HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a SW5 with fake suppresor that was purchased in 2000. I am wanting to SBR it. Once I get Form 1 approved and returned to me how hard it is to remove the fake suppressor? Do all I need is a Dremel tool to grind down the weld? What about the pin, do I grind it down or do I need to drill it out? Do I pull the fake suppresor straight off or twist?

Sorry for all the questions but I just don't want to pay the $200 tax and then not be able to do it myself. It appears the the weld is right over the bottom lug.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I have a SW5 with fake suppresor that was purchased in 2000. I am wanting to SBR it. Once I get Form 1 approved and returned to me how hard it is to remove the fake suppressor? Do all I need is a Dremel tool to grind down the weld? What about the pin, do I grind it down or do I need to drill it out? Do I pull the fake suppresor straight off or twist?

Sorry for all the questions but I just don't want to pay the $200 tax and then not be able to do it myself. It appears the the weld is right over the bottom lug.

Thanks!
All you need to do AFTER your Form 1 is approved is take about 5 minutes to grind off the weld with a Dremmel. Once the weld is ground off the pin falls out and then the FS pulls straight off. You may need to twist it because the fit is tight but there are no channels in the FS for the lugs to engage. There will be a hole in the lug but you can fill that with Brownells Steel bed, sand smooth, and refinish with Brownells Aluma-Hyde II, matte black. You will need to refinish the barrel under the fake suppressor anyway so if the hole bothers you, fill it, smooth it, and re-paint it. Let the AH II dry for one week before using and it will look very flat but once dry wipe it down with CLP and the color will match perfectly.
It took me 6 months to get my Form 1 approved and less than 5 minutes to convert it to the SBR. Get the proper engraving (name, city, and state) done while waiting for your Form 1 to come back, then you can take off the FS and start having fun.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Big Bore, Thanks! Your experience sounds like it went smooth.

Anyone have trouble with their suppressor removal? Pin not coming out, etc.?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a friend who has a fixture, which turns the entire bbled action without removing the bbl or grinding with dremels. It's the cleanest way I've ever seen of doing stuff like threading 94 bbls which have been cut down, lathing down fake cans, making 93s into 33K clones etc...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts