HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 1982 I purchased a new in-the-box HK91(apparently an A2) from a private seller in Denver. I then bought a see through scope mount and mounted a scope. After firing not very many rounds it then joined other gear I keep for special occasions. It has been fired occasionally since the scope was dismounted several times for moving and I wanted it zeroed. This was long before the days of the internet where historical and practical information was available. Given current events and trends, I decided to completely disassemble and clean and looked for sites with helpful videos. During this internet search I discovered, to my surprise, the many sites devoted to particular firearms, including this one.

I seriously doubt my HK is anything unique or unusual, but am interested in any information I might not have found on it's particular history. I have not been able to located a date code anywhere on the metal. It was shipped from HK in VA to a gun store in Ft Morgan, CO on 6/22/79 with a COD sticker of $676.94 on the box. There is a date moulded on the inside of the pistol grip plastic of 8/4/78 but it is probably from a contract supplier. It has the type HK markings on the mag housing left side. On the right side it is marked excl for SACO, Arl Va 22 201, Kal. .308. SN is A017224. The box is stamped " the Accessories you ordered are in the box." These seemed to include a carrying handle, port buffer, and two extra mags. Currently I am upgrading the scope to a 3X9 illuminated reticle. The gun is not being offerred for sale.

Any additional information would be appreciated but I am not able to add pictures.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
On the left side of the magwell there should be two letters. The letters are the date code for the rifle's manufacture. I have one marked "IB" which corresponds to "81" (1981). As it is marked SACO and is (probably manufactured in the '70's, there should be a numeric code starting with "H." The second letter will indicate when in the '70's it was produced.

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
gfcrane

Just a thought, is the barrel rifling lands and grooves or swirled (polygonal)? If polygonal, they are somewhat rare as only a couple hundred Hk 91's were imported with such barrels.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts