HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I know the direction I need to go - the range will ultimately decide. However, I'm still in research phase> I am female and have relatively weak hand strength. I also have smaller hands overall. I am looking for a firearm for personal protection and that is just fun to shoot as well. I really like the HK USP Compact 9mm. I am still open to suggestions to investigate. One kicker--I'm in Cali so we have some restrictions :( I appreciate any and all advice and ideas you provide.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Welcome! I'm new to the forum and from California.

USP and P2000 models are on roster, and the latter is pretty ergonomic and affordable. P30 and VP9 models are off roster and start around $1k in the private market (calguns.net). If I were you I'd start with a P2000 9mm v2

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
VP9 has the charging supports which actually help a lot I think. Even without them though, it seems like a pretty easy slide to manipulate to me. And of course it's great fun to shoot.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Based on your small hands and weaker grip, I would suggest looking into the P30sk V1 if you intend to carry, or the VP9. Both are small enough and light enough as the USPc is a beast compared to them, though I love the USPc as well as the other two. Both the P30sk and the VP9 have interchangeable grip configurations which will allow you the best fit. They also both have a shorter length to the trigger, allowing smaller hands to get a good purchase and have good control of their triggers. Not to mention that the VP9 and the P30sk are both superb shooters and downright tack drivers. With the USPc, that is not the case for many shooters. Weight is another issue. The USPc is the heaviest of all three and for a smaller lady with smaller hands and less grip strength, that could hamper range fun. Yet again, I love the USPc and my XXL paws have no problems handling and firing it well. I find myself carrying the P30sk v1 and for the range I'm firing the VP9 and the SK far more than the USPc. I feel bad for the USPc as it rarely gets out to have fun anymore. I guess I need to take it out next time and feed it some rounds that it loves to devour.
Try and get your hands on each and tell for y9ourself but realize that in store, the VP or SK may not have the panels installed which would feel better for you. Then I suggest you shop around our supporting vendors and classified for the best prices unless your LGS has reasonable deals.
Welcome to the site and to HK. Looking forward to hearing about your chosen purchase and your first range report with it.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
1- the range will ultimately decide.
2- I am female and have relatively weak hand strength.
3- I am looking for a firearm for personal protection and that is just fun to shoot as well.
1- Yes it will ! First thing you need to do is find a place to shoot . If it's indoors you want tonnes of makeup air blowing through. The lead you can't see can kill ya' as well.

2- You have got to work on your wrist/lower arm and finger strength .It's really gonna help the whole experience plus you'll get better faster . I wouldn't suggest doing what everyone accuses me of doing , which could conceivably make your grip stronger , but I don't know you well enough to suggest that :biggrin: Seriously though check out your local Sporting Goods store or something. You will appreciate it when you go to manipulate the slide and...........load magazines ,whatever . Work on that strength !

3- Get something that fits YOU whatever it is ! Get something with a Hammer/Safety ,and a DA/SA trogger system . If you enjoy shooting it you will enjoy shooting it well that much easier! If you're going to carry in a pouch or something that opens up size wise what you might like . Take some classes and meet other people , it's a fun journey. Get a 9mm , do not get a .380 . You won't hate yourself in the morning with a 9. If the USPc or P2000 works go for it !

AMMO ! You can usually buy ammo online cheaper than most shops sell it for . Enough of my BS . Don't forget, get a grip tater chip !

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
For smaller hands I'd recommend the P2000SK or the P30SK. When you try the P30SK, make sure the small grips are on. Both are about the same firearm, with the P30SK having more features (interchangeable grips and factory night sights). Other than that...it's the same pistol. If the P2000SK fits your grip and you can get a good price on it, go for that. If you want something more up to date, go for the P30SK. You will have to decide on V1 or V3, and safety/no safety.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I think I know the direction I need to go - the range will ultimately decide. However, I'm still in research phase> I am female and have relatively weak hand strength. I also have smaller hands overall. I am looking for a firearm for personal protection and that is just fun to shoot as well. I really like the HK USP Compact 9mm. I am still open to suggestions to investigate. One kicker--I'm in Cali so we have some restrictions :( I appreciate any and all advice and ideas you provide.
If you came up to me at our gun counter and presented these requirements... I would show you some high quality single stack 9's... but with HK in your sights, I would suggest the P30sk and suggest you start off with the "small" side/back panels, and go from there.
-Mick

·
Registered
4 Posts
My wife is from Japan and she bought the HK USP Comp 9mm and fits her needs and hands. I sent her to a local range / gun shop that also rents what they sell. I suggest you do the same. This way you get hands on experience and that is priceless. Best of luck and welcome. JUST FYI... She also has a FN5.7 which is on the larger side, but she likes it as well. I have own 4 different HK handguns, but have carried a IMI Jericho 941 (9mm) for 28+ years... habits die hard. Most importantly, get out and shoot as much as you can and practice so you know your limits and range of accuracy.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
3- Get something that fits YOU whatever it is !

Number one thing IMO is having a gun that fits your hand and feels comfortable. This will allow you to control the weapon from the start and allow you to progress in your skills quicker. If you can't control it, you can't hit what needs to be hit! If you can rent an HK at a range you are interested in definitely do it. My wife loves her P30SK V3, which I have also shot and it is a soft shooter for a sub-compact 9mm and carries easy. Good luck on your search and welcome.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Definitely go to the range and try them.

I just purchased my first guns last year. Female, no previous shooting experience, small hands.

Started with a 1911 but then a HK p30 (da/sa w safety).

I love the p30, adore it. I call it my security blanket. Lol

This year I picked up the p30sks. I also sent it to lazy wolf guns for a complete package (trigger, reset, nickel.) It's incredible.

My p30 is going next to Rick.

You'll know the right one when you spend some range time with it. I knew the p30 from the moment I grabbed it, the range just confirmed it was the one.

I can carry both but the p30sk is way easier. P30 is likely a winter carry.

I use the Dene Adams carry corsets. Conceal is amazing, I can easily get to my gun and they are sexy (as a bonus)

Side note, I just picked up the usp expert (9mm) and the grip tore up my hand. So make sure you put quite a few rounds downrange to see how it feels for you. I still love it, but ouch. Lol

P30sks v3

P30 v3

Usp expert

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
143 Posts
Oh shoot, handstrength...

So I limp wristed my p30 a lot early. Caused stove pipes and such.

Everyone here gave tips, I followed those. I also took quite a few classes and lessons which helped my grip/stance. And, it broke in swiftly.

I don't think I've had a stove pipe or issue with it all year now.

The p30sks never had an issue. Not sure if that's due mote to my improvements or not.

So, if you stick to it and get some coaching I think you'll overcome the weak grip.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you everyone! You have provided some amazing advice. I have to verify what is..and what isn't .. on the roster for California as available to purchase. Gotta love west coast regs!! Don't even ask about buying ammo. I will be heading to the range to try out some different options. I will keep you all updated and provide pics - if I can figure out how to load them. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Definitely go to the range and try them.

I just purchased my first guns last year. Female, no previous shooting experience, small hands.

Started with a 1911 but then a HK p30 (da/sa w safety).

I love the p30, adore it. I call it my security blanket. Lol

This year I picked up the p30sks. I also sent it to lazy wolf guns for a complete package (trigger, reset, nickel.) It's incredible.

My p30 is going next to Rick.

You'll know the right one when you spend some range time with it. I knew the p30 from the moment I grabbed it, the range just confirmed it was the one.

I can carry both but the p30sk is way easier. P30 is likely a winter carry.

I use the Dene Adams carry corsets. Conceal is amazing, I can easily get to my gun and they are sexy (as a bonus)

Side note, I just picked up the usp expert (9mm) and the grip tore up my hand. So make sure you put quite a few rounds downrange to see how it feels for you. I still love it, but ouch. Lol

P30sks v3

P30 v3

Usp expert

Just had to say...some sweet pics! Thanks for the advice and recommendations!

·
Registered
143 Posts
V1X3NV that p30 is gorgeous. Is that leather behind it the holster? What the heck, where do I get one of those?!?! Too cool.
Thank you!! Yes, that holster is from Savoy Leather - they hand color it. They have a lot of different options but I love sugar skulls lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts