HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After years of pining for a rifle, and thinking I'd have to settle for a CTME :650: (sorry if that's your choice, but I always thought they looked sketchy, but I always saw *way* used-up units at local shops, never a new one). As it turns out I am lucky enough to have a PTR 91 GI now, and It is very sweet machine. My first impressions, but take all this with a grain of salt: I absolutely no training or experience with ANY firearms, never grew up with them, always been a little intimidated by them and in general am something of a yuppy bitch:

*Quality

This weapon reeks of craftsmanship and attention to detail; they GI version appears to be a brand new HK91, altho I'm share some old sod will promptly let me have it for worshiping a false idol. My flash hider was on rock-solid. My bolt gap is, well I have no idea since I'm such a nooboo dufus, but I understand this is something I need to check/be aware of/perseverate over. Only one thing was a little creaky/not tight as hell: the front lime green hand-guard—it was a little loose in the front and I figured this was definitely a candidate for an upgrade since I wanted to make it as comfy for me as possible and I really dig the wide front hand-guard. No big deal. And wanted as much black on the weapon as possible, which leads to my next blurb...

*Accessories

I got a replacement Black (A3?) stock from RTG (they are super cool and have really good prices) as well as a new wide front hand-guard (which turned out to be rock-solid fit altho they sent me the wrong color, still waiting for black one to be sent). I also picked up a Hensodlt scope for $429-this is a superior piece of German craftsmanship that I am super happy with. The one I got is pretty thrashed on the outside but the optics are perfect. I couldn't figure out how to get it mounted for about four days and then a fren came over and figured it out in about 10 seconds. Nice to have your ass handed to you at least once a week, keeps you real. I also got a used "Swiss" cleaning kit, a few extra mags, and a bipod-only item from eBay. The bipod may being going back tot he seller tho, it doesn't fit at all on the hand-guard and the legs are kinda wobbly, which is strange for a brand new, "german-engineered" weapon accessory. [Does anyone know if the legs are supposed to be all wobbly, is that normal?] I'll wait for the new black hand-guard to arrive and see if it mounts OK. You really need a bipod me thinks for aiming I think, see the next section.

*Range report

Went up to my buddy's dad's ranch in the hills, he instructs me not to bring any steel core ammo since the grass/brush everywhere in the US is prone to spontaneous explosion (BLM reps are quoted as saying the super dry sap in some desert shrubs, I forget which kind, are prone to literally exploding according to firefighters, this once the tree is engulfed in flames from a range fire. I digress...). I am such a dufus that I ask him which ones are steel. he is nice and just asks "do you have a magnet?" Doh! Again, ass-in-hand for breakfast. Mmmmm good.

Since this is my first time shooting in years and only pistols at that, He recommends we start with a little skeet shooting to warm up. Of course I want to take out my new MBR, but I go easy and agree to emptying a couple boxes of shot on these flying orange thing. I hit maybe 2 out of 25 using 10, 12 and 20 gauge rifles. (no Lee Harvey Oswald here!, but granted it's my FIRST time shooting shotguns EVER). This guy and his family have every conceivable type of gun there is, that is why he is the rangemaster!

Then we move on to pistols: 357 targus 8", 9 mm sigsaur, colt replica 1896 six shooter (best pistol on the range that day-sweet light trigger, easy to aim, I nailed a 4-inch skeet on a fence-post at 50 yards-not bad for a city-bitch, eh?) Those are fun, but while those are being emptied I get out the beast...

I'm nervous to make this thing work, fumble a 20-round mag into place, crank the bolt latch back, (gulp), and shove the lever down for the first time ever with a live round in the chamber. It felt good, solid and made a unique sound compared to the couple of times I've smashed the bolt into place with no live rounds. Kind of like a transmission on a BMW motorbike engaging 2nd gear—smooth and multi-layered/iterated mechanical feel. Another gulp, aim, fire. First thought flashes thru my mind: Good lord this thing is a cannon. I peer downrange at the wallmart lime green target I was aiming at (I've had lasik vision correction and am super lucky to have 20-10 and 20-15 vision L/R). Holy smokes, I hit the damn thing! Low and 8 inches in the 4 o'clock range. The dirt on the hill a few feet back is now raining back to earth. My fren looks over and smiles and asks "That a big enough gun for yea?" I smile back. I proceed to empty 4 boxes of winchester soft-point into the target/fence posts (6-inch tar-treated posts and 1 inch steel uprights holding rusty of barbed wire.) I nailed one clay pidgeon mounted on the steel fence upright fencepost. I feel like there is hope for me. I go to check the targets: not bad for standing position and firing a weapon for the first time-most of my shots make little quarter-inch holes all over the target. Then I check out the steel fencepost: holy crap! At 70-80 yards, when hit dead-on (it's only one inch wide), the steel fencepost is almost sheared in half! Shots off to the the side also cut clean thru and leave the fencepost bent at a 20-degree angle. The six-inch timber posted have little tiny quarter-inch holes in the front. The backs of same post is an ugly array of 2-6 inch wood slivers around a series of 4-inch craters. Wow, we are both impressed, this weapon is a effn monster! I ask him if he thinks I can take a deer down with this weapon, he replies with a laugh that I could probably take down about eight at once, I just need to line up their heads before I aim. The barrel on the rifle is still waaaay too hot handle after we get back from checking the targets—I bet you I only do that move once! Barrel temp after 80 rounds=HOT. Front wide hand-guard works great tho, no heat on left hand when holding weapon, even after 80 rounds. It's hot, we go back in for some cherry kool-aid, the only drink of real HK aficionados. :52:

*Cleaning

We squirt a little WD40 down the barrel, brush it a couple of times with a brass brush and swab the barrel with clean pads. Pretty dirty, we agree this rifle needs it's barrel cleaned after every use. I proceed to do the only thing that even comes close to impressing him about my gun knowledge: I drop the two back pins, off goes the butt assembly and whip out the bolt and hand it to him just like I'm some recruit right out of Full Metal Jacket, he tells me there "may be a place for me in his beloved corps." (no offense to real Marines, we are just kidding around of course). It's very dirty, we wipe 'er down good and re-assemble. I tell him we need to check the bolt gap. He has no idea what the hell I'm talking about and tells me to either Google it or go to the local gunshop to get a clue. I've done the former and am still a little puzzled as to how/what/why/where this bolt gap thing is all about but I think I'll go to the gun place and see if they have a clue. I'm amazed the thing holds together at all given the nature of what happens when it's fired, seems like there is enough force generated to explode the thing on every shot.

*End

I really like this rifle, it's seems bigger and more bad-asser when fired, I had *no* idea it was going to be so powerful. I can see why this weapon is issued currently to NATO/Euro counties unlucky enough to be in the middle east. And I'd be scared ****less to have anyone pointing this thing at me since it seems like a round from it could cut thru most cars and still gut anyone ducking behind it. It's hard for me to aim, but I'm a little dude at 5'8" so I'm looking forward to shooting at a real range, and/or using a properly mounted bi-pod to really make the thing work hard at long range for dead-on shots at 300 yards. That is my goal, to become proficient with this to be able to nail things at long range. I ordered 700 rounds online; 500 steel and 200 sport brass. I love the scope too: has a minimalistic looks but works like a charm-it's as clear as a Canon L-series lens too.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Welcome to HK Pro!

Pictures?

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
Nice write-up. Welcome to the sickness my friend...

Here is a short vid on checking your bolt gap.

Do it now and then again in a few hundred rounds. Compare the two numbers...they should be very close to each other.

Also, get yourself a chamber flute brush and a barrel face brush. I recommend the "Special - Chamber Face Brush, Receiver Brush, 9mm Combination Brush & Knurled Rod - Order# 591 $29.95" found here: E&L Manufacturing e.Store - Cleaning Brushes

Oh yea...pics please...or it didn't happen (homage to Retrodog)

·
Registered
62 Posts
I purchased a brand new Springfield SAR-8 several years ago. Great gun. Had the real flash suppressor. Used it with one of my full auto trigger packs. Tough to keep a full auto .308 on target.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts