HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(Wasn't sure if this would be better in the NFA forum or Rookie)
I’m looking at purchasing a HK94 clone. A friend has one that is in rifle configuration (BW5) with the fake suppressor that he is trying to sell. My questions to you guys are; what steps do I need to take convert it to an SBR? I understand the NFA Form 1 process, but will I have to have intensive gunsmith work like replacing the barrel? If so roughly how much should I expect to pay to have it converted. Or would I probably be better off buying one in pistol configuration and once the Form 1 is approved, slap a stock in it? What would you guys recommend?

Bare with me guys, this will be my first HK clone purchase. I would rather learn the basics on a cheap version of an HK94, that way if and when I get a real HK I don’t FUBAR it. I have inspected the rifle and did not notice any crazy grinding, misfit with the mags, or any other oddities.

Thanks for your time guys, and if I did post in the wrong forum; please feel free to move it to the correct one.

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
(Wasn't sure if this would be better in the NFA forum or Rookie)
I’m looking at purchasing a HK94 clone. A friend has one that is in rifle configuration (BW5) with the fake suppressor that he is trying to sell. My questions to you guys are; what steps do I need to take convert it to an SBR? I understand the NFA Form 1 process, but will I have to have intensive gunsmith work like replacing the barrel? If so roughly how much should I expect to pay to have it converted. Or would I probably be better off buying one in pistol configuration and once the Form 1 is approved, slap a stock in it? What would you guys recommend?
It all depends on how far you want to go with the conversion. If you just want to remove the fake can, you could do that with a grinder or even a dremel. The can is pinned to the barrel, then the pin hole is welded shut. You have to cut away the weld, then remove the pin. I'm not sure how much someone would charge you to do that, but it shouldn't be too much.

But you can also give it the full MP5 conversion treatment by remarking it MP5 and installing the paddle mag release. Since the paddle mag release requires some welding as well, you'll need to either get the whole thing refinished, or might be able to spot-refinish just the heat affected zone.

You'd be looking somewhere around $400 or so for the paddle mag release, remark, and refinish I'd guess. If you didn't get it remarked, it would likely cut it almost in half as you could probably get away without repainting the entire thing as well.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do not plan a full conversion. The rifle my friend is selling already has the paddle mag release. I guess I am more interested in the SBR part.
I have been trying to do as much research as possible. I noticed that the clones that are already in SBR config. are usually a few hundred dollars more than those with fake cans. On top of that, the class 3 FFL in my area charges $200 for any NFA transfer, on top of the $200 tax. I guess what I am trying to do is find the most cost effective way of obtaining a clone in SBR config.
If I could buy one with a fake can, and have a gunsmith remove it after I get the form 1 back; it seems it would be a little cheaper. Because I am new to HK94 clones I am not sure if you can just simply have the can removed or if it would require more work. From what I have been told, the BW5's have the three lug barrel under the fake can.

·
Registered
558 Posts
You won't have to do an NFA transfer if you are the one making it into a C3. All you need is the Form 1 and $200 tax. If you don't want to replace the barrel with an MP5 barrel, you can have the stock barrel cut down. You'll need a gunsmith to do either unless you want to take a hacksaw to it (not recommended). Don't forget having it stamped with your name, city and state since you will be considered the manufacturer.

The above is being recalled from a slowly going memory. It's been a few years since I did mine. I'm sure someone will correct me if I left anything out or am wrong on a point or two.

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
I do not plan a full conversion. The rifle my friend is selling already has the paddle mag release. I guess I am more interested in the SBR part.
I have been trying to do as much research as possible. I noticed that the clones that are already in SBR config. are usually a few hundred dollars more than those with fake cans. On top of that, the class 3 FFL in my area charges $200 for any NFA transfer, on top of the $200 tax. I guess what I am trying to do is find the most cost effective way of obtaining a clone in SBR config.
If I could buy one with a fake can, and have a gunsmith remove it after I get the form 1 back; it seems it would be a little cheaper. Because I am new to HK94 clones I am not sure if you can just simply have the can removed or if it would require more work. From what I have been told, the BW5's have the three lug barrel under the fake can.
$200 for a transfer is a rip-off. It may just be your market, but I'd look for another FFL, gunbroker has a listing done by I think zip code. Mine charges $20 for NFA transfers.

Just form 1 it, and the remove the can. It most likely already has a 3 lug under the fake can.

There are several other lengthy threads concerning requirements for marking an SBR if you are not an FFL or selling the SBR. Search for them and make up your own mind.

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
Thanks for asking this question. I have a HK94 clone (SW5) with fake suppressor that has been sitting in the closet since 2000. I want to SBR it but I too had some questions.

1. Once I grind off the weld and remove the pin is there a hole in the lugs or barrel that will need fixing or cosmetic changes.

I've only seen 2 that were done, and they were both Coharie Arms, but they did both have pin holes.

2. How do I stamp it with my personal information? Will or can a gunsmith do this since I would be the manufacturer?

If you decide you want to engrave it, it must be with min. 1/16" high by .003 deep letters. Urbach Precision engraves them on the flat part of the receiver at the rear, so it is covered up when the stock is put on. He tells me it is acceptable as long as it can be made visible without the use of any tools. But if you do the work, my belief is that you don't need to engrave it at all. (Mine are not engraved. I got checked just one time, he only wanted to verify that the original serial number matched that on the Form 1.) But any of the HK gunsmiths (RDTS, InvestmentGradeFirearms, Urbach, TSC Machine) can all do it for you. There are others as well, just find someone that does firearm engraving.

3. Once a SBR will I be able to put a collapsable or folding stock on it? Sorry for this question but I haven't kept up with the NFA rules after the ban was lifted.

Absolutely. Once it is registered as an SBR, nothing from the ban applies. You can do anything you want with it, including replacing all the US made parts with imported German parts if you so desire.

Thank again tcoble for starting this post.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
1. Once I grind off the weld and remove the pin is there a hole in the lugs or barrel that will need fixing or cosmetic changes.

I've only seen 2 that were done, and they were both Coharie Arms, but they did both have pin holes.
When the can is removed, other than aesthetics, I assume the holes would not hinder the function of the barrel? I’m not sure what would be cheaper, having a new barrel installed or having it fixed (probably having it fixed).

Oh boy, that brings up another question. I am not aware of any HK gunsmiths in Alaska. What are the laws regarding shipping to a licensed manufacture for repair or customization? Does it have to go through an FFL on my end? Or can I just mail it to the manufacture, and he mail it directly back to me?

The class3 FFL I spoke with (the one that wants $200 for a NFA transfer) is one of two in the Anchorage area; that is why his fee is so high. The ATF came through and revoked the other dealer(s), something to do with the purchase of a Russian MiG from what I was told (who knows the real story).

·
Registered
209 Posts
Thanks for the answers. I deleted my original post because I found the answers searching through old post.

There is a lot of SBR info available here. One long post on where to locate the name and address stamp.

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
When the can is removed, other than aesthetics, I assume the holes would not hinder the function of the barrel? I’m not sure what would be cheaper, having a new barrel installed or having it fixed (probably having it fixed).

Wouldn't hurt it at all. And having it filled would be a lot easier and cheaper than replacing the barrel.

Oh boy, that brings up another question. I am not aware of any HK gunsmiths in Alaska. What are the laws regarding shipping to a licensed manufacture for repair or customization? Does it have to go through an FFL on my end? Or can I just mail it to the manufacture, and he mail it directly back to me?

You don't have to ship through an FFL. You ship it straight to the HK gunsmith with a copy of your Form1, they ship is straight back. There used to be some paperwork that had to be filed, but they changed the requirements a few years back. Whichever gunsmith you decide to use can give you all the nitty-gritty.

The class3 FFL I spoke with (the one that wants $200 for a NFA transfer) is one of two in the Anchorage area; that is why his fee is so high. The ATF came through and revoked the other dealer(s), something to do with the purchase of a Russian MiG from what I was told (who knows the real story).

Right, that's what I meant about your market being special. That's too bad that it costs so much. The MiG story sounds like just a rumor. There are no issues with importing Russian MiGs. They are for sale all the time, and I have flown with someone that bought several of them from Bulgaria (mostly L29s, L39s, but a few MiG 17s). More than likely, the story has more to do with illegal firearm conversions or something even more mundane, like paperwork violations, but the MiG story just sounded a lot cooler.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts