HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do you all shoot? I've been trying to find a descent range where you can use your own ammo. All I've found close by are ranges that charge you range fees, plus you have to shoot their ammo. Which is a little more than twice what you can buy range ammo at the local Wally World.

Thanks for any tips.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i usually end up at my friends house in haydensville up 64.

we go all out up there! we usually end up shooting our garands alot up there

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I've been here for three years and have not found a decent range that did not have a year plus wait to join. Dominion is OK but there are quite a few unsavory types there sometimes so look around a bit and see if you want to stay before paying your money. That range is too damned close to the city and you get some pretty weird types in there sometimes. They use to come into the gun store where I use to work next door to Dominion and it scared the crap out of me to think these POS had guns; thank God for the state police, Department of Homeland Defense, and ATFE being right across the street!
I've given up looking for a half-way local decent range that is longer than 100 yards because in 427 days I am outta here and headed back to where I belong.
You know the difference between a yankee and a damned yankee? The yankee comes to the south but the damned yankee comes to the south and stays. I have no intention of being a damned yankee!

·
Registered
5 Posts
big bore I know what you mean. the only saving grace is that all the guys working carry....and who would be dumb enough to try anything there anyway.....although criminals are dumb.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Cavalier in western Hanover has been accepting new members with no wait for the past two years. We are almost at our membership cap though and the wait will likely be a year or more again. The five hundred yard range reconfiguration will be complete this Fall. Full auto is allowed on this range at a distance of up to 200 yards. Cavalier also has action pistol bays to practice drawing from a holster, shooting on the move and other things a conventional range does not allow.

Only snag is a current member is needed to sponsor you. Best way to meet people is at the matches. IDPA is on the fourth Sunday. High Power Rifle is on the fourth Saturday. Bullseye is on the first Saturday. Cowboy Action is on the first Sunday. Matches typically begin at 9 AM.

Membership is $200 / year (prorated) plus a $75.00 assesment for recently purchased land. Initiation is $500, which can be split in to $250 when joining and $250 at renewal.

Conservation Park, East of Richmond, is another nice choice. Annual dues are $200 with a maximum rifle distance of 100 yards. A sponsor is required.

Black Creek Shooters Association, near the airport, is still less than $100 / year, I believe. Maximum distance is also 100 yards. No sponsor required, but must be NRA member.

All of these ranges allow your own ammo.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Where to shoot.

You might try Black Creek Shooter's Assocation. There is a yearly membership fee, but they do have different levels of membership. You may also shoot there as a guest of a member for a small fee. You must sign a liability waver. There is a 7-15 yard range for handguns only. There are 50 and 100 yard rifle ranges, where you may also shoot shot guns. (Special range rules apply for shooting shotguns the ranges. There is a trap field where you may also shoot 50 yard bench rest .22 rimfire. and 100 yard center fire at regularly scheduled matches.

We also have Three Gun Matches, IDPA matches, Cowboy Action matches and there used to be a .22 rimfire silhouette rifle match and a Black Powder Offhand match ( I don't know if those are still going!)

Safety is a VERY BIG DEAL at Black Creek. All shots must impact in the safety berm. Eye and ear protection is Manditory (I think!). Guests must be accompanyed by the member as long as they are on the ranges. No 50 BMG, (our berms are not constructed to handle these.) You must notifiy Mr. Young, (the land owner) before you fire any full auto firearm. Full disclosure and documentation on all Full Auto firearms are required.

I hope that this helps!

Yours,
HK Affection.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I joined a private range called Black Creek Shooters Association. There's contact info here. The range is $100/year, and you have to be an NRA member.

It's located near Cold Harbor battlefield ... you take the exit off 64 for the Richmond airport only headed in the opposite direction, and it's probably another 20 minutes from there. They have 10-, 25-, 50-, and 100-yard ranges, allow you to shoot pistol, rifle, and shotgun, can bring your own ammo, etc., basically everything you expect. Some people offer shooting classes and what-not there. They also have a set-up to do trap shooting (I don't remember how much it cost, but it's not a lot).

·
Registered
1 Posts
criminals go to the gun range? can you further describe these unsavory types? i don't want to take my family there if i think you're saying what you're trying to say

·
Registered
101 Posts
I am a member at Colonial in Richmond. It's $34.95/month but indoors and they have lots of ranges and decently priced ammo. I have picked up more than a handful of H&K pistols there as well. If you are a member you can shoot your own ammo.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts