HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do SBR markings have any impact on the value of the host gun?

My MP5 sear gun just arrived at my dealers. I will be divorcing the sear from the host (a T.Dyer 94 conversion) and SBRing the host.

I'm debating whether to have my dealer SBR the host on a Form 2 or just do it myself on a Form 1 after the transfer is complete.

The only practical difference will be whose name is engraved on the gun.

Does it matter whether my dealer's shop name or my corp/llc name ends up on the gun? My dealer is not a big recognized name, just a local low-profile 07/02.

Thanks for your opinions.

·
Registered
329 Posts
In my opinion an SBR is an SBR and if I were to purchase one already registered then i'd realize that whoever did the registration needed to mark it. I'd be much more concerned as to how the conversion was done. Now if a buyer asks that and you say "yourself" versus a "gunsmith" than you might expect to dock a few bucks off the price if you look like you cut the barrel down with a band saw.

Now if you bought an after market barrel and pinned it in correctly I don't see why you'd have any issues as long as the barrel is up to spec.

·
Registered
303 Posts
IMHO

It would not bother me at all but then again I use my weapons and they get wear and tear. If you get one of these guys who put the gun on a altar, light a bunch of candles, get naked, rub oil all over themselves, .....well you get the picture. These types of guys would rather test the ATF regs then "deface" their beloved HK.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would it matter if I told you my corp name was "Marui Airsoft LLC"?

:)

Thanks for the input. I'm leaning toward the Form 1 option. It should put the gun in my hand sooner anyway.

Is there a preferred place to mark the receiver?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Do it where I had mine done.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do it where I had mine done.
Are you talking about where on the receiver your info was engraved, or where you took it to get it engraved?

I can't remember where yours is marked. But I think I know who did it, and I'll probably have mine done by the same guy (considering he has the gun).

·
Premium Member
8,632 Posts
Do SBR markings have any impact on the value of the host gun?

My MP5 sear gun just arrived at my dealers. I will be divorcing the sear from the host (a T.Dyer 94 conversion) and SBRing the host.

I'm debating whether to have my dealer SBR the host on a Form 2 or just do it myself on a Form 1 after the transfer is complete.

The only practical difference will be whose name is engraved on the gun.

Does it matter whether my dealer's shop name or my corp/llc name ends up on the gun? My dealer is not a big recognized name, just a local low-profile 07/02.

Thanks for your opinions.
Just to be sure - you do realize that you can divorce the sear from the host and not SBR it at all, right?

But as to your question - it wouldn't matter to me if one unknown person's name (yours) was on it versus some other unknown person's name (your dealer). Maybe if it was being by somebody well known (IGF, RDTS, TSC, Urbach, etc.) it might give a later prospective buyer warm and fuzzy feelings, but otherwise I really don't think it will make a difference. I'm as picky as they come, but as far as I'm concerned, engraving is engraving. Where and how its engraved would make a difference to me, but not what is engraved.

Now, where did I put that oil and those candles? :)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just to be sure - you do realize that you can divorce the sear from the host and not SBR it at all, right?
Please elaborate. As I understand it, the host gun began life as a semi-auto rifle with a 16" or greater barrel. The barrel length was changed to sub-16" and a registered auto sear installed, making the gun a machine gun and no longer subject to barrel length limitations. If the sear is removed from the host gun, however, the host gun is no longer a machine gun -- and since it began life as a title 1 rifle and now has a short barrel it would become an illegal SBR unless registered as an SBR.

Is that not correct?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Please elaborate. As I understand it, the host gun began life as a semi-auto rifle with a 16" or greater barrel. The barrel length was changed to sub-16" and a registered auto sear installed, making the gun a machine gun and no longer subject to barrel length limitations. If the sear is removed from the host gun, however, the host gun is no longer a machine gun -- and since it began life as a title 1 rifle and now has a short barrel it would become an illegal SBR unless registered as an SBR.

Is that not correct?
You can send it to someone like Jayson Cotter and he can either install a welded and pinned fake suppressor bringing the overall length of the barrel to 16 inches or install a 16 inch barrel.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can send it to someone like Jayson Cotter and he can either install a welded and pinned fake suppressor bringing the overall length of the barrel to 16 inches or install a 16 inch barrel.
True, but that wasn't a path I was considering.

I intend to leave the barrel length as is. I want to be able to swap the sear between this and other guns, and use the MP5 in semi mode when the sear isn't in it.

I currently have a G3 clone built on a JLD receiver, and will probably pick up at least one more host in the coming year. The sear is registered in 3 calibers, so it will function as a migrating happy switch.

·
Premium Member
8,632 Posts

Is that not correct?
Ok, then yes, that's correct. If you want to shoot it with a semi-pack on it, then yes, you will need to SBR it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts