HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally received confirmation from ATF. Bold, italics and underlines are my emphasis.

Here's what they say on the subject:

Date: August 12, 2016 at 7:18:33 AM EDT
To: [email protected]
Subject: Short Barrel Rifle

You are correct in that either configuration results in an NFA firearm. To be able to make either, you would need to apply on Form 1 for permission to make and register the firearm. If you receive permission to make the SBR first, you can also add the foregrip without changing the firearm's status as an SBR. You could use the firearm without the shoulder stock as you ask as long as you maintain the stock in your possession as you would then continue to have the parts necessary for an SBR. If you apply to make the AOW configuration first and then, at a later time, you want to add a shoulder stock, you would then have to file another form 1 to make and register the SBR.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2016 3:16 PM
To: Alston-Williams, Lee <[email protected]>
Subject: Short Barrel Rifle

I just purchased a pistol on which I would like to install a foregrip. I understand the NFA covers that as an AOW. I would like to occasionally install a stock as well. That falls under NFA SBR.

If I file my form 1 as an SBR, am I allowed to remove the stock and use the SBR without the stock and with only the foregrip?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards,
Rxx Mxxxxxx
nnn-nnn-nnnn

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I replied back to him with this question: His reply is pending...

So, if I register as an SBR, received my tax stamp and all I do is add a vertical foregrip, does 922r apply? Or does it not apply until I add the stock?

·
Vendor
2,037 Posts
i always figured that mg trumped sbr and sbr trumped aow....but i was slightly in error with that line of thought it seems.
so if you have an sbr'd pistol...and want to shoot it without the stock but with a foregrip...you need to also have the stock in your possession. that make sit seem as if the stock itself is the registered component when we all know its in fact the receiver (where the engravings are typically located). why would it matter if you had THE stock....any ole stock that would fit the gun i guess. If one already has approved sbr status for their firearm then why in the world would it make a difference whether or not a stock was actually on the gun??????

Kinda weird in only a way that the unholy marriage of firearms and atf regulations produces...

geeez.

interesting though. thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gary's statement, "you can also add the foregrip without changing the firearm's status as an SBR", is interesting to me. As written, it would seem that even though the pistol is now registered as an SBR, it is not an SBR status when the stock is not installed.

With that line of thinking, the firearm's status goes from SBR and back to pistol just by removing or installing the stock.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
...you need to also have the stock in your possession...
I don't think that you have to have it on your person. I think that means that you have to maintain ownership of the stock so that you can restore the weapon to an SBR.

Although that's my interpretation, which isn't worth a hill of beans.

·
Vendor
2,037 Posts
^^^isnt that weird as crap though???? you'd have to keep a dang stock around (either around the gun when vert grip is on it...or just in your ownership) when the firearm is the registered item ???????? Crazy. Crazy. About like not shouldering a brace. ATF spaghetti.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This also means that you could register as an SBR and slowly add U.S. Parts, starting with the VFG, thereby allowing you to still use the gun, because it wouldn't be an SBR until the stock is added and you'd do that last.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts