HKPRO Forums banner

81 - 100 of 108 Posts

Registered
For people who got their reciver back does Tom Bostic send an email out before he return it?
All I got from Tom Bostic was a FedEx shipping notice from him in my email inbox. I rarely get anything from FedEx, so I looked and lord and behold it from Tom Bostic 馃お

Registered
Since I live about as far from Tom as possible within the contiguous US, I was finally able to pick up my TG36 receiver today from my FFL.

First impressions? Like it.

Assembled it back into a pistol until I re-file and await for another Form 1 to come back.

Color is good, wiped the entire firearm down with CLP, color is even between receiver and the furniture and grip assembly.

Everything fit together correctly, HK parts fit as if it was a factory part (just like Gen 1).

German G36 mags and Magpul G36 PMAGS lock right in perfectly and the BHO is perfect hand cycling it.

Serial inside the initial batch of 300 Tom has sent out. Tom laser engraved Trust info on the front left lower part of the receiver, saves me a trip to my local guy that does this work.

New markings on the left side are an improvement over the old huge TB banner on the old receivers.

Nice to have it back in a safe, even if it isn't quite ready for prime time.

Registered
Cut a slave pin out of any material. I use a dowel rod. While there is another method of holding the leg of the spring on the ledge with a screwdriver, the slave pin is the only way. Like I cannot stress it enough - use a slave pin and be done in a minute flat.
I 2nd the slave pin. It's nearly impossible without one. I used the slave pin from a Franklin Armory binary trigger. Fit perfectly and installed in seconds.

I had some FTF problems with mine but I think it's ammo related. I'm hoping to try some different ammo this week. My old receiver and gun never had a single malfunction and I'm hoping this one works just as well.

Registered
I had the occasion to install an extended XM8 style mag release today. My prior instructions hold for the original release. For the extended release you have to 鈥渃ome up from the bottom as opposed to pulling it down until the pin holes align. The horizontal release tabs prevent you from being able to compress the spring high and pull it downward. From the bottom up you will need a flathead to lift the leg of the spring up onto the shelf. Easy as can be.

Registered
Got my TG36 today. Looks great. Never actually had a T36 to compare it to. Got my T36 in trade, around the time of all the winter storms. That delayed arrival, and by the time it got here the TG36 story broke. So I just went to my FFL and stripped it all down as best I could by hand, and had them send the receiver to Tom.

Altogether, I'm very happy with it - and its worth the wait. The only thing I don't like is the FES markings/housing. And I have never liked multi-position semi-auto setups. If a third/fourth position doesn't do something, I don't want 'em. I might have to color-fill the markings with special attention to that Tatooine marking. I'm not much of a Star Wars guy, but it is still cool.

I have a G36 2-position semi-auto trigger housing I might convert for this gun. Or maybe I'll pick up one of Tom's AR trigger housings, and drop in a nice AR trigger. Not sure yet. I'm leaning towards the AR trigger just to send Tom a bit more bread.

I have a Spuhr magwell coming Monday that it'll wear, for sure, and a replica M320 in 37mm coming from Tom on Tuesday.

At some point soon, after I get through a move, I'm going to get my G36k out to Tom to pin/weld an extended flash hider so that I can put a stock on it.

Gonna be a lot of G36 fun coming up.
I didn't know his M320 clone was released...and I don't see it on his website.

I'm the same as you on my fire/safe markings...I went out of my way to get a 2 position lower for this and my TMP.

Premium Member
I didn't know his M320 clone was released...and I don't see it on his website.

I'm the same as you on my fire/safe markings...I went out of my way to get a 2 position lower for this and my TMP.
Not on the website, and it won't likely be going into production.
I got lucky due to the kindness of members here.

Premium Member
A slave pin is a pin of the same diameter as the actual pin but the slave pin is only as wide as the mag release. I will snap a pic here after a bit.

I have had my fair share of cussing at mag releases to arrive at this method. Bostic told me of the screw driver method but even for production he is using the slave pin method.
I need to find a slave pin. I had swapped out the STANAG adapter on my TG36 and wanted to put the G36 mag well back on and I fought for quite a while to get it back in place. Tom sent me a video of him using a screw driver to get it back in effortlessly. I clearly lack that skill. I'm pretty sure I sent the spring flying at least 10 times and swore so much my family was probably wondering what's going on in the garage. Finally got it back in after putting the firearm in a rifle stand and getting a friend to help. I DON'T want to do that again. Tom made it look easy in his video, but he's only done a few hundred or thousand of these so that's expected.

Registered
Looks like a dowel rod that is 4mm x 18.5mm (5/32 x .725" for all the unwashed masses) will do the trick. I have found that when my local hardware store doesn't have a dowel in the correct size, they usually have a drill bit that will work so I cut one down to work.

Premium Member
I need to find a slave pin. I had swapped out the STANAG adapter on my TG36 and wanted to put the G36 mag well back on and I fought for quite a while to get it back in place.
I once made a slave pin with a few toothpicks and scotch tape which worked well enough.

I've never tried it, but if you use the Spuhr AR15 magwell there is enough room towards the rear that you could dremel it out (there is a little coin battery compartment back there) so that the G36 release can stay in place while the AR15 magwell is installed.

Downside is that the Spuhr needs a special bolt-catch, but it is easy enough to install and should work with normal G36 mags too.

Not sure on any of that though .. I use AR15 mags full-time in my G36 guns. But I've heard good reports.

Registered
I got mine reassembled, though it took a lot of swearing. Slave pin or not, I had a heck of a time just getting the pin to fit the second hole of the mag lever with the spring in place. Either the spring was too thick or the back wall was too shallow, but this little subassembly required a lot of prying. Right around here I could feel the slave lose its grip and the pin would go off-axis again:

Once I got that to finally catch, the alignment to the last receiver hole was a cake walk.

Registered
I got mine reassembled, though it took a lot of swearing. Slave pin or not, I had a heck of a time just getting the pin to fit the second hole of the mag lever with the spring in place. Either the spring was too thick or the back wall was too shallow, but this little subassembly required a lot of prying. Right around here I could feel the slave lose its grip and the pin would go off-axis again:

Once I got that to finally catch, the alignment to the last receiver hole was a cake walk.
Interesting. Do you know the history of that particular mag catch/spring, like are they HK or GSG9? All of the polymer parts have a cooling aspect to them and can be subject to variances. Similarly the OD of the coil could be a problem or a perfect storm of the two.

Registered
It appears that some springs are tighter than others but even as you experienced they will go through. Thus, some spring coils are at the maximum OD. The problem is not isolated to just HK or aftermarket.

Premium Member
Sent both mine in, got shipping notice from Fedex when it was on its way back, picked up Friday took about 3 weeks. everything went back together perfectly. Filled out eform just need to submit and send in prints. Decided to use UPS store printing setup hope they do the job.

Registered
Test fired mine last Sunday. I used Frontier M193. 10rds suppressed with SOCOM-RC and 10rds unsupressed. Fired all 20rds no issue. Re-filed Form 1 the day I got it back. Waiting for approval.

Spoke with a special agent at the ATF Baltimore field office. I asked him about receiving a refund of $200 from the original taxed receiver. He said the NFA division would get with me. I won't hold my breath.

81 - 100 of 108 Posts