HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all-I recently purchased an older JLD model PTR-91. I contacted PTR to get some info on my gun & they told me they do not know much about it because when JLD went out of business all of their records were lost/MIA?? (my terms). They did tell me that it was made sometime between 2003-2005 & that the older models contained some original HK parts! The charging handle is a raw metal Color & rest of gun is all black. When I get more familiar w/site I'll put up a pic.
Does anyone know anything else about it worth mentioning? The SN is _1175 (cant recall letter in front-think it's an N). Thanks to all who reply!!

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
Does anyone know anything else about it worth mentioning? The SN is _1175 (cant recall letter in front-think it's an N). Thanks to all who reply!!
The SN should start with an "A" for a JLD made gun.

All but the very first 100-200 JLD guns are among the VERY best of the clones. I would dare say about as close to a German built HK-91 as you can get from a large builder of US assembled guns.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have a JLD PTR91 that I purchased new from Atlantic Firearms in March 2005. It is SN A13xx. At the time of manufacture, the seven U.S. made parts were hammer, sear, barrel, trunnion, receiver, pistol grip, and stock. The hammer and sear were marked SW. The other parts were of JLD manufacture. The stock was one of the early cheap ones that was not very sturdy and I eventually replaced it with a military surplus one. The pistol grip housing (had the last three digits of some rifle sn "X"ed out), trigger, flash hider, bolt and bolt carrier were military surplus. The bolt and carrier were HK; the carrier is one of those with the tungsten inserts. The military surplus flash hider had been drilled out and pressed onto the unthreaded muzzle of the barrel. It was then drilled, pinned and spot-welded. I still have this rifle although the trigger, sear, and hammer were later changed out to JLD manufactured ones. It is set up in a sniper configuration, with an HK recoil pad, a Harris bipod, Cherokee stock cheek riser, Bill Springfield trigger job, and Henzoldt Z24 scope and mount. Based on my experience, you have a great rifle to work with. Congratulations.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
they told me they do not know much about it because when JLD went out of business all of their records were lost/MIA??
JLD did not go out of business. They took on an investor [Mr. Weed] who changed the company name. They don't want to talk about the JLD guns because they are far superior to anything PTR builds today. Remember, all the problems started after Mr. Weed joined the company, & the name changed to PTR 91 Inc. GARY N4KVE

·
Registered
370 Posts
Mr. Weed sure helped them screw up the flutes/barrels as well as other things, didn't he N4KVE? Only took 2-3 years to SEMI-ADMIT anything was amiss.
All mine now have GERMAN or CONTRACT parts where legal!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm a little late on the reply but THANKS ALOT GUYS!! That was interesting/helpful/informative! I'm going to print off & keep this info to look back on. BTW, yes the SN does start with an "A"

·
Registered
122 Posts

All but the very first 100-200 JLD guns are among the VERY best of the clones. I would dare say about as close to a German built HK-91 as you can get from a large builder of US assembled guns.
Any idea what the SN's started with on the JLD's? I am curious about a rifle who's SN is A11**. From this sn can you tell if it was one of the first 200?

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
Any idea what the SN's started with on the JLD's? I am curious about a rifle who's SN is A11**. From this sn can you tell if it was one of the first 200?
as far as I know A0001 was the first gun. A SN of A11xx should be WELL past the early problem guns.

·
Registered
122 Posts
as far as I know A0001 was the first gun. A SN of A11xx should be WELL past the early problem guns.
Thats what I would think as well but wanted to ask the question before I take the leap...so one "should" purchase a JLD before the current model PTR91s? Thanks for the info...

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
...so one "should" purchase a JLD before the current model PTR91s? Thanks for the info...
Run, do not walk, and buy it.

The JLD guns are known to be good-to-go. The number of 'bumps' in the road on recent PTR made guns, 'tight chambers', bad barrel pins, some less than stellar customer service, etc.. makes me a bit hesitant to buy from them right now. I'd really like to see a bit more time with NO production problems before I send my money to them.

IMO the quality ranking of the G3/clones

German HK
Springfield Armory SAR3/SAR8
JLD clones
PTR 91 clones (before about 2009, or after mid 2011)

·
Registered
139 Posts

I recently picked up a used JLD with serial A023X. It has a 10 flute barrel and came with a HK carrier and bolt. Haven't shot it much but seems ok. I've read about the problems with the very early rifles and I'm watching the bolt gap closely - .008" now.

·
Registered
217 Posts
jdonovon wrote:
IMO the quality ranking of the G3/clones

German HK
Springfield Armory SAR3/SAR8
JLD clones
PTR 91 clones (before about 2009, or after mid 2011)
Where would you put the Portaguese FMP G3S Version ?
I was under the impression, that they were very favorable rifles to have. Am I wrong?

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
The FMP are as good as SAR3/8 ones.... very nice to find and don't command near the price of German guns, but are just about as good.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I purchased a PTR KPF a couple months back. Its serial number starts AW68. Seems to fire what ever I have put through it so far.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I saw in another thread you had buffer issues. What other kind of problems are you having?
Most problems solved now. I had to hit the plastic mount loose. It is the mount you would utilize if you used the rear screw for the buffer. It stays inside the stock.
So the buffer is only being held in place by the two front screws. Which I anticipate will be more than enough holding power. Hopefully no more issues arise.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Ok so as not to start a new thread on a resent topic ill post my questions here. OP hope you dont mind.

Today i saw a JLD PTR91 for sale at a semi local gun store. It comes with a teleacoping stock, some odd handguard that also acts/looks like a barrel shroud and one mag for just under $700. My problem is that while i know what it is i dont know what to check or look for. The S# is A5xxx. Thoughts? Opinions? Any advice is welcome.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Ok so as not to start a new thread on a resent topic ill post my questions here. OP hope you dont mind.

Today i saw a JLD PTR91 for sale at a semi local gun store. It comes with a teleacoping stock, some odd handguard that also acts/looks like a barrel shroud and one mag for just under $700. My problem is that while i know what it is i dont know what to check or look for. The S# is A5xxx. Thoughts? Opinions? Any advice is welcome.
check the bolt gap:
http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-clone-talk/57672-how-measure-bolt-gap-ptr-91-a.html

if it's in spec (.004 - .020") then buy it. you can check inside the chamber, that should be one of the later JLD's with the 12 flute barrel.

you can always replace the handguard and get a different stock if you choose. Mags are widely available and dirt cheap. sounds like a good buy.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts