HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings to all! This is my first post, and I'm excited to also have my first HK! My new HK45 currently has 815 rounds through it. It didn't take me 815 rounds, however, to decide that this pistol is now my favorite!

I've never been a fanboy of any particular brand. I can appreciate a good gun, no matter who makes it. My current lineup consists of pistols made by Glock, Sig, Wilson, and now.......... HK! This pistol seems to be everything I like about my other pistols, however, all rolled into one gun! I carry mine 'cocked and locked' like a 1911, and have shot it in SA only since I purchased it.

You know, I thought the trigger on this thing was pretty darn good out of the box, but since I know I'm never going to sell it I decided to invest a little money in it. I did some research that lead me to Bruce Gray at Grayguns. The package I decided on is the "Heckler & Koch Reduced Reset Carry Perfection Package." I sent my HK45 to Bruce about a week ago after speaking to him on the phone. I'm also going to have Grayguns adjust/modify the trough area where my finger is getting pinched.

I'm still trying to learn all of the variants, presently. I read an article about the HK45 that Todd Green was shooting and it was the LEM version. After reading the article, I almost decided to convert mine to LEM. And then it occurred to me, "Why am I going to do this?" I discussed the whole issue with Bruce Gray, and he personally prefers the SA/DA version like mine. This issue appears to be personal preference, but then again, I'm still learning the whole HK thing anyway! You guys can let me know now what you think about the model I chose and the modifications that I decided on. :wink:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Greetings to all! This is my first post, and I'm excited to also have my first HK! My new HK45 currently has 815 rounds through it. It didn't take me 815 rounds, however, to decide that this pistol is now my favorite!

I've never been a fanboy of any particular brand. I can appreciate a good gun, no matter who makes it. My current lineup consists of pistols made by Glock, Sig, Wilson, and now.......... HK! This pistol seems to be everything I like about my other pistols, however, all rolled into one gun! I carry mine 'cocked and locked' like a 1911, and have shot it in SA only since I purchased it.

You know, I thought the trigger on this thing was pretty darn good out of the box, but since I know I'm never going to sell it I decided to invest a little money in it. I did some research that lead me to Bruce Gray at Grayguns. The package I decided on is the "Heckler & Koch Reduced Reset Carry Perfection Package." I sent my HK45 to Bruce about a week ago after speaking to him on the phone. I'm also going to have Grayguns adjust/modify the trough area where my finger is getting pinched.

I'm still trying to learn all of the variants, presently. I read an article about the HK45 that Todd Green was shooting and it was the LEM version. After reading the article, I almost decided to convert mine to LEM. And then it occurred to me, "Why am I going to do this?" I discussed the whole issue with Bruce Gray, and he personally prefers the SA/DA version like mine. This issue appears to be personal preference, but then again, I'm still learning the whole HK thing anyway! You guys can let me know now what you think about the model I chose and the modifications that I decided on. :wink:
Why do any of it right away. Break it in first. Learn how to shoot DA/SA (if you haven't already). Why void the warranty with HK?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
GGI stands behind their work for life, and I bet HK would back any material defect should something break, but on your HK45 that's unlikely.

GGI rocks, you'll love their work. Here are my GGI HKs, pure perfection! P30 for HD, SK for EDC, HK45C just because (and it can do either HD or CCW!)

·
Registered
16 Posts
My LEM P30 went to Gray's. I had Heinie sights added with the reset reduction. I've been very pleased with the work his shop does. He is fairly expensive, but he does quality work (kind of like an HK).

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Why do any of it right away. Break it in first. Learn how to shoot DA/SA (if you haven't already). Why void the warranty with HK?
Agreed. It's like getting a new BMW M3 and changing the transmission and paint immediately lol…. Never understood why people buy HK, don't break there pistols in, don't get a feel for them, and automatically want a trigger job because its the cool thing to do on HK Pro :wink: lol

Congrats on the new HK45 budd! Enjoy :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Not to mention that he should use that money towards a second HK immediately!! Anyhow, Enjoy!

·
Registered
26 Posts
OP says 800 rounds through already. I would consider it broken in though that's nothing compared to it's service life. Another HK would be money well spent but it's tax return season, spend what you want. Hoping to pick up a USP myself.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Not to mention that he should use that money towards a second HK immediately!! Anyhow, Enjoy!
Well said :) lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Agreed. It's like getting a new BMW M3 and changing the transmission and paint immediately lol…. Never understood why people buy HK, don't break there pistols in, don't get a feel for them, and automatically want a trigger job because its the cool thing to do on HK Pro :wink: lol

Quite honestly, I didn't realize that it was the "cool thing to do on HK Pro." :wink: I actually made the decision after discussing the issue with a friend on another forum that has 2 GGI guns. About breaking my new pistol in... well, it does have over 800 rounds through it, so it's pretty well broken in.

A few other responses indicated that I could have/should have spent the money on another HK, but the money really isn't an issue. When I'm ready to purchase my next HK, a P30, I'll just go get it.

·
Registered
261 Posts
You'll be happy with the GGI work. Pleased with both the P30 and P30L I had done there. Very smooth. As money comes available, I now have a new-to-me HK45C that may make the trip over there. Converting it to LEM first though once the parts show up.

·
Registered
162 Posts
A few other responses indicated that I could have/should have spent the money on another HK, but the money really isn't an issue. When I'm ready to purchase my next HK, a P30, I'll just go get it.
OK, well now I'm just jealous. BTW, I love my P30 and I'm sure you'll be getting yours soon. Best of luck with your new and improved HK

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Quite honestly, I didn't realize that it was the "cool thing to do on HK Pro." :wink: I actually made the decision after discussing the issue with a friend on another forum that has 2 GGI guns. About breaking my new pistol in... well, it does have over 800 rounds through it, so it's pretty well broken in.

Don't worry about the 'Trigger Job Haters' here, they're just jealous... ;)

Personally, I had @1K rounds thought each gun before I sent them in. The HK45C was kind of an impulse decision, I justified it as 'I'll send it to GGI for Heinies and since it's there, I might as well get the RRCDP...'

Once it was back, the P30 & SK had to go.

Haters will tell you 'learn to shoot the stock trigger'. I did and could do it if I needed to. But I wanted to have some GGI HKs, with super sweet triggers. And I had the $$$ to do it. And it didn't affect my ability to purchase other weapons (bought a SCAR 16 & Benelli M2 the next month). And my shooting habits haven't changed because I dropped some coin on action work.

I will say I do hate highly customized guns that are sent off NIB, then sold a month later after 50rds cuz it just didn't feel right. Then the owners expect to recoup all their expenses in doing so. Tht **** makes me laugh at their stupidity...

Trigger job haters are almost as bad as the LEM haters who think we just do it to 'be cool'... Like I honestly care what pimply 11-years olds think... :) <humor, sarcasim, etc intended in case thin skinned people get their panties in a bunch>

Cheers,

Rhino

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Wow OP! Don't know where to start the Congrats! at?

Welcome to the forum and awesome choice of manufacturer, model and who you chose to do your trigger work!

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Yeah, for many members on here money isn't the issue, that's why we own several HK's lol….. Shoot in that case i highly recommend picking up the P30 ASAP, you'll love it. Own one myself and it's an awesome pistol.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Don't mean to derail the thread, but I have a quick question. I traded my v3 p30 for a v2(?) lem, and as you know, it has nowhere near the trigger of the 45c in lem. Would the Grayguns reworked p30 trigger be fairly similar to the stock 45c trigger as far as reset goes? I made the trade in the first place to try and stay with one system and all, but I didn't realize it's such a big difference.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Don't mean to derail the thread, but I have a quick question. I traded my v3 p30 for a v2(?) lem, and as you know, it has nowhere near the trigger of the 45c in lem. Would the Grayguns reworked p30 trigger be fairly similar to the stock 45c trigger as far as reset goes? I made the trade in the first place to try and stay with one system and all, but I didn't realize it's such a big difference.
I highly recommend that you contact Grayguns and discuss your question with them. The only thing that I can presently tell you, is that those that have chosen GGI for their mods have been extremely satisfied with the results thereof.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Yea that's what I was kinda thinking. I've only heard great things about their work though.

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts

Exactly how I feel.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts