HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was at a store yesterday and finally realized a used rifle on the shelf was a 630. I didn't put two and two together right away, because it had a 30 round mag hanging out of it.

Picked it up and studied... mag was obviously a factory 4 round welded to an ar-15 20 or 30 round....not sure which.

Asked the dealer where it came from. He said they make them. $100 a piece.

I don't need one... and it is not a pretty device...weld between the two mag bodies is ugly.

But I thought I'd mention it here.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
ok boys and girls... two frankenmags have shown up on gunbroker.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=92321589

and

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=92321763

Remembering the ones I saw on the German auction site...

these mags all look to be modded externally the same sort of way.

Has someone in our mist got enough ar/m16 mags laying around to see if they can find one that fits in a 630/sl6 mag well? I've tried one brownells 20-rd mag, but no joy.

If we can find the dimensions/brand stock mag that works, this conversion shouldn't be any real trick to do.

and then we can move onto the real frankenmag job.....20-rd 770 :)

·
2,832 Posts
one looks like a Colt 20rd mag....I have a few will see if any sorta kinda fit

and wouldnt it be perfect if a HK416 mag could be made to work? :)

looks like a rivited or welded tab and just a cut on the otherside

aways thought it was odd that the Sl6/630 did use 93/33 mags

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
aways thought it was odd that the Sl6/630 did use 93/33 mags

Did... or Didn't?

And....I've assumed that the mags weren't altered in dimension.. but I suppose someone could have slimmed them up or something... but none of the pics I've seen look like they've been disturbed that way

·
Registered
18 Posts
SL-6/630 mags

LP, those mags on GB are just older AR-15 20 and 30 round mags. They have not been welded to a factory mag. They have been modified with a metal piece in the front that makes up the necessary dimensions to fit in the front of the mag well on the sl6/630. This piece has been riveted in place. The rear has been built up/welded and cut in a few places to form the back of the mag. I also have the 20 rounders for the SL7 and have no idea what they made them from as there are no external welds or marks at all. They were all made in Germany where I bought them. They were made quite a while back fromt the looks of the few I have. I was told once that about 50 of the .308 mags were made. 308 mags require a slight bit of pressure to lock in but they do lock up and shoot perfectly. The 20 and 30 rounder .223 mags worked great but I no longer have an SL6. I suspect that by the time you had the correct dimensions for the metal tabs and paid to get them fabricated, did the weld build up and cutting and riveting, you probably would have a lot of time and money involved and that is why there are not too many of the German versions around. They are fun to own though.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The welded together mags I refererred to are a different style of frankenmag I've seen locally. They're built differently than the mags on gunbroker and egun.

But this reminds me... Landpimp... had a chance to run through some test mags yet?

·
Registered
436 Posts
ok boys and girls... two frankenmags have shown up on gunbroker.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=92321589

and

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=92321763

Remembering the ones I saw on the German auction site...

these mags all look to be modded externally the same sort of way.

Has someone in our mist got enough ar/m16 mags laying around to see if they can find one that fits in a 630/sl6 mag well? I've tried one brownells 20-rd mag, but no joy.

If we can find the dimensions/brand stock mag that works, this conversion shouldn't be any real trick to do.

and then we can move onto the real frankenmag job.....20-rd 770 :)
did anyone notice the guy is using a Luger to prop up the mags.

·
2,832 Posts
I did.....but then pretty much forgot my findings......will check again today, but I kinda remember the Colt 20rd would fit, if part of the rear of the mag was cut away seemed like it would fit, then needed a tap on the front.

But this reminds me... Landpimp... had a chance to run through some test mags yet?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wonder what makes the colt mag different. I would have thought most mags were "roughly" the same size in the neck area.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would bet it does.

I looked at a couple of my ar mags last night. On my 630 with standard stock, the wood is blocking the width of the mag at the front of the mag well.

If I get time, I'll pull the action off the stock and see if the mag is too wide for the metal hole.

I'm starting to wonder if the mags aren't either hammered narrow, or the seam is cut, and then mag narrowed up some.

Or...there are some default ar mags out there that are more narrow in the body than the rest.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
while I've got my target stock on my 630 again, I decided to look at this project again.

Studying the frankenmag shown above, I'm really thinking the feed lips of that mag don't mimic a current ar mag. Looks like the top lips roll differently.

also looks like on that mag, the front of the mag may have been cut at the mouth.

I'll play a little bit...but not holding out a lot of hope.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Some mock up pics. Setting the mag in this way, it will feed a snap cap... but that ain't the same as ammo as a snap cap can't drive the bullet back into the case :)

Studying the franken mag, I'm not sure how the tab in the front of it works. I'm thinking it basically provides a wedge to keep the mag tight, and the tab at the bottom keeps you from over-inserting it.

I wedged my mag in with some plastic

1 - 20 of 26 Posts