HKPRO Forums banner

SD Suppressor Advice

5122 44
I snapped up one of the new Omega SD barreled receivers from Atlantic as soon as they were in stock.

Now, that leaves me with a conundrum, what SD suppressor do I buy? I've been vapor locked for most of today between these 3 options:

1. RCM
2. TPM
3. RDTS HE (assuming they will make one with standard 18x1 threading and it will actually fit the Omega upper)

I've heard good things about all of them. I've got a call into RDTS and message out to RCM about availability of their cans. TPM shows in stock, but their e-commerce site is jacked up, so I don't know if that's accurate.

I'm looking for two things here, ruggedness/usability (ease of maintenance or lack of need of maintenance) and quiet (duh). I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of the quiet to get a more rugged and easy to take care of can.

So, what say you, HKPro SD owning peoples? I've read a bunch of older threads, but they don't quite have a lot of indepth info, other than saying all 3 are GtG, which is nice, but doesn't help me choose between them.

TPM and RDTS both claim their cans are ultra-quiet. TPM seems to have weight as their claim to fame and RDTS seems to have ruggedness as theirs (though whether that also requires their proprietary ported barrels, versus the standard HK one is something I haven't found the answer to). RCM seems to be relatively highly lauded, but I haven't really seen any claims to make them stand out (which isn't to say they don't, just I haven't read much info about them and the RCM website just has pictures with no info).

I've already got an old school Coharie SD can to go with my Coharie SD (still waiting on stamps). The only thing I know about that is that it is heavy enough to use to club baby seals. My 07/02 shot it (with my permission of course) when I wasn't there and he said he wasn't really impressed by how it sounded. But, I still haven't heard it myself. I've also got a faux can that was made by Coharie/SW for it as well. Whether either will fit on my new Omega isn't very clear, since I've heard several things about the Coharie SDs with some stating that they weren't in spec and other saying that at least some of them were.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Isn't that a oxymoron when it comes to the SD? I have a TPM but I think with any of the 3 above you should be GTG looks like RCM is running a special.................
I know the SD is a dirty little beastie, but if the can is easier to maintain (or sealed) that removes one part of the cleaning chore.

How does your TPM sound?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I know you didn't list weight as a primary concern but... When my TPM SD suppressor came in, my SOT commented on how he felt it was noticeably lighter than his RDTS SD suppressor.

He did speak very highly of his RDTS SD can, I think his was a "high efficiency" model maybe? He was also using his on a factory HK SD.

Also, aren't there some compatibility things you need to worry about on the RDTS cans on Omega or SW made guns? Or is that simply a matter of how RDTS sets up each individual SD can?

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
If I recall correctly, RCM is an aluminum version of the SW/Coharie can, and RCM was replacing SW/Coharie internals for a fee. I got my RCM can years ago for $375-400, I have no complaints. Its on a clone, not a factory gun. Its quiet. Other than bragging rights, I don't know what could be done to improve the RCM version? Doesnt bother me about the baffles, its quiet and light.

·
Premium Member
1,506 Posts
Beowulf

You might find this thread from the past of interest as in speaks to the weight of the various cans. Somewhere along the way someone mentions that the RDTS cans weigh in
at two pounds. Something to keep in mind when you are making your decision. Plus while the RDTS HE cans can be made to be taken apart they are generally not set up that way.
I was reading some comments on their website and apparently out of all the ones they have made only 4 were made to be taken apart for cleaning. They apparently do not offer the
same level of suppression when set up to be taken apart.

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-nfa-talk/143807-weights-few-mp5sd-type-suppressors-3.html

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
About RCM suppressor, can you take it apart for a cleaning?
How about the thread end? Is it made out of steel or perhaps titinum?

If I recall correctly, RCM is an aluminum version of the SW/Coharie can, and RCM was replacing SW/Coharie internals for a fee. I got my RCM can years ago for $375-400, I have no complaints. Its on a clone, not a factory gun. Its quiet. Other than bragging rights, I don't know what could be done to improve the RCM version? Doesnt bother me about the baffles, its quiet and light.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
I got an RCM and am super happy. As for the taking apart, it does has the 2 holes but I still have to figure out how exactly to take it apart. Tried a level 8 force, didn't come open. That force scale is my own. I can make up my own scales if I want to.

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
I went with a TPM. Still waiting for it to get out of NFA jail. The dealer I'm using has a sear pack and said I could bring my SD over and try it out in full auto. When I do I will give a range report. I thought about buying one of the RCM cans also just to have an extra.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Sorry but I don't have any experience with the TPM SD can. I have an original Coharie Arms SD that came with a Coharie Arms SD can. It is my understanding that RCM made parts, including SD cans for Todd. That is what got RCM into making roller locked parts in the first place. RCM and Todd had a "parting of the ways". RCM has continued to make parts. The CA SD can I have originally came with stainless steel thread mount, internals registered tube and baffles. The end cap was carbon steel. I believe red Loctite is used to hold the end caps on the cans. If you want to remove the end cap to clean the internals, the end cap must be heated over 800 degrees. But be careful, there is a spring steel washer to keep the baffles tight. To much heat would remove the temper of the spring steel. RCM uses the same design as the CA can. Internal dimensions of both cans is the same, but the RCM can is anodized aluminum. My limited understanding is that RCM cans have had some fitment issues as the registered tube is aluminum with the same inside diameter as the steel CA can, but the OD of the registered aluminum tube is larger.

At first with the all steel CA SD can I thought the SD was very inaccurate breaking it in shooting off hand. Then I bench rested the gun and it was very accurate. The steel SD can was over two pounds. I had RCM "upgrade" my CA can with anodized aluminum internals. That shaved over 1 1/2 pound of weight off the can. I did keep one of the SS baffles to be a "blast" baffle. It seemed to me that the tone of the can was a little deeper with the SS internals than the aluminum internals, but it is so much more pleasant to shoot in the lighter aluminum configuration.

It is also my understanding that Ralph's HE SD spreads the ports over a bigger area of the barrel than the factory design, so the gas is released more slowly into the back of the can with Ralph's design. I'm very happy with my CA SD can with the RCM "upgrade". I like that I have a SS registered tube instead of aluminum. My understanding is the latest Omega design SD can uses aluminum internals. I don't know whether those internals are anodized like the RCM.

My question is, if you already have a CA can in transfer, why not get that can and shoot it to see how you like it? My original CA SS/carbon steel SD can could probably handle rifle caliber rounds with its construction, but it was so heavy. So if durability is your top priority, I'd think you can't get any more durable than the CA can with SS internals you have in transfer. If it is two heavy, then send it to Mike at RCM and have the anodized aluminum "upgrade" done for $325.00. But I would see how you like it. It is cool having multiple SDs (I have three 9mm and two .40 S&Ws) but I only have one 9mm SD can. I don't think I need more as I only shoot one gun at a time. Good luck with your SD can project.

Scott

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry but I don't have any experience with the TPM SD can. I have an original Coharie Arms SD that came with a Coharie Arms SD can. It is my understanding that RCM made parts, including SD cans for Todd. That is what got RCM into making roller locked parts in the first place. RCM and Todd had a "parting of the ways". RCM has continued to make parts. The CA SD can I have originally came with stainless steel thread mount, internals registered tube and baffles. The end cap was carbon steel. I believe red Loctite is used to hold the end caps on the cans. If you want to remove the end cap to clean the internals, the end cap must be heated over 800 degrees. But be careful, there is a spring steel washer to keep the baffles tight. To much heat would remove the temper of the spring steel. RCM uses the same design as the CA can. Internal dimensions of both cans is the same, but the RCM can is anodized aluminum. My limited understanding is that RCM cans have had some fitment issues as the registered tube is aluminum with the same inside diameter as the steel CA can, but the OD of the registered aluminum tube is larger.

At first with the all steel CA SD can I thought the SD was very inaccurate breaking it in shooting off hand. Then I bench rested the gun and it was very accurate. The steel SD can was over two pounds. I had RCM "upgrade" my CA can with anodized aluminum internals. That shaved over 1 1/2 pound of weight off the can. I did keep one of the SS baffles to be a "blast" baffle. It seemed to me that the tone of the can was a little deeper with the SS internals than the aluminum internals, but it is so much more pleasant to shoot in the lighter aluminum configuration.

It is also my understanding that Ralph's HE SD spreads the ports over a bigger area of the barrel than the factory design, so the gas is released more slowly into the back of the can with Ralph's design. I'm very happy with my CA SD can with the RCM "upgrade". I like that I have a SS registered tube instead of aluminum. My understanding is the latest Omega design SD can uses aluminum internals. I don't know whether those internals are anodized like the RCM.

My question is, if you already have a CA can in transfer, why not get that can and shoot it to see how you like it? My original CA SS/carbon steel SD can could probably handle rifle caliber rounds with its construction, but it was so heavy. So if durability is your top priority, I'd think you can't get any more durable than the CA can with SS internals you have in transfer. If it is two heavy, then send it to Mike at RCM and have the anodized aluminum "upgrade" done for $325.00. But I would see how you like it. It is cool having multiple SDs (I have three 9mm and two .40 S&Ws) but I only have one 9mm SD can. I don't think I need more as I only shoot one gun at a time. Good luck with your SD can project.

Scott
You make a lot of sense there. Given how long wait times are, putting off a purchase for a bit longer won't make that much difference. I guess the big test will be if my Coharie SD can will fit on my new Omega SD gun (it should... maybe). If it does, it might make sense to have RCM update my existing can and go from there.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
It is cool having multiple SDs (I have three 9mm and two .40 S&Ws) but I only have one 9mm SD can. I don't think I need more as I only shoot one gun at a time.
I had considered getting either the B&T or KAC SD can... but the RCM can for $400 I paid, works so well, and it's not a real German HK build, why spend any more than I need to? Quiet enough to keep me happy, thats all I care about.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
I traded a while back for a new Unfired KAC SD can so I did not need to get in on the KAC group buy unless they made the .40 cal can (which they ultimately did not), I also have a B&T SD suppressor that I bought during that group buy, and both cans are in process so most likely not going to see those for long while yet due to 41p and the spike in volume that it caused.

So for now I have to use my RDTS can on both of my SDs for now. Its a weighty beast of a can but it works really well. I am anxious to see how well my other SD cans stack up against it in both the weight department and sound suppression. I did have plans to add both RCM and TPM cans to the mix but decided that I want to spend that dough on other things for now like very special non-HK rifle from another member here. :wink:

·
Premium Member
1,506 Posts
I traded a while back for a new Unfired KAC SD can so I did not need to get in on the KAC group buy unless they made the .40 cal can (which they ultimately did not), I also have a B&T SD suppressor that I bought during that group buy, and both cans are in process so most likely not going to see those for long while yet due to 41p and the spike in volume that it caused.
Great minds must think alike. I have a B&T SD coming and already have a KAC Navy-SD but ordered another one in James' group buy. I have a .40 SD can on my MP5/40 SD. It started off life as
a S&H Arms 9mm SD can, but, I filed a form 1 and had its baffles bored out a little bit to ensure that I would not have any stikes. The 40SD is built on an Hk 94. The shroud was one made by
S&H Arms. The barrel is ported just like the 9mm ones although the 180 gr 40 ammo is usually subsonic to begin with. I put my sear in it and full auto its a fun weapon to shoot. Can't wait to compare the two to see if what one of the members here told me is true. He felt that the 180 gr 40SD was more quite than the 9mm SD.

Chuck

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I have the RCM on my SD clone. It is very quite. So much that it is hard to hear from 25 yrds away. Mostly you just hear the bolt slamming home. There is a video of it here some where. I think Tony may have it marked. (AGG)

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Great minds must think alike. I have a B&T SD coming and already have a KAC Navy-SD but ordered another one in James' group buy. I have a .40 SD can on my MP5/40 SD. It started off life as
a S&H Arms 9mm SD can, but, I filed a form 1 and had its baffles bored out a little bit to ensure that I would not have any stikes. The 40SD is built on an Hk 94. The shroud was one made by
S&H Arms. The barrel is ported just like the 9mm ones although the 180 gr 40 ammo is usually subsonic to begin with. I put my sear in it and full auto its a fun weapon to shoot. Can't wait to compare the two to see if what one of the members here told me is true. He felt that the 180 gr 40SD was more quite than the 9mm SD.

Chuck
That 40 SD sounds like a very cool gun....hmmm maybe time for another SD

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Can't wait to compare the two to see if what one of the members here told me is true. He felt that the 180 gr 40SD was more quite than the 9mm SD.
Seems plausible to me. 158gr Fiocchi subsonics in the SD are crazy-quiet. But for some reason I always feel guilty shooting them, like I am doing something I know I shouldnt.

I would like to hear from members of Mike's B&T buy and James' KAC buy. Always wonder if the B&T or KAC offerings are THAT MUCH better than my simple RCM can. But I sorta feel like "If it aint broke, don't fix it" as well.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.