HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my first Rheinmetall carrier on GB recently, and was very surprised when I got it. It is a cut above in terms of quality of machining, etc, I can confirm that. The issue is I have heard for years that it's main claim to superiority is that it's a solid billet piece, no welds.

It's not! The carrier is in fact two parts, just split in a different way. For all the other carriers I have (Oberndorf, FMP, RCM, PTR, etc.) the top tube is welded to the bottom part of the carrier across the top. The Rheinmetall carrier is a billet piece in the sense that the top top is attached to the bottom billet carrier, and it's a solid piece. But the rest of the length of the tube on the top is essentially a very thin sleeve that is pressed in from the front, then spot welded (three spot welds at the rear). So two pieces, also welded together. Also, the thin pressed in sleeve portion of the tube slightly obstructs the pin hole for the bolt head locking pin. Enough to get a punch in there but not enough to push the pin through it.

I wonder if they are all like this? I have some pictures of others and it looks the same, two pieces. Mine is dated 07/63.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
You are 1000% correct. I have one, & yes, it IS 2 pieces. Just attached differently. Every time someone calls it a 1 piece carrier, I always have a good laugh. They need reading glasses to see where the tube is spot welded to the cover. GARY

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Ok, after reading this thread ya'll made me remove one my Rheinemetall carriers and you are right, and didn't need glasses,though i usually do. The spot welds are @ 9 oclock 12 and 6. also looks like a roll pin type sleeve about 2/3rds down the tube from the front. Mine is also dated 07/63. always something new to learn. with that being said Mine has performed flawlessly. Maybe the one piece refers to the top tube and bottom being machined as one piece with the tube extension being pressed in and spot welded, I could understand this resulting in still being more to spec. I also have Hk with welded tube carriers that perform flawlessly also. Travis

1 - 3 of 3 Posts