HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering whether anyone here uses an ultrasonic cleaner to get feed mech's from belt feds like a 21 or 23 super clean? There are lots and lots of parts and pieces, many springs, plungers and every manner of gadget and gear in these things. In the past I've just used brake cleaner to surface clean, which is just OK. Thoughts and experience on this? If safe, what solution are you using?

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Sure... I use a parts washer first to get most of the crap out of the mechanism and then follow that with a run in the ultrasonic filled with Hornady One Shot Sonic Solution. After that, I spray the entire mechanism down with Hornady one shot cleaner/lube. Pretty good results and I really like the dry film lube the cleaner leaves behind. Plus the fact that you know its getting sprayed down into "all manner of gadget and gears" as you say... Lol

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
generally safe yes.

As with anything ultrasonic, make sure you have compatibility between solution and parts being cleaned.

I clean mine in the ultrasonic. Chemcrest-235 is what I'm using for cleaner. I've also got ultrasonic lube tanks, so I can make sure all the water gets displaced out of everywhere the cleaning solution went

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I've also got ultrasonic lube tanks, so I can make sure all the water gets displaced out of everywhere the cleaning solution went
Great point and that's a great process... I only have the one tank however, so I really like the One Shot cleaner/lube as the last step.

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
you can usually get 'indirect' tanks that sit in the top of the main tank, so you can run multiple solutions without having to drain/clean the main tank. You said 1-shot stuff, so I'll assume a 1-shot tank too.

Hornady Lock-N-Load Hot Tub Sonic Cleaner Indirect Tank 1.6 Liter SS

in my setup I've got 4 large beakers:
cleaning solution
rinse or 2nd cleaning station (when cleaning lots of parts)
rinse
lube

For bigger parts I've got full size tanks like the one I linked above. Its a really nice way to move between clean/rinse/lube.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
you can usually get 'indirect' tanks that sit in the top of the main tank, so you can run multiple solutions without having to drain/clean the main tank. You said 1-shot stuff, so I'll assume a 1-shot tank too.

Hornady Lock-N-Load Hot Tub Sonic Cleaner Indirect Tank 1.6 Liter SS

in my setup I've got 4 large beakers:
cleaning solution
rinse or 2nd cleaning station (when cleaning lots of parts)
rinse
lube

For bigger parts I've got full size tanks like the one I linked above. Its a really nice way to move between clean/rinse/lube.
Yeah... I'm gonna try that.
What type of lube do you run in the tank?

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Excellent info - thank you for the detail. I'd like to learn more about using lube in the ultrasonic too. I'm going to pick up some Hornady Oneshot solution, and Oneshot Cleaner/Lube.

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
The Hornady ultrasonic 'one shot' products are cleaners only. You still have to rinse/dry/lube as separate steps.

I'd like to learn more about using lube in the ultrasonic too
There really isn't much to it: Fill pan with lube, turn on sonics, submerge parts, wait, turn off sonics, remove parts, remove excess lube.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I never owned an HK LMG, but I know from the M60 that the feed tray really doesn't get that dirty at all.

I'm curious if the HK design does.

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
depends on the usage.

The m60's feed mech is mostly above the barrel, the HK's have it below, so naturally gravity is going to put a bit more crud into the mec on a HK. Also many times the I can have fun with a transferable LMG occurs at a once a year shoot, and on that day 5k, 10k, 20k rounds, or more, might be shot. Which is a lot more rounds in a day than I got when Uncle Sam was handing me the ammo.

·
Vendor
2,037 Posts
I use an US cleaner on my MM23/21E setup. Works fine. Feed mech too.

Do remember that the US unit will strip ALL lube from everything.

Also ... Even if you US the mech you'll still need to get a pick after the hard carbon that builds up on the tray/cover -leading edge I believe. That crap gunks up hard there.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
depends on the usage.

The m60's feed mech is mostly above the barrel, the HK's have it below, so naturally gravity is going to put a bit more crud into the mec on a HK. Also many times the I can have fun with a transferable LMG occurs at a once a year shoot, and on that day 5k, 10k, 20k rounds, or more, might be shot. Which is a lot more rounds in a day than I got when Uncle Sam was handing me the ammo.
Thanks for explaining jd.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts