HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I've been a long time lurker on this board but never posted.

:)

I've got a USPf 45acp and I love it. I recently started shooting it again after a long period (over a year) when I was using a Springfield 1911 and XD45 on the range exclusively.

Man, I forgot how much I love this gun!
It is just has accurate has my 1911 (or any other handgun I've fired) and has much less recoil and a better feel than my XD45 (4" version).

The only thing I'm not crazy about on my USP is the trigger. The SA pull feels heavier and worse than the DAO pull of my XD45. :( And I'm not a fan of the decocker. In a stressed enviornment or situation, a person will almost certainly decock the weapon while taking the safety off. I've practiced lots to avoid this potential problem but I'm still sure that under pressure, I'll accidentally decock it and end up with a DA pull for the first shot.

I'm a fairly decent shot and can hit center mass of a target @ 25 yards with no problem in either SA or DA mode. It isn't an issue of whether I'll miss with the first shot but since I carry C&L, I obviously prefer the first shot to be SA.

I plan on sending my USP to Travis @ HK to have a Match Trigger installed and to change to the Variant 9 configuration.

I'd like to hear your opinions on the V9 versus V1 for a carry, HD, or Range piece.

Thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I really like the LEM trigger for carry.

Since it's a little heavier I feel less likely to accidently shoot, but it's not so heavy as to affect my aim, or speed. (Not significantly anyway)

I agree completely with the keep it simple plan. For me, I don't want to have to remember to take it off Safe in a stress situation. I want to draw, aim, and squeeze.

The LEM configuratioin gets rid of the decocker.

Not exactly what you're asking, but additional info to think about.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really like the LEM trigger for carry.

Not exactly what you're asking, but additional info to think about.
Thanks for the suggestion.

I tried the LEM trigger and found it heavier than the DAO trigger of the XD45. It also didn't break has crisply or feel as good.

:(

Having a safety never bothered me (started out shooting 1911's) and I've never had an issue flicking off the safety. The problem is only flicking off the safety and not accidentally decocking the pistol.

·
Registered
812 Posts
There is a lighter, smoother version of the LEM trigger I have on my USP 45CT. It's lighter, smoother and crisper than my XD, but otherwise very similar. I think it's called a Combat trigger.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,922 Posts
Hello back to you. Myself I always carry so that my first shot would be DA. I want to be sure that I mean for the gun to go off. That said with me having it in DA I don't have the safety on. One less thing to mess with in a hurry. That is how I carried on my Dept. I used to work for, how I carry with the military, and so also how I carry my CCW.

Good luck on your venture though.

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Hi, and welcome to the fourm!! You have one of HK's finest weapons. I always carry mine in the locked, de-cocked and ready to roll mode. I have always de-cocked the safty and then leave it on so that when I draw I flip the safty to shoot and then have just a single action pull to start firing. I don't know if this will help you, but I don't really like that light of a trigger pull on my weapons.

Happy & Safe Shooting!!
Remember next time you go shooting take along a freind who has never shot before and let to two meet!!! Lot easier to convert than to try and convince the unknowing. TJ

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hello back to you. Myself I always carry so that my first shot would be DA. I want to be sure that I mean for the gun to go off. That said with me having it in DA I don't have the safety on. One less thing to mess with in a hurry. That is how I carried on my Dept. I used to work for, how I carry with the military, and so also how I carry my CCW.

Good luck on your venture though.
I'm with you as far as the M9 POS I have to carry; that one is always holstered safety off in DA. My USPs are always Condition One, though. Personal preference, I guess.

I sooooo wish the Army would go back to .45s............

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,922 Posts
I sooooo wish the Army would go back to .45s............
I doubt that will happen anytime soon. Funding priorities are in different places and a sidearm isn't high on that list. The Air Force was trying to come up with another weapon kinda like when they did the M16 but I think that one got stopped too.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hi, and welcome to the fourm!! You have one of HK's finest weapons. I always carry mine in the locked, de-cocked and ready to roll mode. I have always de-cocked the safty and then leave it on so that when I draw I flip the safty to shoot and then have just a single action pull to start firing. I don't know if this will help you, but I don't really like that light of a trigger pull on my weapons.
?!?!?

·
Registered
887 Posts
Look into the Combat Competition trigger configuration that HK offers. It's a cross between the match and LEM trigger systems. Folks that are using it seem to swear by it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hello and welcome to the PRO. The 45 is one of HKs best.

I have owned and XD and 1911 both from Springfield. The XD is a great weapon for entry level users and to have a second inexpensive gun around, Mine was a 357 SIG. The trigger pull is much different on all three of these weapons and it all comes back to preference. I was taken back by the heavier HK trigger on my compact, that was my first. It takes practice and putting in some dry fire time sitting around the house to get used to how it feels versus other semi-autos you may own. The LEM is great, from what I hear, if you like the DAO medium weight pull like the other popular polymer firearms. I had the match installed on my USP 45, it's pretty good, the DA is smoothed up, the SA is a bit more crisp, both lighter than the factory unmodified trigger. It was a bit pricey, especially if you're shipping the weapon off for the work and it's not done local. The match runs about $125-130 from Robert Johnson, the LEM is cheaper at about 1/3-1/2 that price. I'd try each if you can before you have yours done if you can.

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts

When you de cock your safty. You hammer falls to a half way point. This takes the weapon out of DA, and you can still have the safty on. This still leaves the trigger in a "safe mode," but put the hammer in a SA mode when you release the safty to fire.

The first pull will be in SA with the safty off. Then when the slide comes back and you go to follow up with the next round you will have a SA firing position on the weapon but the hammer will be all the way back. TJ

·
Registered
189 Posts
A single-action trigger performs the single action of releasing the hammer or striker
A double-action trigger performs the two functions of cocking and then releasing the hammer or striker

Alright. Gun unloaded. Check. Check. Check. Safety on.

Load snap cap into mag. Slam mag in. Cock hammer. Rack slide/chamber snapcap. Decock goes to halfway. Safety off. Squeeze trigger. Watch hammer back up the rest of the way, then drop all the way.

You're only shortening your DA pull and removing the half-cock break that way. It's still DA, but easier. Easier does not equal SA. It's not a single action of dropping the hammer from half-cock. It's a double action of cocking the rest of the way, then dropping.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have to agree with N6ATF.

The method you described is a shorter DA pull, not a SA one.

BTW, thank you all for the welcome and comments.

Does anyone already have either the Match Trigger or the Variant 9 setup? I'll call and ask Travis about this Combat Competition trigger mentioned after I do some searching for more data.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts