HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping to get a 9mm can and knock the fake suppresor off my bobcat. Will I regret just doing a threaded can and running threaded barrels on my 9mm handgun and Bobcat?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I did that to mine so I could use my YHM QD WRAITH on my M16-9 and on my SW-5. I had the end in front of the 3 lugs threaded 1/2x28. I've been very happy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks I'll have to check it out when I do the SBR. Who did you have thread it and did you take off teh fake suppresor yourself? How?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had M60 Joe thread the end. He has a good pic on his site. I removed the fake can.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would honestly suggest that you use a 3 lug can for the bw5 and get the thread adpt for the pistol. Threaded cans have a way of coming loose after shooting and you'd need to keep an eye on that---no problems with the 3 lug.

·
Registered
46 Posts
As for the comming loose. I use a QD mount flash hider that the can mounts to. When the can is removed you are left with the flash hider so the issue of it becoming loose is a non issue.

·
Registered
18 Posts
As for the comming loose. I use a QD mount flash hider that the can mounts to. When the can is removed you are left with the flash hider so the issue of it becoming loose is a non issue.
Not knocking you but did you read his first post? It didn't ask about using a qd mount. He asked about threading a can directly on to his threaded bw5 and pistol. My comments still stand that a thread on can can come loose and you need to keep an eye on it. I would still buy and use the female 3 lug for the can because until you spend the money to get the barrel threaded, you could have bought the female 3 lug and in my opinion, a 3 lug mount is much better than just thread on.

If he were going to spend the money for a male qd mount, plus threading, why wouldn't he just spend the money to get a female 3 lug mount for the suppressor (since the male end is already on the bw5) and a LID for his pistol? I am confused.

Also, how silly does it look using a qd flash hider with a 3 lug behind it?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't think it looks silly at all. It just has a phantom flashider on it. Silly is the vortec flash hider on a tac. I know I have one as well. I can let it go cheap. Also as it is my dime I did what I wanted to. I have 6 diff weapons I use my QD can on and if I were to use a 3 lug mounted can then it would be only 5. I don't want to get another can when the one I have is fine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don't think it looks silly at all. It just has a phantom flashider on it. Silly is the vortec flash hider on a tac. I know I have one as well. I can let it go cheap. Also as it is my dime I did what I wanted to. I have 6 diff weapons I use my QD can on and if I were to use a 3 lug mounted can then it would be only 5. I don't want to get another can when the one I have is fine.
I agree with you 100%. It is your dime and you should spend it on whatever works for you. However, the only guns he said he wanted to suppress were his bw5 and his pistol. I understand that you were probably just giving him other options but for the 2 that he asked about, it would end up costing him more to thread and buy a qd mount than just using a thread on can or a 3 lug female can mount that would work on his male 3 lug already on the bw5. I shoot my glocks suppressed too so i need a LID mount for them---maybe he doesn't need the LID depending on what pistol he has--so the plain thread on can might work for him. He just needs to keep an eye on it coming loose.

It's great that we have all these options---i'm not trying to be a PIA but for what he asked about, in my opinion, a thread on or 3 lug would be more cost effective overall. Good luck to the OP in whatever direction you choose. Shooting suppressed is a lot of fun and can become addicting. They're like M&M's, you can't have just one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Easy guys I didn't mean to start anything. I'm new to this and just looking at all my options. I am in Iraq right now and getting leave next month, I'm going to order the can and submit all my paper work to buy it in my trust so I should have it waiting once my time here is up. When I get home I'll do the SBR thing. I want the can to be as universal as possible although I was thinking a m9 would be the way to go on the pistol, but I could see an HK USP in the future. Glocks are out, sorry just my preference.

·
Registered
244 Posts
MK19....I think you can find a tutorial here on taking off the fake can...someone confirm please.

Also, I have a threaded 3 lug on my SP89 and to date have only used the 3 lug to attatch my SWR Trident. The Trident is awesome because it allows you the versatility of buying the attatchments you need (i.e. 3 lug, threaded or LCD) instead of the rifle dictating what suppressor you should buy. I bought the 3 lug attatchment and LCD device with my SWR. The 3 lug locks up tight and is quick to put on and take off.

I have yet to use the LCD device as I have not decided what pistol to host. If your BW already has a 3 lug, I would'nt even bother with threading it. If you want to use it on another platform, buy the attatchment from SWR that works for that platform i.e. the threaded 1/2x28 or the LCD (booster) device.

If you do decide to get it threaded, AWC is local in Arizona and does good work from what I hear. Good luck.....keep your head down and stay safe.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
rollin hot your so f*#@ing squared away. whats that 3 lug adapter for the pistol run? the HK 9mm pistol is a USP tac right? that has the barrel already threaded? How does that adapater work when it comes to striping the weapon? Does it have a set screw or something theres gotta be something or wouldn't it come off as easily as a threaded can?

·
Registered
244 Posts
The 3 lug attatchment runs "about" $125 on top of the $595 SWR can. You would not need the 3 lug for the pistol, only your BW. If you use the can for a pistol, you would have to by the threaded attatchment for "about" $60. Also, since you don't like Glocks you won't have to worry about the LCD device. So, for about $185 you get two different ways to attatch the can to two different types of weapons. Call a reputable person to thread the barrel 1/2x28 and see what they would charge to thread your BW, I bet you would be half way there. The module attatches to the weapon...the can attatches to the module. It is as easy as twisting off the can and/or the atatchment when you want too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts