HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Picked up a complete G3 complete carrier group. My carrier is rhinemetal marked ( 01/66) but unsure about the bolt head.
Did rhinemetal produce G3 bolt heads?

Any good links for G3 bolt head ID ?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I had no idea that Rheinmetall was still making G3 carriers into the late 90's...it's marked with their stamp, a diamond with a circle around it?
Any of the Rheinmetall carriers I've ever seen have been dated in the early 60's. I don't ever recall seeing a bolt head stamped with their logo.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Yes I agree. I thought they only made them in the 60s as well. Do you have photos of this? Not doubting your word or anything but I am always open to new HK eccentricities..

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I fat fingered the date above (fixed).

The bolt head markings are the date 6/69 and the letters "BE" on the rear flange

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
That makes more sense

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
The bolt head appears to be HK. The milled area in front of the date is what is referred to as "scrubbed".
Unfortunately this is common practice with military surplus.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Damn those bolt scrubbers!

On a side note it seems G3 bolt heads like to rust or pit more often than other surplus bolts I see.
Is it because of white metal / lack of a rust delaying surface finish or just poor maintenance on the users part?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Damn those bolt scrubbers!

On a side note it seems G3 bolt heads like to rust or pit more often than other surplus bolts I see.
Is it because of white metal / lack of a rust delaying surface finish or just poor maintenance on the users part?
All of the above. Poor maintenance is probably the biggest reason but you have to remember who the user was and factor in the region and climate it was used in. They were soldiers using a tool. The rust pitted bolt or carrier that didn't quite survive to end up in a show case more than likely saw use in the worst conditions or was used in training.
That's what I'd like to think happened to my '63 bolt head, but who knows, it may have been in pristine condition 10 years ago and someone forgot to clean their gun after shooting corrosive ammo and I ended up with it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts