HKPRO Forums banner

SCAR 16s vs MR556 questions not covered

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Wolvee 
#1 ·
I've been reading through the couple SCAR16 vs. MR556 threads and I've found some useful information but now that the 556 has been out a awhile, I'm wondering your opinions.

Since the MR556 doesn't have M4 feed ramps am I to assume that HK doesn't feel they are necessary or that there is some other modification to their design to not make them necessary? I imagine since it's brother the 416 is taking the place of the Marines "auto pea shooter" S.A.W. that it would function flawlessly under higher stress than I would ever put the 556 through. Which would be everything from basic to advance carbine classes. ..I am assuming that the 416 and 556 are close enough of a product that function and parts would be nearly identical.

As for the lack of a chrome lined barrel, how would the barrel hold up against a 1500 to 2000 round tactical carbine class? ..as compared to the SCAR or reference standard BCM.

Although it may sound like blasphemy to hardcore HK purists but has anyone lightened it by taking down the barrel profile, fluting or shortened it down to 14.5 with a pinned MB?

My last question is to explain the Dioptic rear sight. There is a tool that is needed in order to BZO or make micro adjustments? Why wouldn't a $2600 gun come with a $85 tool? I am also assuming the sights can be changed out to fit standard US M4 picatinny rail sights?

I'm sorry to beat you guys up with a million questions.

Wolvee

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Wolvee, most if not all of your answers can be found in the 416 sub-forum.

You can make adjustments to the rear sight with needle-nose pliers and a standard phillips head screw driver if you are so inclined, but I recommend the tool.

As for the SCAR 16, I hear the same thing over and over from end users is that it doesn't offer much over the AR, so why bother? In that in the end, the only thing it really has on an AR is the quick-change barrel and the side-folding stock. The stock has been known to crack, and alternate barrel lengths aren't sold to civilians, so there ya go.

#5 ·
OK, the feed ramp question is here and I'm satisfied with the positive answer.

Still searching for the other stuff. Since the thread was already created I'm going to periodically updating as I finds answers. If anything it could be another reference point in the database.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.