HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Firearm Blog found in basically the last paragraph about Sweden procuring some armored or tracked vehicles that Sweden will be looking to announce the winner for a contract for a new service rifle. Also, this rifle will be purchased jointly with Finland. Sweden wants to replace their FN FNC-based AK5 and HK G3/AK4 rifles, and Finland want to phase out their Valmet RK62 and Sako RK95 rifles.

Of note is that in the article it's hinted that the HK433 might be looked at, as well as maybe the 416 if both countries agree on 5.56mm NATO as the main caliber (Finland mostly uses 7.62x39mm). There's also some suppositions that the 7.62x39mm 433 might see the light of day if Finland keep that caliber. Of course, this is all speculation, but could be interesting to watch.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I feel like Finland is going to be fairly invested in keeping 7.62x39mm since they just bought AK's from South Korea in that chambering. To be fair though, those are semi-auto only and intended only for reservists/cadets, if I remember correctly.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The TFB article (and the press piece blurb that they based their article off of) do make it seem that the Finns are on board with whatever Sweden adopts. Thing is that we'll know fairly soon what the Swedes adopt since an announcement is due in Sept if all goes well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I feel like Finland is going to be fairly invested in keeping 7.62x39mm since they just bought AK's from South Korea in that chambering. To be fair though, those are semi-auto only and intended only for reservists/cadets, if I remember correctly.
Wouldn't think it would be too hard to keep the ammo in stores for reserve and cadets, and adopt a new cartridge in line with the rest of the world

1 - 4 of 4 Posts