HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Yes, I'm a new guy. I spent a lot of time searching this forum before posting but I didn't find the answers I was looking for, so below are some questions.

As the title implies, I'm looking to make my 1995 (Greek) SAR-8 922(r) compliant.

I'm not sure which of the 20 listed parts the SAR-8 has in it. I've made some assumptions, but please correct me if I'm wrong:
Receiver --Yes
Barrel --Yes
Barrel extensions --No(?)
Mounting block (front trunion) --Yes
Muzzle attachment --Mine is the pinned on fake one so --No
Bolt --Yes
Bolt carrier --Yes
Operating rods (cocking handle) --Yes
Gas piston --No
Trigger housing --Yes
Trigger --Yes
Hammer --Yes
Sear --Yes
Disconnector --Yes
Buttstock --Yes
Pistol grip --Yes(B&C stock)
Forearm, handguard --Yes

Magazine body --Yes
Follower --Yes
Floorplate --Yes

If the above is correct, I count 17 parts. I mostly use Thermold Mags so that brings it down to 14(or 15 if I swap the floorplates and followers in my real mags.)

Seems that these are the easiest parts to get:

Pistol grip/trigger housing in one if I go with a Navy-style (-2)
Buttstock (-1)
Hammer (-1)
Sear (-1)

That's 5 which makes me totally clear on the Thermolds and right on when using an updated metal mags.

Am I missing something??

---------

Bonus questions:
1)I think Bell & Carlson is a US company, which means I only have to buy the $50 US made buttstock rather than the $130 US made buttstock and spring housing, right?
This:
http://www.ptr91.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=118
instead of this:
http://www.ptr91.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=120

2)Can I put my current trigger/fire control parts in the US made Navy grip frame or do I need to buy other parts to do so. Here's the grip I'm looking at: http://www.ptr91.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=109

3)I haven't seen any US made wide forearms for this rifle, are there any?

4)Are there any US made trigger upgrades? While I'm in there, I might as well replace that with something better than the stock one.

5)Where can I get US made mag floor plates and followers? I haven't seen those being sold by themselves, only full mags. I live in Kalifornia so I can't just buy new hi caps.

Thanks so much!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Shouldn't that rifle already be compliant, if it was built from a surplus kit by a U.S. manufacture? You have to be careful switching out for original parts because you may not know which compliance parts they used. Any U.S. made parts should be OK. PTR sells semi hammers and triggers that don't need modified when I bought them they weren't listed on the web but I called and they said they had them for sale.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Disconnector - no, the sear takes the place of this part. The navy type grip frame / pistol grip / lower, may or may not be considered a trigger housing, the "metal box" (thats part #8 in your SAR-8 manual) that houses all the fire control group is a trigger housing, Ptr does sell a US made one. To be on the safe side you should only count the US made navy lower as one part. I would keep your metal lower and just get a US grip. Is the US made stock from PTR made by Bell & Carlson? Ptr also make a US trigger, for a upgrade you can send your fire control group of to Williams or B. Springfield to have the pull lightened. A unnamable company does or did make a wide forearm, I had one and gave it away, poor quality like most of there parts.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
The operating rod does not apply to the 90 series of firearms- it's not the cocking handle.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The things I replaced on mine (when I had one) was the cocking handle, floor plates and followers on the mags, the hammer, the stock and the pistol girp. That should be the easiest way to get compliant. You could find a us made forearm misc trigger group parts as well just for overkill.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The SAR-8 is compliant as is. If you want to add a pistol grip and regular stock, see my website below.

http://home.att.net/~j.p.george/G3CLONE.htm
Basically, yes, I just want to add a pistol grip and regular stock. I checked out your website and, unless I'm missing something, it says that the SAR-8 has 16 foreign parts so is not compliant. Are you selling compliance parts?

·
Registered
455 Posts
I do not sell compliance parts. I purchased several sets years ago from the company that shall not be named. I think PTR is the only company selling these now. You might want to do a GOOGLE seach to find more suppliers. Most of the pictures on that part of my webpage show my compliant XG3S.

JPG

1 - 11 of 11 Posts