HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i noticed that the XD forum has an entire section on rust.

has this ever been a problem with HKs?

·
Registered
224 Posts
i noticed that the XD forum has an entire section on rust.

has this ever been a problem with HKs?
Not really.

From what I have read the early XD pistols had a VERY poor finish that rusted rather quick. This was solved by the time they released their .45 pistols and they started putting the new finish on the 9mm and .40 models.

One nice thing about HK is they actually do some R&D instead of mass releasing a pistol and having a good number of them come back for things that should have been taken care of prior to release.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Well, I've been slightly annoyed that my P2000 SK came new with rust where it is laser etched. It seems that they etch it after the coating is applied, leaving bare steel. Sure, it's cosmetic, but who wants to pay over $900 (after tax) and have even a cosmetic issue?

-john

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Well, I've been slightly annoyed that my P2000 SK came new with rust where it is laser etched. It seems that they etch it after the coating is applied, leaving bare steel. Sure, it's cosmetic, but who wants to pay over $900 (after tax) and have even a cosmetic issue?

-john
Have any pics of that? From what i know, the serial number and proof markings have a gold colored paint on them, and i suppose if it had some crud on it, may appear to be rust. If its rusting then it might be a fault with the finish (which as i explain below, goes deeper than just the surface of the metal)

As far as HK goes, the only problem you'll have with rust, is the P7 series, or the guns with regular "blueing" and only if you do not care for it properly!

The USP has a good rust protection that goes beneath the surface of the metal, and protects even after the finish has worn off, some sort of "Dow Corning" anti-rust stuffs IIRC.

·
Registered
388 Posts

-john
This happened to my best friend, who carries a new JS marked USP CT. The laser etched area showed some rust rather quickly. The problem turned out to be carryng the pistol, then leaving it in the holster at night. He now wipes down the pistol with CLP after carrying it all day, and leaves it out of the holster. No more rust has shown since he changed his regimen.

I DO think the laser etched slides are a problem. They really should do this BEFORE finishing the slides. I thought his pistol was the only one with the problem until I read about it from other members here as well. I have never had any rust problem with my "AF" USP45f, but I don't carry the pistol (& sweat on it all day). It seems some pistols are coming NIB showing the same rust, and that sucks. I know the cell foam in the case is one problem, as it retains moisture, but I'd be a little razzed if my NIB HK had rust on the etching.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts