HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this used SEF housing and was curious if this gap is normal? It looks like one of the "ears" are bowing inwards due to the pin. Installing and removing the pin requires hammer and punch on this Zenith.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Is there any ill effect? I see it but it looks very slight.

I would mic the ID off, and the on the gun to see if it's just an optical illusion.

·
HK Shooting Team
2,786 Posts
looks fine...just milled a bit too deep towards trigger guard.....be sure it fits on shelf and doesn't have wobble

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Hammer and punch is not normal, as you know. There most likely is some misalignment of the holes in the housing and the pin hole in the receiver. The bent ear could be part of the problem or a symptom of the problem, you'll have to figure out which.
If the holes are out of alignment forcing them together could be causing the ear to bend. If the pin goes through one ear and the receiver but binds on the second ear you'll have to figure out exactly where the issue is to fix it.
I'm going to take a SWAG and say the pin hole in the receiver could be slightly crooked, causing the pin to bind on the ears. Confirm by installing the pin through the ears with the housing off of the receiver. With an ear bent like that the ID of the hole as presented to the pin is actually choked off, made smaller. This could be the binding problem. If the pin goes through the ears just fine then the hole in the receiver is likely the culprit. The easiest way to correct is to run is drill through the receiver and ears to align the holes better.

The gap is excessive but I believe harmless.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hammer and punch is not normal, as you know. There most likely is some misalignment of the holes in the housing and the pin hole in the receiver. The bent ear could be part of the problem or a symptom of the problem, you'll have to figure out which.
If the holes are out of alignment forcing them together could be causing the ear to bend. If the pin goes through one ear and the receiver but binds on the second ear you'll have to figure out exactly where the issue is to fix it.
I'm going to take a SWAG and say the pin hole in the receiver could be slightly crooked, causing the pin to bind on the ears. Confirm by installing the pin through the ears with the housing off of the receiver. With an ear bent like that the ID of the hole as presented to the pin is actually choked off, made smaller. This could be the binding problem. If the pin goes through the ears just fine then the hole in the receiver is likely the culprit. The easiest way to correct is to run is drill through the receiver and ears to align the holes better.

The gap is excessive but I believe harmless.
Thanks for pointing out the possibility of the receiver being crooked. I just checked without the housing and it's clear that it isn't aligned and is indeed the receiver that is out of spec. This is a brand new Zenith so I think I'll contact them to fix it rather than busting out the drill.

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,213 Posts
You have a clipped housing for use on HK-style semi-shelf receivers that do not use a pin. That large gap was milled out to fit around the shelf.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
^^^ What Joe said.

And looking at your picture again it looks as if the paddle is slightly canted which indicates you are right, the pin hole is crooked.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you gentlemen, this is my first MP5 style and no amount of research can help until it's actually in your hands and closely inspect everything. Crossing my fingers that Zenith will correct it and I won't have to pay out of pocket for repair.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts