buffing and shaping of parts, no springs need replacing. The pistol feels great in the hand, and carries more rounds than its perceived width would suggest. For instance my old USP Compact held less rounds and has a wider grip than the M&P. I have had a broken ejector, but Smith paid for shipping and performed the repair under warranty within five days. Recoil is minimal, but felt considering the light weight of the polymer frame. Take down is as easy as a Sig, as it uses the same basic design. Parts are now in ready supply and accessories are easily found as well. I cannot think of a better pistol for the price (as low as $439 from buds gun shop) and a current offer from S&W gets you two additional mags for free if you buy before 12/31/07.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've moved away from 1911s for carry and defense, still have them and love them but am mostly going on a strict HK diet.

My carry is a P7M8 and around the house I have a USP9 if I can't reach my Benelli.

I am paying for a USPc in .40 that I have high hopes for as it fits my hand perfectly.

Each to his own!

·
Registered
802 Posts
Part of being a good shooter is to be able to shoot a variety of different guns. I've been competing with a M&P9 for IDPA and USPSA Prod. But I still shoot my Para P16 in Limited. Shooting the M&P has made me faster with my P16. It's easy for me to go from shooting the M&P to the P16, but if I shoot the P16 a lot, I have a hard time going back to the M&P mainly due to the trigger difference. For the price of the M&P, it's really hard to find a better gun, especially if you can't deal with Glock's grip angle.

From a pure speed/competition stand point, I would go to a hi-cap 1911. Sure they cost quite a bit and might take a bit of money to get running right, but it's like a F1 car. If you don't get someone who knows how to build it right, you might have all sorts of problems. But once it is dialed in, the gun does all the work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To your point, I was thinking of an STI pistol. Ideally, it would be both IDPA and USPSA legal, which I think means an Eagle 5.0 with a bushing barrel, although a bull barrel would be preferred.

I like the USPSA series (single and double stack), but neither are IDPA legal. Both of which have a magwell, which I think disqualifies it from IDPA.

·
Registered
802 Posts
My Para is set up to be both USPSA Limited legal and IDPA ESP legal. You can get magwells that are IDPA compliant for the STI, even without a magwell, the standard grip magwell is quite sufficient. In 40 cal, minor load for ESP will shoot like a 22. You will need to have some 126mm mags for IDPA.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Welcome to the club. I made this move may moons ago and only held onto an M8 and an imported Expert 9.

Have since jumped on the 9x23 via 1911 bandwagon and never looked back.

·
Registered
616 Posts
HK isnt made for everyone, it really depends on what you are looking for in a weapon. HK's were meant to perform in a combat situation, they were not meant for competition shooting as has been mentioned many times before. I know Scooter manages to shoot HK in competition, but most people favor HK's because they are very reliable and over engineered for durability, not because they are great competition guns. However, I think they are well suited to IDPA, but that is pure opinion, and everyone's will differ.

Doesnt sound like you have out grown HK, sounds like you decided you were tired of trying to make a combat gun into a competition gun...nothing wrong with that.

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
No use to retire my H&K's, I dont shoot competition. I shoot different brands like Colt, STI, FN, and CZ. Im a big fan of the 9x23 in my Colt 1911 too. A 125gr at 1450 fps is amazing, the +P at 1600-1650 fps is great fun once in a while too! ;)

·
Registered
288 Posts
I think the thing holding H&K's back from competition is the triggers are terrible. GLOCk's, Sigs, 1911's, CZ's, etc that are used more in competition can all have superior triggers to H&K's with just a little work. The only other thing that could be holding H&K's back is perceived recoil being higher but I haven't really noticed that compared to these other platforms.

I keep seeing comments suggesting H&K's are made for combat and that is why they aren't good for competition but how are they made for combat any more than a GLOCK or Sig?

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
How do you like your CZ SP-01? I read about it in G&A and it seems a little to big for practical carry, but it must make a great match pistol. You can't argue with almost 20 rounds of 9mm.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I like the match trigger and the LEM.

What about the USP custom combat?

I would also like to offer my services as a charitable institution to recieve unwanted HKs free of charge.

Rest assured, whatever you gents don't want I'll take!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How do you like your CZ SP-01? I read about it in G&A and it seems a little to big for practical carry, but it must make a great match pistol. You can't argue with almost 20 rounds of 9mm.
I would argue that there is not a better pistol for the money than a CZ SP-01 with two conditions. You buy a custom shop version, which has a far superior trigger and nice thin wood grips, and you can live with the fact that CZs are not known for their superior finish.

For instance, my SP-01 has a fair amount of tool marks on the inside of the slide and rails. They do not inhibit function whatsoever, and are to be expected for a $500 all steel mass produced gun. Think of it as a pickup truck and not a Honda, and get you will get my point. Had I seen it before I bought it I would have asked for a cleaner one out back. That said. its a great shooter with far better balance than any polymer gun I have shot. Plus you can carry it in condition one or two, depending upon your preference or need. This allows me to shoot SSP or ESP in IDPA depending upon my mood or the looks of the competition.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree with most of what moshooter has to say about the SP-01. Get the trigger done by Matt or Angus. It's worth every penny. Tooling marks on the inside are there, but cause no issue. I would replace the extractor spring with a Wolf. I'd also replace the recoil spring as the SP-01 flat spring is way heavy. I like the factory rubber grips. Very soft and grippy. I did have a tough time working the safety with my thumb as it didn't quite reach and was a bit stiff and doesn't have much horizontal surface area. Balance is not good since it's very nose heavy, but that helps reduce muzzle flip. Over all great gun with a few short coming at least for me anyway. Great for competition, home defence or range, but way to heavy to carry.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,921 Posts
I sort of did what you are talking about except I went to two calibers 9mm, and 45acp. That has to count for something don't it.:43:

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
I would argue that there is not a better pistol for the money than a CZ SP-01 with two conditions. You buy a custom shop version, which has a far superior trigger and nice thin wood grips, and you can live with the fact that CZs are not known for their superior finish.

For instance, my SP-01 has a fair amount of tool marks on the inside of the slide and rails. They do not inhibit function whatsoever, and are to be expected for a $500 all steel mass produced gun. Think of it as a pickup truck and not a Honda, and get you will get my point. Had I seen it before I bought it I would have asked for a cleaner one out back. That said. its a great shooter with far better balance than any polymer gun I have shot. Plus you can carry it in condition one or two, depending upon your preference or need. This allows me to shoot SSP or ESP in IDPA depending upon my mood or the looks of the competition.
That makes alot of sense. The author of the G&A article on the CZ SP-01 said he didn't like the trigger much, so I'm sure a custom shop one is alot better. Also, he did say the balance was great just like you have stated.

I agree with you guys though, too heavy to carry. And personally if I don't carry it I don't buy it. Still seems like a great gun and it seems like it would make a really great competition handgun if thats what you are into.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Good Call

Has anyone else thought about consolidating down to just one or two guns around the same manufacturer/model?
Yep. M&P9s and Springfield Armory TRPs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts