HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lanyard loop insert pin on my USPc9 got pretty rusted during the last year. Needed lots of push to remove, but I was able to de-rust it partially. Must be EDC IWB issue in FL. I'll be getting a new one to replace the rusty one. Otherwise, this weapon is perfect!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Mine is the same, i think my sweat during the summer caused it to rust. But I figure it will happen to the replacement too, so I just soak it in CLP and brush it clean once in a while.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Here's another heads-up: You MUST push up on the lanyard loop insert to relieve the spring pressure against it before trying to push out the pin. It is a barbell-shaped pin, so that the spring-pressure from the hammer spring on the lanyard loop insert makes the insert lock into the recess on the pin, keeping it from working it's way out. If you just try to knock the pin out, you will damage the lanyard loop insert. There have been several threads by guys wanting to know why their lanyard loop insert pin won't stay in anymore, and that is because they damaged their plastic lanyard loop insert when removing the pin, by not pushing up on the lanyard loop before pushing the pin out. That pin will EASILY push out with just the tip of a ball-point pen once you push up on the lanyard loop insert. NO PUNCH NEEDED

·
Registered
1997 USP 9mm Full Size, too many upgrades to list.
610 Posts
Here's another heads-up: You MUST push up on the lanyard loop insert to relieve the spring pressure against it before trying to push out the pin. It is a barbell-shaped pin, so that the spring-pressure from the hammer spring on the lanyard loop insert makes the insert lock into the recess on the pin, keeping it from working it's way out. If you just try to knock the pin out, you will damage the lanyard loop insert. There have been several threads by guys wanting to know why their lanyard loop insert pin won't stay in anymore, and that is because they damaged them when removing the pin, by not pushing up on the lanyard loop before pushing the pin out. That pin will EASILY push out with just the tip of a ball-point pen once you push up on the lanyard loop insert. NO PUNCH NEEDED
EXACTLY! Remember this is a plastic frame, the rust can't bond to it. Mine was like that in '99, just cleaned it up with some Hoppe's #9 and am sure to keep it oiled regularly ever since. I've never replaced it or had a problem again.

-Sean

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Daub it with Eezox every month or so and worry no more.

I've been carrying, at various times, a USPc .45, USPc .40, HK45C, and P2000 (a few times) since 2005. That pin is the only part on any of them that has shown the slightest sign of rust; and I've sweated all over them. I live in south Louisiana, so its just as bad here as where you are.

Eezox is amazing stuff. Not worth much as a lube (except for .22s), too damn expensive to use as a solvent, but man... I haven't found anything as good as a corrosion inhibitor.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just looked up the price for the pin. $27 with shipping! Eezox for me. BTW, I did push the lanyard loop insert in as far down as it'll go while pushing the rusted pin out...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts