HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a HK91 and found a few used HK91s and a safe queen. The original owner is selling his safe queen HK91 that he claims has had 4 rounds thru it. However he wants several hundred more than the used HK91's are selling for.

Is the safe queen really worth more than the used HK91's?

thanks

Doug

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
It really all comes down to personal preference. Is it worth it to you? If you are planning on shooting the HK 91 and the others look almost as good look at it as money saved for accessories or ammo.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Of course it is worth more.. same as a virgin concubine is worth more than a well used 30 year old girl

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Of course it is worth more.. same as a virgin concubine is worth more than a well used 30 year old girl
Yes, but those well used talents far outweigh the worth of your concubine girl! :wink:

·
Registered
982 Posts
Safe queens are for rich turds that cannot find anything better to invest their money into. Guns are designed and built to be shot. Buy a gun to shoot. If you want to put the wear and tear on it yourself than buy the nice one. If you want to let someone else take the loss for the wear and tear than save some money and get a nice used gun. It's not like the gun will be worn out, just broke in.

Personally I prefer to buy any gun I am wanting used if possible. I get a better price and I don't worry about when the gun starts looking like a used gun--It already looks like a used gun. It also makes it a lot easier to keep in mind that the gun is a tool, not a trophy.

If I was in the market for a piece of artwork to hang on the wall for others to admire than I would buy a piece of artwork and hang it on the wall.

I am normally a man of few words but this is a subject that is kind of a sore spot for me. I have been at the range many times in the past when others have wanted to shoot my guns in stead of their own because they didn't see a problem running rounds thru mine since they looked like veteran guns and they wanted to save wear and tear on theirs. REALLY? Obviously this did not fly with me. WHAT DID THEY BUY THEM FOR???????

I don't own any safe queens and I NEVER WILL!

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
^^ Nailed it. Get the shooter. While it may not retain all the value, metal can be refinished to look new, but shoot the piss out of it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Safe queens are for rich turds that cannot find anything better to invest their money into. Guns are designed and built to be shot. Buy a gun to shoot. If you want to put the wear and tear on it yourself than buy the nice one. If you want to let someone else take the loss for the wear and tear than save some money and get a nice used gun. It's not like the gun will be worn out, just broke in.

Personally I prefer to buy any gun I am wanting used if possible. I get a better price and I don't worry about when the gun starts looking like a used gun--It already looks like a used gun. It also makes it a lot easier to keep in mind that the gun is a tool, not a trophy.

If I was in the market for a piece of artwork to hang on the wall for others to admire than I would buy a piece of artwork and hang it on the wall.

I am normally a man of few words but this is a subject that is kind of a sore spot for me. I have been at the range many times in the past when others have wanted to shoot my guns in stead of their own because they didn't see a problem running rounds thru mine since they looked like veteran guns and they wanted to save wear and tear on theirs. REALLY? Obviously this did not fly with me. WHAT DID THEY BUY THEM FOR???????

Hey Crow I agree with you 100%...

All but 2 of my purchases have been used for the reasons you stated. Interestingly the 2 new purchases were from Cabelas for new guns that were less than used.

Here are the price specifics

Safe Queen 1978 Saco HK91 99% condition: asking $2500 (local purchase)

1981 HK 91 in 95% condition: asking $2099 (local purchase)

1976 Saco HK91 with polygonal barrel, needs refinishing: asking $2500

1976 Saco HK91 with polygonal barrel, with nasty scratches on the top near the mounts: asking $2400

These prices are without any negotiations.

For some reason I have in my head $1800 as the purchase price for a HK91 in very good shape. But then you start asking is a few 100 bucks for a 99% gun worth it?

Doug

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I an thinking that a few hundred gets you is knowing that the gun you are going to shoot hell out of is possible in better condition to start with, if the owner of the Safe Queen is telling the facts correctly and had kept the gun lubed and bore oiled (4 rounds of corrosive ammo ten years ago should be more than enough to pit the barrel .... but most of the 308 is not corrosive ;-). If you have a health toys fund, tend to be busy and not like issues or trouble shooting an extra 10% might be worth it to you to start with a little less used setup (is not much passed 200 rounds of ammo for trouble shooting) and another 10% to have a finish in good enough condition that you don't need to have it refinished someday.

All that said from your list the 95% for $2099 looks like the option if the insides are clean, free from rust and the barrel looks good, unless you have a 'need" for a Polygonal barrel, then can you cover the scratches with a scope mount (or live with them) on the $2400 HK91. Of course buying both or all three is always the "easiest" option.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Ive seen shooters from 1800 up, I have one that I tried to get 2K out of with an A3 stock with no success. Ive seen a few of those guns you are referring to advertized. None of the deals are bad although the Poly 91 for 2500...that guy has some damn crappy photos of it up. You would think someone asking that kind of money would put up some decent photos.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Yes, but those well used talents far outweigh the worth of your concubine girl! :wink:
I prefer the virgin. I can always train her

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ive seen shooters from 1800 up, I have one that I tried to get 2K out of with an A3 stock with no success. Ive seen a few of those guns you are referring to advertized. None of the deals are bad although the Poly 91 for 2500...that guy has some damn crappy photos of it up. You would think someone asking that kind of money would put up some decent photos.
I found another HK91 that some gun started at $2700 in Oct now he is down to $2200 but the gun looks rusty and also has crappy photos.

The guy with the Saco for $2500 states it needs to be refinished. So i guess he does not think he needs decent photos...

After looking at the HK91 market it appears to be soft for most guns over $2000, the exception appears to be al original guns in excellent shape.

Doug

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts

I love this and agree 100%. I just bought someones safe queen 84S-1 and warned him, she ain't gonna be a virgin anymore, I'm gonna show her some love.
With The Crow's permission I may quote his first line. I think it says it all and fits the way I feel perfectly.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
I look at what I'm getting for the price. If I can get a long OOP original at a reasonable price, I don't care if it's a safe queen or not. If someone buys a gun and just keeps it in the safe for 10 or 20 years and wants to sell it at a price I want to pay, I don't judge.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I look at what I'm getting for the price. If I can get a long OOP original at a reasonable price, I don't care if it's a safe queen or not. If someone buys a gun and just keeps it in the safe for 10 or 20 years and wants to sell it at a price I want to pay, I don't judge.
I agree with this completely. I am not saying I would not buy a safe queen or a new gun. I am just not going to pay an inflated price for it. Most people would price a safe queen quite a bit higher than a shooter. Since every gun I buy is destined to be a shooter I won't pay the premium. Price the safe queen the same as the shooters on the market and I'll gladly buy it and put the wear and tear on it myself. I have no problems busting the cherry but I'm not going to pay extra to do it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
..Price the safe queen the same as the shooters on the market and I'll gladly buy it and put the wear and tear on it myself. I have no problems busting the cherry but I'm not going to pay extra to do it.
Thanks for setting me straght. That is what I am going to do.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Personally, I think a safe queen with an excellent finish is worth more than a shotup gun that needs refinishing or is a bit marred, but only up to a point. Maybe a a hundred or two depending on the condition, but $500 or more for 99% vs. 95% seems just too much. I'm sure everyone has their own price point for NIB or LNIB vs. shooter.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Personally, I think a safe queen with an excellent finish is worth more than a shotup gun that needs refinishing or is a bit marred, but only up to a point. Maybe a a hundred or two depending on the condition, but $500 or more for 99% vs. 95% seems just too much. I'm sure everyone has their own price point for NIB or LNIB vs. shooter.
For $500 one is getting close to a new barrel (RCM or surplus) and a paint job.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts