HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question. You full auto guys will likely have good info.

How often do you clean your MP5 types? Every range trip? Every other range trip. Once a year?
I've been wondering how often the type needs cleaned and if they will run extremely dirty?

·
Teufelshund Tactical
7,508 Posts
I'm obsessive compulsive with my weapons and clean them after every range trip. Every 5,000 rounds or so, I completely disassemble the weapons for a thorough cleaning.
Do they need that much maintenance? Are there guys who run them filthy and take pride in how filthy they can get them?
I guess I've got too many years of The Citadel and Marine Corps inspections under my belt to not be white glove inspection ready.

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm with you guys, my weapons get cleaned every time I fire them regardless of round count. But if I shoot it every weekend I might skip a session or two. I go through a lot of cleaning supplies.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
667 Posts
I let my PTR go for a few months without cleaning, just to see if it caused reliability issues. It didn't cause any problems before I couldn't bear to leave it dirty any longer. I don't imagine an MP5 would be any different?

·
Premium Member
3,853 Posts
The roller locks can go through a ton of rounds before they get dirty enough to affect reliability. While some people clean after every range trip as a matter of course, it isn't strictly needed.

·
Registered
931 Posts
HK's can take an extreme amount of abuse, but that abuse is cumulative.

It will take more time to wear out an HK than virtually any other gun.

Proper care will stave off any failures short of defective parts.

Dennis

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Clean mine almost every range trip. I've tried to see how long they could go with out needing cleaned before malfunction. The mp5 and k both started having malfunctions around 7500 rounds. The SD I kept the barrel and suppressor cleaned as needed but let everything else get dirty. It is still going strong at over 5k through her. The mag well is getting gunked up with crud and is making it difficult to insert mags but still she purs away regardless. My 23e I let go and finally got a malfunction at 10,000 rounds. Wouldn't go into battery on the first round with the hk "slap" using the forward assist to close the bolt would then allow it to run the whole belt. Cleaned it at 12k and continue to regularly clean them all. Barrel is shot out at 12ish rounds and key wholes lol.

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input guys.
This reminds me, I wore out my chamber brush. Need to get another but meanwhile I'll keep using a 40 cal pistol brush.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I clean them after each range trip, which can become a pain in the ass since these guns run so dirty and I don't have an ultrasonic cleaner. I know guys that never clean their HK's and they get absolutely filthy, I don't know how they can let them go like that. The only roller gun that I don't clean is my POF MP5, just because I want to see how dirty it can get before it starts to have problems.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
My 23e I let go and finally got a malfunction at 10,000 rounds. Wouldn't go into battery on the first round with the hk "slap" using the forward assist to close the bolt would then allow it to run the whole belt. Cleaned it at 12k and continue to regularly clean them all. Barrel is shot out at 12ish rounds and key wholes lol.
How's the 23e receiver holding up after all those rounds? any flat spots/dimpling on the receiver rails?

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
How's the 23e receiver holding up after all those rounds? any flat spots/dimpling on the receiver rails?
Not sure, I'll have to check when I get home and look inside the receiver. I'll report back then.

·
Super Moderator
4,379 Posts
I concur with James on this issue--I'm pretty dedicated to cleaning after every range trip. With the roller-locked weapons the task becomes a lot easier if you buy the chamber-face brush and chamber brush.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
My MP5 , I take apart the BGC and wipe it and mildly lube every 2000 rds. The SD gets the same treatment every 500 rds, sd get lot more Kurd buildup.The PDW and the 33K , I never need cleaning , they are safe queens .

·
Registered
87 Posts
Ain't nothing wrong with cleaning after every range trip. Even if I don't shoot them for a while I'll still pull out clean guns and disassemble. Mainly because I like to stay comfortable with the weapon inside and out. Clean or dirty I think they will run fine but it don't hurt to take the time to give them a bath

·
Registered
833 Posts
After a few years I stopped doing the thorough 1hr cleaning, which included an ultrasonic bath, and now I do a quick wipe down cleaning and bore snake in the barrel a few times.

Using Fireclean or similar stuff (Slip2000, or silicone based brake fluid) makes it easy.

I put a bit of the Fireclean etc on the bolt face and roller recesses.

Yes, I've read the Crisco claims. It works, and I'll use it up. I have so many different lubes to use...

If I see crud accumulating in the bolt around the extractor, I'll take it apart to get that outta there.

I don't use my can as much which helps reduce the buildup.

It takes me 5 minutes to do my limited cleaning.

·
Registered
52 Posts
After a few years I stopped doing the thorough 1hr cleaning, which included an ultrasonic bath, and now I do a quick wipe down cleaning and bore snake in the barrel a few times.

Using Fireclean or similar stuff (Slip2000, or silicone based brake fluid) makes it easy.

I put a bit of the Fireclean etc on the bolt face and roller recesses.

Yes, I've read the Crisco claims. It works, and I'll use it up. I have so many different lubes to use...

If I see crud accumulating in the bolt around the extractor, I'll take it apart to get that outta there.

I don't use my can as much which helps reduce the buildup.

It takes me 5 minutes to do my limited cleaning.
Same here, every once in a while i'll break it down completly and give mine a thorough cleaning.

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A guy I work with has an HK91 he's told me about. Been working on him to buy it and I'm about there but that's another story. One day he brings it to work to let me look at it. OMG! The poor thing was in horrible condition, filthy as hell. Right before his eyes I pulled it down and found a questionable bore and a rusty bolt group. I know the guy just well enough to know I can chew his ass and I kind of let him have it, though not as hard as I'd have liked, still his gun.
The condition of the gun showed me he's no coolaide drinker or even an enthusiast. He's admitted to me that it's "just for putting lead down range" and his boys like it. He's more of an old school iron and wood man.
He bought the gun new in 1992 he says so the original owner.
After my tongue lashing I offered to clean it for him because I felt sorry for the gun. He had admitted it had probably been years since it was cleaned last and agreed to let me do the deed. Free cleaning, how can he refuse?
I was shocked. Most here have seen filthy guns, you auto and suppressor guys know full well how dirty these can get. This one was dry as a bone and completely full of crud, the likes of which I haven't seen in a long time. But the ugliest part was the rust. Both the bolt and carrier were spotted with rust, that kind of rust one sees when something has been really hot and burned off all the oils and then let sit for months. Or years.
The wear in the gun is the worst I've seen in the type. The wear patterns on the inside of the receiver, the chamber face, and on the bolt group are admirable in the story they tell as to the round count they've seen and the neglect they've suffered.
It took over an hour and lot's of product but I got it clean. The bore turned out perfect, the ugly came out with scrubbing. Much product, multiple shapes of tooth brushes, face brushes, chamber brushes, rags, and patches finally yielded me a clean rifle. There were even some picks involved. The bolt head is permanently stained where the rust got to it and nothing less than media blasting will cure that.
And the gun ran perfectly as recently as about a month and a half ago according to the owner.
Bastard.
It's clean and lubed and well preserved until it sees rounds again, I saw to that. The gun's exterior shows signs of heavy use but I wouldn't call it neglect. It wears a carry handle and there are tell-tale marks of some kind of scope mount being used that I haven't identified yet. The mount is gone.
I have him talked into selling me the rifle for a fair price, I just need to put a priority on getting it done. He kissed the premium price good bye when I saw it's condition though. Dropped the price $1k.
Definitely a shooter and that's what I'll do with it.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I go about 1500rds between thorough cleanings, which is about 3 trips to the range for me..... suppressed and un-suppressed,

I use Fireclean, and find that a quick wipedown of the internals after each range trip with a soft rag is all that is necessary to get off the bulk of the buildup.

I also clean out the extractor area as well.

But no matter how dirty my weapon gets, I've never experienced a failure that could be directly attributed to "dirt buildup".

If you have the time, clean it after each range trip.
If not.... it is unlikely to cause an issue.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts