HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have a ring in their USPc 9mm chamber? It looks like it has a smaller ID at the front of the chamber.

·
Registered
818 Posts
The ring is there for a reason. Way back when when George Luger invented the 9X19 round, he found the older brass cases didn't seal the case mouth so well. They used to get carbon streaks inside the chamber when rounds were fired. So, I think it was in 1910 or 1913, can't remember, he developed this "Stepped Chamber" design. It seals the case mouth much better, giving higher velocities. Some will argue that it also aids in allowing extraction. Don't know about that one. But HK, Walther and others have chosen to use this "improved chamber" over the traditional tapered chamber. I myself prefer it and does NOT hurt anything if you do reload. Perhaps the case mouths will be worked a little more but I have never had an issue with it.

I believe the stepped chamber is an improvement over the standard tapered chamber.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
The ring is there for a reason. Way back when when George Luger invented the 9X19 round, he found the older brass cases didn't seal the case mouth so well. They used to get carbon streaks inside the chamber when rounds were fired. So, I think it was in 1910 or 1913, can't remember, he developed this "Stepped Chamber" design. It seals the case mouth much better, giving higher velocities. Some will argue that it also aids in allowing extraction. Don't know about that one. But HK, Walther and others have chosen to use this "improved chamber" over the traditional tapered chamber. I myself prefer it and does NOT hurt anything if you do reload. Perhaps the case mouths will be worked a little more but I have never had an issue with it.

I believe the stepped chamber is an improvement over the standard tapered chamber.
THIS^

Well written. A stepped chamber is also somewhat more expensive to produce, and rarely if ever seen on cheap 9mm pistols. Look at it as an upgrade from standard non-HK fare.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
... does NOT hurt anything if you do reload. Perhaps the case mouths will be worked a little more but I have never had an issue with it.
I echo this from a reloaders perspective. I was worried at first that removing the line out of the brass in the resizing die would diminish brass life, but have had no issues with it.

·
Registered
818 Posts
THIS^

Well written. A stepped chamber is also somewhat more expensive to produce, and rarely if ever seen on cheap 9mm pistols. Look at it as an upgrade from standard non-HK fare.
I disagree with the cost issue. All you need is the stepped reamer. Reamers all cost about the same, no matter what you want. I haven't bought a reamer for a pistol in a LONG TIME, but rifle reams run about the same, no matter what. Even custom design reamers don't cost much more. Our shop has had Pacific Tool & Die make us reamers with shorter throat lengths so we can set big, heavy weight bullets on the lands. No real difference in price. They grind them to our specs.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well it does seal better than my 45s do. I get bullet lube all in my 45 receivers and my 9mm is very clean after shooting. They are actually opposites my 45s do not have any lead in them after shooting but has some bullet lube in the receivers and the new 9mm is clean in the receiver but gets too much lead in the barrel. Going to try out some copper plated bullets this weekend and see if it makes cleanup easier.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Well it does seal better than my 45s do. I get bullet lube all in my 45 receivers and my 9mm is very clean after shooting. They are actually opposites my 45s do not have any lead in them after shooting but has some bullet lube in the receivers and the new 9mm is clean in the receiver but gets too much lead in the barrel. Going to try out some copper plated bullets this weekend and see if it makes cleanup easier.
You are driving your reloads too fast. If you're leading the barrel, slow them down or use a different bullet. For non jacketed bullets, I use Billy Bullets. They are all moly coated and can still shoot them at jacketed velocities. Very accurate as well. Price is also right. Check them out; wwwbillybullets.com

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You are driving your reloads too fast. If you're leading the barrel, slow them down or use a different bullet. For non jacketed bullets, I use Billy Bullets. They are all moly coated and can still shoot them at jacketed velocities. Very accurate as well. Price is also right. Check them out; wwwbillybullets.com
I tried slower and it still leaded witch I don't understand because this is the only gun that leads with the carnauba wax lube we use. But anyway the plated bullets are cheap and will solve both cleaning problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts