HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The only modern semi auto .45 that seems good to me is the HK USP 45. My friend has one and I have shot several hundred rounds through it. It's accurate, reliable, and feels pretty decent in the hand. (Much better than that brick of a Glock 21!) It's the only .45 that fits my requirements. I'm not interested in the HK45.

That said, the USP just doesn't appeal to me that much. I know it's a great pistol, and you shouldn't judge a pistol by it's looks, but I am having a hard time seeing it as anything more than just another polymer framed semi auto. I like my guns to be a little special.

I really, REALLY want to like the USP. Can anyone sell me on it?

·
Registered
419 Posts
It's accurate, reliable, and feels pretty decent in the hand.
It sounds like you've answered your own question. What more does a gun need to be? I LOVE my USP. In fact, I liked it so much that when I sold my first one, I got another one, just in the "Tactical" flavor. I know that when I need it, it'll fire. I can rely on it to work when I need to, every time I need it to. I, personally, think the USP looks great. It has a mean, combat look to it.

What's the old adage, "I show my 1911 to my friends and my USP to my enemies."

·
Registered
21 Posts
When the USP came out in the early 90's I had no interest. I was into 1911's so heavily that newer designed pistols were never even considered. Plus I thought it was ugly. Now Im 20 years older and so is the USP. I have gotten uglier and it has gotten better looking. What I failed to realize all those years ago was that the USP is an unfailing instrument of self defense. It can be relied upon to go bang every time I pull the trigger with absolute certainty. Period. It doesnt feel quite as good in my hand as and old prewar Colt Government Model or an old German P226 but it is a high cap 45auto with the ability to have any trigger system I desire. Wether it is cocked and locked carry SA style, DA/SA carry, LEM, DAO,etc.

I have a USP9 and USP45 and Im about to buy a second one. Im convinced.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have three. Looking to get another.

·
Registered
589 Posts
It's the first handgun I ever owned, the one I shoot the most, and the one beside the bed. The only gun more overengineered (durable and reliable) might be the MK23. Buy one and convince yourself. If you don't like it, there will be no trouble selling it toward another weapon.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You don't think a USP is special ?

I do think it's special in the sense that it's probably the best self defense .45 on the market in terms of reliability, durability, and accuracy.

I'm of the old school of thought I guess. I find a fine blued steel and walnut gripped 1911 to be the ultimate as far as looks and feel, but good looks aren't what's important in a pistol, unfortunately. I guess I just wish I could have a beautiful .45 that's also dead nuts reliable. Not to say all polymer pistols are ugly, the Mark 23 has that mystic, elite, and slightly heroic look (lol). I even find that the HK P7's looks appeals to me, at least it's all steel, I just wish it were in .45!

So basically I'm just whining. I like my guns to have history, good looks, and reliability and power. But you can't get everything you want I guess :(

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Admiration and appreciation have to come from within the individual. I can tell you what I like, but in the end you will appreciate it or not. I cannot convince you. To me, the USP is meat and potatoes combat equipment. It is not 'bling'. It is not precious. It is not delicate. It is designed to go bang and send a projectile deep into the flesh of anything it is aimed at...over and over and over. They are dark, crisp and reliable defense of innocence and virtue as I see them. If they accumulate carnage and rash in the process, it is a red badge of courage. Other guns share aome of the characteristics of the USP, but only the USP has them all.

Here is one of mine:

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The USP .45 in any configuration is world class...period. Its built like a tank, and goes the long haul, Ripper20, a SWAT Cop, documented 160K+ rounds on his .45 Tactical with no parts breakage in 10 years, then sent it to HK for a 'tune up', they just replaced a few springs and new night sights and sent it back, saying everything was well within factory specs. Its super reliable, extreme accuracy and the softest shooting .45 ever made, holds 12 +1, with many companies making accessories for it. USP makes no excuses, it doesnt have to. It set the world standard for .45 auto loaders that everyone else is still playing catch up 15 years later. USP is in a class by itself along with its younger sibling the HK45. Whats not to love about the USP .45!?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The USP .45 in any configuration is world class...period. Its built like a tank, and goes the long haul, Ripper20, a SWAT Cop, documented 160K+ rounds on his .45 Tactical with no parts breakage in 10 years, then sent it to HK for a 'tune up', they just replaced a few springs and new night sights and sent it back, saying everything was well within factory specs. Its super reliable, extreme accuracy and the softest shooting .45 ever made, holds 12 +1, with many companies making accessories for it. USP makes no excuses, it doesnt have to. It set the world standard for .45 auto loaders that everyone else is still playing catch up 15 years later. USP is in a class by itself along with its younger sibling the HK45. Whats not to love about the USP .45!?

160k rounds? Holy cow! That's pretty impressive! And you make a good case.

·
Registered
904 Posts
USP 45 is a reliable super nice platform, but the Tactical version is just down right SEXY !!!

Its a bit bigger grip, not nearly as ergo as the newer HK 45, but if it fits in your hands - AWESOME....

I got my second USP 45 T on the way, couldn't help myself... Wanted something that I could beat the sh!t out of and keep the Tan in good shape. Now all I need is one in OD Green and my set will be complete :)

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
If you want the best, HK is the way. Reliable and great quality. Tactical advantage budd :wink:

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
I have a number of USP's - this one is my favorite though, sorry its an older picture, now it wears the HK Tactical Adjustable sights/DecalGrips.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I know it sounds like blaspheme, but have you considered the SIG P220? No polymer and you can get an all-stainless Elite model with walnut grips for about the same price as a .45 H&K.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Check. . . and. . . mate!

Well done Kost!

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
.....all the quality control happiness that comes with the current SIG's.
Sarcasm? :confused: I've never had an issue with any of the P2XX all-metal SIGs and I've shot many of them and have owned a P238, P229 and now a P220.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts