HKPRO Forums banner

61 - 80 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
... the material has changed a bit I think, feels even more solid and stronger plastic than used to be....The overall fit feels tighter when fitting the lower onto this which is nice.... There seems to be a few more things modified around where the trunnion is set into the plastic, not absolutely sure on that, but looked a tad bit different...
Mine is definitely tighter - or maybe that's just because it's new. Magazine fitment IS different. I don't know how to explain it adequately, but a PMAG fits rather loosely while a G36 mag is very difficult to insert and remove. On my T36, both inserted easily with the slight AK-rock, remained latched when manipulated (without actually using the mag release) and fell free when unlatched. Now the G36 mag requires a lot of effort both insertion and removal, while the PMAG no longer requires any rocking.

Handguard is also much tighter, but again, that might be newness.

Either way, none of the mag issues are real issues. I shot this stupid pistol today (as a pistol [no brace] this is the dumbest weapon ever) and all magazines worked fine with zero functional issues. Suppressed and suppressed, the TG36 ran great, though I was surprised how much gas comes out the back without a stock on it while suppressed. I didn't put too many rounds through it because ammo.

I filed my replacement Form1 two days ago and was happy to see others already had as well ("TG36" already populated in the eForms model dropdown box).

·
Registered
125 Posts
My mags were extremely tight when I got my original T36. Like I had to lock the bolt back to insert an empty HK mag, but it did get easier over time and a few reload drills. Had to wear down a corner or find a groove, IDK.

I pulled the mag release pin before I shipped to Tom and the spring was wedged in pretty good. Frankly not looking forward to reinstalling it, but maybe the TG model will have more clearance. Anyone got tips on that pin? Just C-clamp it?

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
My mags were extremely tight when I got my original T36. Like I had to lock the bolt back to insert an empty HK mag, but it did get easier over time and a few reload drills. Had to wear down a corner or find a groove, IDK.

I pulled the mag release pin before I shipped to Tom and the spring was wedged in pretty good. Frankly not looking forward to reinstalling it, but maybe the TG model will have more clearance. Anyone got tips on that pin? Just C-clamp it?
Cut a slave pin out of any material. I use a dowel rod. While there is another method of holding the leg of the spring on the ledge with a screwdriver, the slave pin is the only way. Like I cannot stress it enough - use a slave pin and be done in a minute flat.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Tom's letter said stripped bare receiver 🤷‍♂️ but I noticed a lot of people posting pics did not remove that one. I figured receiver is getting destroyed either way, might as well take a look. Best case, TG model ships with a new one and I keep a spare. Worst case, I learned something new and get an excuse to tinker with my toys.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I pulled everything off of my receiver except the barrel. He swapped the barrel into the new one and shipped it back. Took about 3 weeks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Mine is definitely tighter - or maybe that's just because it's new. Magazine fitment IS different. I don't know how to explain it adequately, but a PMAG fits rather loosely while a G36 mag is very difficult to insert and remove. On my T36, both inserted easily with the slight AK-rock, remained latched when manipulated (without actually using the mag release) and fell free when unlatched. Now the G36 mag requires a lot of effort both insertion and removal, while the PMAG no longer requires any rocking.

Handguard is also much tighter, but again, that might be newness.

Either way, none of the mag issues are real issues. I shot this stupid pistol today (as a pistol [no brace] this is the dumbest weapon ever) and all magazines worked fine with zero functional issues. Suppressed and suppressed, the TG36 ran great, though I was surprised how much gas comes out the back without a stock on it while suppressed. I didn't put too many rounds through it because ammo.

I filed my replacement Form1 two days ago and was happy to see others already had as well ("TG36" already populated in the eForms model dropdown box).
Did your Form 1 go to Submitted or did it end up in Pending Research?

I got my receiver yesterday, everything looks great, Tom swapped my original barrel for me and I will end up doing the rest myself.

·
Registered
58 Posts

I wouldn't clamp it. I think you can end up collapsing the spring if you do that. I changed mine out to the style that adds the extended tabs next to the trigger guard some time last year and I found that using a longer smaller diameter punch to align everything made it easier. Get the smaller punch through the release, receiver and spring, then you just need to wiggle things a little while you follow the punch back out with the pin. Don't pull the punch out, stuff will get misaligned...use the axle pin to push the punch back out.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I wouldn't clamp it. I think you can end up collapsing the spring if you do that. I changed mine out to the style that adds the extended tabs next to the trigger guard some time last year and I found that using a longer smaller diameter punch to align everything made it easier. Get the smaller punch through the release, receiver and spring, then you just need to wiggle things a little while you follow the punch back out with the pin. Don't pull the punch out, stuff will get misaligned...use the axle pin to push the punch back out.
So, the downside to this method is when the spring leg slips down below the shelf that same leg will bind (and gouge) against the bottom side of the shelf. It means the through hole of the spring will sit lower than the axis of the centers where thepin needs to align. If the punch is the same diameter as the pin then you still have to compress the spring while hoping the leg doesn’t slip below the ledge. Even if you use a smaller punch, you will find the alignment is not guaranteed cause the spring can get tilted. To avoid that hassle you can use a small flathead screwdriver to hold the leg on the shelf and then compress and insert a punch. But, it is a total pain.

A slave pin will hold the spring were it needs to sit relative to the mag release. Then all that is left to do is compress it higher than it would sit and then slowly pull it downward until you see the holes align. Insert the pin or insert a correctly sized punch and then insert the pin. You will wonder how the process was ever an issue using the slave pin method.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I don't understand what you mean by a slave pin.

I didn't mean using something like a 1/16" diameter punch, I just meant very slightly undersized, but I wasn't clear when I said my method. It also helps if the nose of the punch is round..it's able to align things easier than the flat face of the actual pin. I've noticed that the spring does like to end up below that shelf on the receiver and then you can't align it, not sure why HK designed that spot that way.

·
Registered
49 Posts
You would think if you shipped it USPS Priority it would be one day, don't be fooled. It takes 2-3 days sometimes even longer. Priority service is a SCAM, I've had packages sent FIRST class mail arrive faster that Priority!
Priority is NOT faster than first class. If you talk to the post office, they will explain that the ONLY difference between the two is weight. First Class is up to 13 oz, Priority is over 13 oz. Priority is faster than bulk package rates, but it is not advertised as faster than First Class.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Priority is NOT faster than first class. If you talk to the post office, they will explain that the ONLY difference between the two is weight. First Class is up to 13 oz, Priority is over 13 oz. Priority is faster than bulk package rates, but it is not advertised as faster than First Class.
Isn't that what I was saying?

·
Registered
2,203 Posts

I didn't mean using something like a 1/16" diameter punch, I just meant very slightly undersized, but I wasn't clear when I said my method. It also helps if the nose of the punch is round..it's able to align things easier than the flat face of the actual pin. I've noticed that the spring does like to end up below that shelf on the receiver and then you can't align it, not sure why HK designed that spot that way.
A slave pin is a pin of the same diameter as the actual pin but the slave pin is only as wide as the mag release. I will snap a pic here after a bit.

I have had my fair share of cussing at mag releases to arrive at this method. Bostic told me of the screw driver method but even for production he is using the slave pin method.

·
Registered
58 Posts
That's pretty slick, thanks for showing me what you meant. Long as you have a shorter pin that would make it much easier.

My method isn't so bad either...just a slightly smaller diameter punch so it can wiggle without damaging the plastic, and a rounded end so it finds stuff and aligns it...then push it back out with the axle pin. Takes maybe a minute to install it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
That's pretty slick, thanks for showing me what you meant. Long as you have a shorter pin that would make it much easier.

My method isn't so bad either...just a slightly smaller diameter punch so it can wiggle without damaging the plastic, and a rounded end so it finds stuff and aligns it...then push it back out with the axle pin. Takes maybe a minute to install it.
Cutting a q-tip down to the size you need works surprisingly well too as a quick single-use slave pin.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did your Form 1 go to Submitted or did it end up in Pending Research?

I got my receiver yesterday, everything looks great, Tom swapped my original barrel for me and I will end up doing the rest myself.
eForms outage right now and it's not a Wednesday.... I believe it is "Submitted". I always provide pictures of what I am registering so if they have questions regarding the new receiver, hopefully the answer to that question should already be in front of them. I uploaded pictures of the left and right side markings and the serial plate.

If you have a Geissele trigger for an AR, it came with a slave pin. I used that AND the screwdriver method to get my extended release on it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
After two day nics delay, finally got them home, just done assembling and function checked. Mag fits real easy in mine, like in my SL8. No AK like rocking needed, SL8 never needed that either. I think the geometry of that little shelf/ledge under the trunnion is different. The real G36 and SL8 have no ledge, its flat there under the chamber opening. Original T36 had the ledge that used to catch the mag and thus AK-rock was needed. Now, the ledge is still there but the geometry of the mag opening must have been modified, perhaps by moving the whole thing back a little, so it doesnt seem to catch there anymore. I like it!
I noted the barrel nut was tight into the trunnion/plastic sleeve part, similar to the original T36. This is eased by using the GSG9 barrel nut which is a bit smaller in diameter than the German HK nut, by about 0.1mm. Swapping it out to the GSG9 nut made the barrel installation very easy.

·
Premium Member
1,486 Posts
Got my TG36 today. Looks great. Never actually had a T36 to compare it to. Got my T36 in trade, around the time of all the winter storms. That delayed arrival, and by the time it got here the TG36 story broke. So I just went to my FFL and stripped it all down as best I could by hand, and had them send the receiver to Tom.

Altogether, I'm very happy with it - and its worth the wait. The only thing I don't like is the FES markings/housing. And I have never liked multi-position semi-auto setups. If a third/fourth position doesn't do something, I don't want 'em. I might have to color-fill the markings with special attention to that Tatooine marking. I'm not much of a Star Wars guy, but it is still cool.

I have a G36 2-position semi-auto trigger housing I might convert for this gun. Or maybe I'll pick up one of Tom's AR trigger housings, and drop in a nice AR trigger. Not sure yet. I'm leaning towards the AR trigger just to send Tom a bit more bread.

I have a Spuhr magwell coming Monday that it'll wear, for sure, and a replica M320 in 37mm coming from Tom on Tuesday.

At some point soon, after I get through a move, I'm going to get my G36k out to Tom to pin/weld an extended flash hider so that I can put a stock on it.

Gonna be a lot of G36 fun coming up.

61 - 80 of 108 Posts