HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got a Zenith Z-5RS in and an SB5 tactical brace. Had to use a mallet to get the end cap off. The SB5 is super tight and when I try to put it on, its taking the finish off my receiver! :O

Is this normal? Is there a better way to fit this. I hit the receiver with some lithium grease. Will probably due more lube for my next attempt but seeing the finish peeled off is not making me happy.

IMG_9974.JPG

IMG_9975.JPG

You can physically see on the top the paint being peeled off. And its not just happening there but in several points all around the receiver.

Here are some pics after I wiped the grease off so you can see better:

IMG_9978.JPG

IMG_9980.JPG

IMG_9981.JPG

IMG_9982.JPG

·
Registered
332 Posts
i have the SB5K on my sp5k and the SBT5 on my z-5rs . both braces and pin/pins go on using my bare hands, no tooling or lube required . the SBT5 uses the B&T brace adapter .

email or call SB Tac for help or tips, filing, sanding, hairdryer, etc.. i would definitely email 1st so you don't void your warranty .

got this off their site under warranty policy,

[email protected]

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just got a Zenith Z-5RS in and an SB5 tactical brace. Had to use a mallet to get the end cap off. The SB5 is super tight and when I try to put it on, its taking the finish off my receiver! :O

Is this normal? Is there a better way to fit this. I hit the receiver with some lithium grease. Will probably due more lube for my next attempt but seeing the finish peeled off is not making me happy.

View attachment 113058

View attachment 113066

You can physically see on the top the paint being peeled off. And its not just happening there but in several points all around the receiver.

Here are some pics after I wiped the grease off so you can see better:

View attachment 113682

View attachment 113690

View attachment 113698

View attachment 113706
The SB5 did the same thing to the finish on my Z5RS and needed light tapping to seat properly. The SBT5 fits better on the same gun.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I don't think mine would even fit with light tapping. I did a whole lot of sanding with my Dremel and still couldn't even get it half way on. The inside of the SB5 endcap looks frankensteinish. Shot 270 rds through the Zenith and it worked awesome! So Idk if my gun is on the large side and the stock on the small or one or the other? But I don't think this thing is going on.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Have you tried using a gun grease? I use lubriplate on the back of my MKE, I have a tight fight too and that seems to help with the scratches.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can buy lubriplate dirt cheap, and the can will last you forever, wipes off really easy, I use it on my collapsible stock too
Thanks for the tip. I've just been lubing it with CLP. I'll have to see if I can find some lubriplate around here. Is it just a high quality grease?

This weekend I spend and hr and a half sanding on the stock, cleaning it, lubing it, and trying it on. The scratches were deepened and the brace still won't hardly go on. I got tips from the seller to try hitting it with a rubber mallet. Says most HK's he's used have been tight. Seems frustrating though to scuff off so much paint. The SB5 really feels like a bad design. You have this perfectly machined hard metal part mating with a piece of folded sheet metal. It doesn't make sense. They should have made the end cap on the SB5 from plastic.
Here's showing how much I sanded off:
IMG_9984.JPG
IMG_9985.JPG
IMG_9986.JPG

And this is how far it would go on with all that sanding without forcing it too much. I can feel it taking the paint off as it goes on.
IMG_9983.JPG IMG_9983.JPG

1 - 10 of 10 Posts